ToL Mission strategy

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Qimble, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Qimble Augur

Wrote up some notes on what worked for us on the ToL missions and figured I would post it here for those who don't want to figure out the strategy on their own, if I'm missing any ways to deal with mechanics that we just ate and healed through I'd appreciate any tips you've got.

Overall difficulty on them is pretty low going in at 115 in CoV raid gear. We beat all of them at least twice to confirm various mechanics and test changes as they went live.

Shei Vinitras- Dude up on a platform. Casts a reverse DS on the tank but does low melee damage. The reverse DS is minimal damage (less than 3k per hit) and the bosses melee damage is minimal. 2 kinds of adds spawn. One slowly paths up to the boss, if it gets there it heals them. Didn't bother trying to kill them, just kept DPSing. (we did test killing them, they have fairly low HP so if you're in a lower DPS group you should switch off the boss to them as soon as they appear) Second add type was a weird alien dude that spawns up near the bosses platform, these hurt but have low HP and don't fight back at first. If you've got a bard or enchanter their charms will trigger a bane that kills these instantly. I'm guessing that roots or snares will as well since that works for the raid version but we didn't test them. If you don't kill them they explode, the AOE damage is pretty significant. (with a group of mains it was knocking the non-tanks down to around 40-50% HP) The occasionally emotes someone and says he finds them unworthy. This puts a doom on the target that will DT them if it's allowed to expire. It says it has 20 counters but it appeared that a single radiant cure wasn't enough. Bard cure appeared to cure it. Pally splash (at least if twincast) cures it. It does not say what kind of counters it has, I am assuming curse. Basic strat we used was DPS boss with everyone on platform. Burn down alien adds, using defensive disc's and having shield flash ready in case they explode. Use cures on whoever gets the DT emote.

Aten Ha Ra- Kill weak adds, at this time they are humanoid and blue con so rogue's get to feast. Boss goes active after adds are dead.(I think the boss will also go live on a timer, but our DPS worked out with the boss going live right as the adds died) Boss will place an aura around someone. Have to tank the boss at one edge of the fight area so that the target (or whole group if the MT is targeted) can get away. When it goes off it's a silence / FD. Giant golems will occasionally spawn and slowly take a randomish path across the room, they have an aura around them that does a stun. Boss currently summons, so easiest way to handle it is have the heals/DPS avoid the golems while the tank eats it. Occasionally gargoyles will swoop down and put a DoT on someone. Damage is pretty manageable. Once boss drops below 50% two blobs will spawn. More than likely they will touch each other and combine which spawns a shadow that runs to the boss and goes boom. No big deal, just heal through it. Melee will have to stand inside the blobs to do any damage because their hit rings and graphics don't even come close to matching up. Once all the blobs are dead switch back to the boss and kill.

Oubliette of Light- 2 adds spawn and path towards you, once these are dead the first mini goes active and runs at you. Have the healer stay in the entry room with their face in the corner. Default tank position center of the doorway from the zone in room with your back to the threshold. (but stay just inside the main area or else you risk leashing / resetting the event) Secondary tank position when you have to move is just past the first doorway. L/R doesn't matter so long as you're matched up with which corner your healer has their face in the entry room. Once the mini goes active at set intervals there will be an emote about "the light from some of the lamps drops to the floor" or something like that. When that happens 4 lights will appear, there appear to be 2 spawn patterns. If they are just to the sides of your default tank position, move to secondary. If you're at secondary and they spawn on the walkway rather than corners, move back to default. After a few seconds the lights will turn into shades that slowly follow a set path. They constantly emit a 15s duration skill/spell silence that's also a 200k DoT in the aura around them. You can avoid this by using those tank positions. After first mini dies, you get 2 more of the adds. You'll have to deal with the movement / lights while killing them. Once they go down second mini will go active. During the second mini he will regularly emote "umbral claps". 5-15s later he will flux 4 non-MTs. So if you aren't the MT you just duck into a side room or the entry room and LoS him. The flux attempts to send you into the opening in the center and throw you down to the mobs below. After the second mini dies there's a short break then the boss goes active. He's at the far end of the hallways from the entryway. As you burn him down he'll spawn 3 jailers at HP intervals. He is unkillable until the 3rd jailer dies. There's a ton of different AoEs going on, the only one that seemed like it might be a problem is "Grasping hands" which are yellow. If you see yellow, haul out of it. Otherwise just kill him until jailer spawns -> kill jailer -> kill him. Incoming damage on tank is consistently low if you avoid the silence and don't get flux'd off the edge and spawn adds.

