Is it possible to come back after many years?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mindell, Dec 21, 2021.

1. HotDiggity New Member

Feel free to come to Bristlebane, it's quite active as well and there are a few guilds that are open to new and returning members of any level. Restarting, you will find that you would catch up pretty quickly anyway.
    Celephane and Nennius like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Coming back to EQ now is not viable unless you can solo missions to exp from 110 to 120. Grinding the exp will be horrendous so unless you can get someone to run the old missions and give you Task Adds it may be hard to do unless you box a group. That is how Daybreak wants things to go now.

The only ones who dont suffer are 24/7 auto boxers using cheats to play non stop. They can still grind exp no problem even at reduced levels.
    Bobokin likes this.
  3. Alnitak Augur

Oh, C'mon! Stop this "exaggerration" already.
    In ToL all 4 Hero missions + Paragon achievement give 115% of the level experience in total. If your goal is to hit lvl 120, then without doing Hero missions you need to find a way to level up to lvl 118 + 85%.
    Similarly, in ToV you'd need to level up to 113 + 80% without Heroes.
    And that can be done in a small group of casual players, or as a duo + 2 merc. (Yes, some, even many, people can solo Kael Partisan, but those people are not casual leveling-up solo players).

So, in my opinion, if anyone can get to lvl 113+80% by a casual play, then that same player can keep going to 115. After all, all it takes for 120% of level experience - to kill 2400 trash mobs in EW or GD, and that is in a group and without exp booster.
    Similarly - getting to 120, although the number may bump up to 3K mobs.
    Annoying, miserable, long - yes. Impossible - no.

And on my server thre is always an offer or two for Heroic mission Taskadds for a pocket change - like 400-500K total for all 4 ToV, and about 1mil or so for ToL 4-mission run. People are ok with buying gear/items at bazaar to improve their toons, why nit buy TA's to level up ?
    And 1.5mil pp is less than half of a Krono, or about 3-4 hours worth of tradeskill combines. Not really a large sum.
    Ozon likes this.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Buy Krono, I already recommend that route. It's a win, win, win for everybody.
  5. Alnitak Augur

I buy Kronos at times, with platinum, useful for my f2p accounts to receive their Auto-grant AA's and for a month to earn extra AA's to boost their usefulness.
  6. NinjutsuMMO Augur

Come try Agnarr server!
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I was being facetious. You can't tell people coming back to a game to open up their wallet to spend money just to catch up.
    Treage_Imminent and Bobokin like this.
  8. Alnitak Augur

I know "being facetious" is your forte.
    And my post was about characters level 113 + 80%. Those are not "coming back to a game", those are just players. And if a lvl 113 character doesn't have a few million pp in the bank it just means that getting taskadds is not the only problem, and not even the biggest problem.
    The T3 gear set at 115 requires at least 400K to buy infusion medium from merchants and tradeskill components to make the faded gear containers. And quite another chunk of change just to get to that level - TBL gear needs pp (about 300K worth), Snowbound gear (just visibles) needs pp (about 200K worth). Or the character will be undergeared and uncapable in ToV.
    Solving pp income problem is a necessity. Some are lazy (or short on time) and sell Kronos, some use various in-game pp-making sources. It has to be done to level up, one way or another. It's DPG decision not my.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

How casual was your casual play doing that? I did that when they first changed over and I was at it every day playing many hours each day grinding in the current expansion at the time. I know how long it took me.

And I run a casual guild. I see the folks trying to get TAs or missions when others are well past an expansion. I see the problems these folks have trying to get someone interested in doing old missions. Sure if there were lots of returning folks they could do them together but there is never enough for that most of the time.

Folks get very discouraged at how little grind exp they get. I hear about that. Do you? Are you in a guild where you would hear that? Are you hanging with lots of casuals to hear it?
    Bobokin, Treage_Imminent and Skrab like this.
  10. Roxas MM Augur

welcome back on AB. after playing a tlp server from start to finish i landed on AB as well. we met some very nice people there both helpful and very friendly.
    but yes, join general, join a guild and relax, just enjoy yourself.
    btw yinla, that other casual guild is called Age of Unity, right ;)

Yinla likes this.
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yes its possible many people come back after being away a long time. Best is to get a heroic char makes you 85 and you can group with a 115 and get xp need 90 to group with a 120. For me xp started getting really slow at like 107-108ish so when it came for xp i switched to aa xp and for real xp i used overseer it takes awhile but eventually gets the job done and you can get alot of nice stuff in overseer but you need to be 85 to use it /over i play on FV willing to help people out. Also try to find a nice family guild would do wonders and make you enjoy the game more.

Andarriel
  12. Geko Elder

Yes. If you want to get back into the game and have people to play with I would recommend buying TOL expansion... don't go Gold Status yet.

Then buy 5 Krono ($85) and a Heroic Character ($35).

Go to the general channel and offer someone 5 krono to take you from 85 to 110.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Stop whining. I've done only the following due to work being a bear, and most of my available time taken up by raiding, in the two weeks the expansion has been out:

1) One round of missions (4 missions) in a guild group, about 80 minutes total
    2) Maiden's Eye 3 merc tasks (solo), took maybe 2 hours
    3) Overseer
    4) Used banked overseer rewards and a couple ToV collects

I'm halfway through 119. Its not that freaking hard.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Wow, so you mean if you commit to regularly playing EQ in a raid guild you can make progress easily? Who would’ve thought that building a lifestyle around EQ would lead to avoiding the issues Corwhyn talks about.
    Bobokin likes this.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Who would have thought if you bother logging on and actually trying, you can complete tasks in an easy game?

Make friends, or at least participate in the community, its not a solo game.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Quite true, and as others have noted; Be social and make friends. It makes things soooo much more fun.

P.S. Several guilds on Bristlebane advertise regularly in general chat for new members. Monitor it and join a guild. If it doesn't work out then you can always deguild and join another guild.
    Celephane likes this.
  17. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You’re right it’s a box, bot and Krono game.
    Bobokin likes this.
  18. tanith Augur

Oh dear
    So many assumptions....
    Not all players want to rush to the endgame, many are here to enjoy the journey.
    Not all folk are desperate to max their character by getting all the 'right quests done at the right time'
    Many classes can manage perfectly well in group content with sub-optimal gear.

We see people give away (not sell) TAs all the time (yes some ppl sell them too)
    Several times a week I, and many others I know, go and smack something for a lowbie/someone who's got stuck. Help is there if you ask for it (as long as you're not begging all day every day.

You don't need to throw RL cash at anything, there's plenty you can farm/forage (a trader is worth having), such as tradeskill/collectible rares from out of the way places to make enough plat to cover normal expenses.
    Yinla, ExecutionDbl9 and Celephane like this.
  19. Samatman Augur

I find it quite interesting that the people with rk III spells and gear think the game begins at level cap; and the most important thing to do is get our lazy xxx's right there so we can have finished the game with the rest of you.

The game starts at level 1 and progresses. Some people like the game and want to see it rather than buy kronos, buy PLs, get TAs and skip the game's content to go play the end game-mini game of getting the next best aug.

The game went on rails at CoTF with the AA powerups that required progression. No one that is below level 100 even knows about that stuff and they will never complete those power ups. Why do you even want them in your group/raid when they have these deficits? Fortunately, there is still a lot of game to play for people at lower levels. Sadly, mostly solo/molo, but I find people all the time that are doing this content and enjoying it. Do some /who all xx xx and you will find lots of people that are below 85 (and not in /baz). Lots of people <= 110 (the free to play cap). We are all just enjoying the game world that most of you have already forgotten about.

At level 66 they haven't even been to TSS, TBS, SoD, or HoT (yes skip SoF and Underfoot)- all great content. Find a friend, hire some mercs. I think that stuff is worth doing/experiencing for the fun of it. Get Jonas' Hand, Get the Bayle Crest. This is good stuff that if you want to experience Everquest you should play through this very well done content. If you want to skip it all to have a social game of min/max at level cap, everyone has that available to them in spades for $/pp/krono.
    Bobokin, Yinla and ExecutionDbl9 like this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I bounced quite frequently between EQ1 and EQ2. There are some similarities, but EQ2 is FAR kinder to its players by way of Quality of Life enhancements, XP bonuses, etc.

At level 66 I must tell you that most, if not all, of the zones you'll solo grind in will be 100% empty of other players. My very best advice, if you wish to progress at anything quicker than a freezing snail's pace, is to be social. Make some friends. Join a guild. Find your people - they'll help provide resources and company to ease the sting of catching up.

Welcome back to Norrath. Remember that the journey is the game and to cherish it. Don't rush through it. :)
    Treage_Imminent and Bobokin like this.