Close the Gate- Ring event. Wave 1: 3 mobs, the beetle types are mezzable. Drag them over to the red tentacle things on the other side of the blood river and tank them in it. They deal fairly low damage each, and combined it's still fairly low. Not snarable. Wave 2: A gargoyle and a stone grabber. DPS the gargoyle first. You need it to get hit by the stone grabbers AOE while it's immune to damage. It does self heal and become vulnerable to damage again without getitng hit with the AOE, but it'll relock. So just keep on it until it dies, then kill the stone grabber. Low incoming damage. Wave 3: series of 3 mini's in sequence. First 2 we ignored mechanics because the downside wasn't significant. (second one has a simon says emote, but the damage for failure was only ~1/3rd of our cleric's HP) 3rd one spawns 3 adds. Deadly shade (immune to CC) shade (mezzable) a waning shade (charmable, can be kept charmed until the end of the event and killed after the chest is opened) Fairly low incoming damage if you mezz/charm the CCable adds. Wave 4: Big cool looking shadow monster. As far as we could tell no mechanics really worth worrying about. Kill him and open your chest. Low incoming damage. This might be soloable at 115 in raid gear for a pally with unlimited patience or a bored SK with a few minutes to spare.
    Windance, Galamann, Shindius and 12 others like this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

While I do appreciate the summaries, I really couldn't care less about what raid geared players can and can't do on missions. I want to hear experiences from non-raiders/group geared players.
  3. Duder Augur

Cool story, wait for one of their posts then. Rude.
    Vumad, Shindius, Roxas MM and 14 others like this.
  4. zleski Augur

Do you hear yourself? What you wrote is coming off as "I'm upset because you shared something that I don't care about." OP took time out of their day to write about how they see the new missions when they could have not shared, leaving people in the dark.
  5. Marton Augur

Thanks for taking time to write up mission strats OP.

@Velisaris. Your post comes across rather rude.
    Shindius, Coagagin and Duder like this.
  6. Nomeregard hammackj

@qimble what do you think the next zlandicar will be out of the 4?
  7. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

It's eminently relevant. Was not rude at all. If anything the idea that things are completely kosher when group game is balanced when the focus is raid geared characters.... THAT is rude.
  8. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Did you bother to note that he DID express gratitude and thanks to the OP for the time taken to do the writeup????
  9. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Maybe you could try the missions and post your own experiences. Be sure not to read any of the details in this post before trying them though.
    Fenthen and Szilent like this.
  10. Marton Augur

Yes indeed, I noted he expressed gratitude; however, the way the post is worded still comes across rude.
  11. Tucoh Augur

Thanks, Qimble. As a group geared player this information is really helpful.
    I look forward to your writeups done with group-geared characters, especially to see how the writeup is substantially different.
    Shindius, Szilent, Sancus and 2 others like this.
  12. Qimble Augur

Both Shei and Close the Gate are incredibly easy. Close the Gate is probably the least DPS/heals dependent so I'd say that'll be the easy farm one for alt groups.

Sorry, I don't have access to any 115 toons without any raid gear or all relevant (or max) AA on the beta. I can probably test it with entirely group gear / high AA toons later this week assuming servers are stable. I *suspect* that Shei and Close the gate will be very easy for group geared / non max AA players. The other 2 are probably doable, but you'll need to pay close attention to the strategy and slow / CC / time burns to have it go off without a hitch. I did stay at CoV max AA, level 115, and no new gear/augs specifically to test them without the beta boost.
  13. Nomeregard hammackj

Thank you!
  14. Alnitak Augur

Do you have any info on Shei Vinitras HP and/or dps ? (besides the mission mechanics with reverse DS and healing adds you described above)
    Can you compare it to, say, Zlandicar mission ?
  15. Qimble Augur

Zlandi has higher damage on the tank and lower HP. (or maybe similar HP but Shei has higher regen, can't say for sure I'm just going off gut feeling)
    Alnitak likes this.
  16. Alnitak Augur

Thanx for the info!
  17. Jent Elder

Should be fun to iron these out, thanks for the write up!

Nomeregard is a very famous Necromancer in my opinion. Just on a side note.
  18. Velisaris_MS Augur

Thanks for the extra info. Was any of the testing you did with 3rd party programs/boxed toons? Or was it a group of real players on each toon?

And to others who thought my comment was rude, I'm sorry but I really and truly don't care about what's easy/hard for raiders in the group game. Just like most raiders really don't care whether group geared players are able to do certain things or not. Every year, it's the same thing...raiders steamrolling through group content in beta and then posting about how easy it is. That's in no way helpful to group geared players. OP's write-up on the strategies IS helpful, and I'm grateful for it. The fact he (or she) starts off by saying the difficulty was low because they're CoV raid geared isn't that useful for a group game player. Could I have used different wording in my statement and a lot of smiley faces? Maybe, but it wouldn't change the intent of my statement.
  19. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

1. All of that still doesn't negate the fact that your reply was crappy.
    2. These forums aren't all about you. Use some reading comprehension to take the info provided and evolve it to your specific situation. The fact that he says its easy at 115 in raid gear means that it should be very doable for 116+ group players in reasonably decent gear and some practice. Your post came across like it didn't matter what he said, if it didn't apply to your specific situation in eq you were going to poo poo on it.
    Duder and zleski like this.
  20. Qimble Augur

Real players on each toon playing their mains 100% manually. Didn't write GINA triggers because I haven't taken the time to teach myself how yet so we just sat on discord and called out the emotes.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.