Do Players Still Do Hero's Journey?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by lonegreywolf20, Dec 6, 2021.

1. lonegreywolf20 Journeyman

It has been a long while since I played Everquest. My date joined may say 2013, but I remember my first foray into Norrath was in Qeynos and being elated when I saw a wolf and it talked to me. I had no idea that it was a Druid until later and seeing as wolves are my favorite animal, it was only a matter of time before I started a Wood Elf Druid. His name was Lineren and I played on Veeshan. My first guild was Keepers of Life.

Anyway, sorry for the trip down memory lane. I still look very fondly on those beginning days and realize that I will never feel that sense of awe and wonder again, sadly.

So for my question, do players still do Hero's Journey? Is it recemmended to be done anymore? How does Crescent Reach work with the tutorial area? Seems that you would be over leveled for Hero's Journey if you stayed in the tutorial.

I had tried doing when it first came out, but never really got out of Crescent's Reach.

Thank you for your responses!
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

Hero's Journey is for bragging rights. As for "do people still do it?" yes. I just recently helped a guild member out with the last two missions (Coldain) to obtain their "Hero" title. There aren't many that do it, but there are people that still do.
    Nennius and KermittheFroglok like this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I think it is a great guide and there is nothing that says you have to do every quest listed.

I don't really consider Cresent Reach a level 1 zone - you need to do the tutorial at least for a few levels. Maybe just the NPC quests in the middle and kill some rats and bats quests.

But the tutorial is made to help you thru to level 14 ish. You get kicked out of the tutorial around that level or maybe 15.

When I start a new character I go thru the tutorial to about level 10 and then hop over to Cresent Reach for a couple of the quests in there. One for sure is the Staff of the Dark Apprentice (there is a caster version and a melee version).

After that out to the Moors and get the bag from the gnolls. Up to POK to finish another tutorial called "out of gloomingdeep" for some more free stuff.

I tend to get wrapped up in a zone and find it easier to see what I want to do by using Allah and looking up the zone name. In this case "Cresent Reach" and at the top are tabs that say "quests" and "quests in" and I go thru those and see what rewards I want.

But like most players in the game, I have a lot of characters who are no where near completing the entire Hero's Journey line.

Did not know there was a title "Hero" given. Now I will have to work on that:D
  4. Nomeregard hammackj

I am doing it, it is fairly fun. I hadn't played since POP so it was great to see new zones. I wasn't concerned about hitting 115 as fast as possible. I eventually over leveled most of the content but it is fun. I plan on finishing it, I find the quests engaging.
    Wdor and KermittheFroglok like this.
  5. KermittheFroglok Augur

A lot it depends on your server & how casual you are, etc. I do it with my alts & notice its mostly other casual players that aren't obsessed with getting their toons to endgame ASAP. Do people do it, yes for fun or something to do, is it the most optimal/fast progression anymore, likely not.

That's the beauty of EQ & its long/ongoing development, the first ~80ish levels feel like a sandbox where you can somewhat do whatever with a few different paths, after 80 it seems more linear.

My rule of thumb, play however makes you happy (and isn't impeding on others playtime) & play in a way that keeps you enjoying EQ, mix it up if you get bored of one thing. (e.g., I sometimes alternate old world (e.g. epics) & Hero's Journey.
    Wdor and Qelil like this.
  6. Knifen Augur

I did it all for the illusion clicky at end. Still nice to see alot of expansions I skipped out on after I came back.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. lonegreywolf20 Journeyman

What illusion does it give you?
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

capricious drakkin from shroud of the council
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I did it on my wizzy when it came out (she was max level) I'm now doing it on my rogue for the illusion. She is level 115 and only missing 2 sets of the LDON missions and 2 monster missions. She will get it finished soon :) Just need to find the patience to do the LDON missions.
    Sissruukk and Nennius like this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

You get a SoW run clicky from the tutorial. That is great until you get the AA for run speed, which is a while if you take your time and enjoy leveling, but can easily be a non-issue if you want it to be.

I never did the heroes journey. It came out long after my main and alts were made. However, I did recently make a 3-box crew to do it and I was enjoying it.

The game is FTP now, so boxing a SHM, DRU or etc for their abilities is a great tag along to make life easier when starting out.
  12. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I tried it, but Goru'kar Mesa required Brewing skill of ~180 trivial for come quest combines. So, didn't finish those which locks you out of the armor achievement reward.

Moved on to Blackfeather Roost, which required a Level 70 raid mob for level 50-55 achievement rewards.

If, this is what they intend new players to follow then it's basically just trash.
  13. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I'm 115 and I plan on going back to do it at some point just for the nostalgia factor
    Wdor likes this.
  14. minimind The Village Idiot

I frequently consider going back and running through the entire quest series... but then I remember that I hate running around Crescent Reach.
  15. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Goru'kar has some awful back and forth quests but if you can get past that the rest is fairly enjoyable. Dorina's Love and Ciodaru's Love specifically.
    Pelrond likes this.
  16. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

This has been something I've chipped away at for years when I have nothing better to work on. I'm like 9 achievements away and so very unmotivated haha.
    Shindius, Nennius and Qelil like this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

did it while I was bored over a couple summers. Wanted the Hero's Sigil of the Council, but tbh I only used it for a short time.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I dont mind doing quests on my ranger but i HATE monster missions!

Andarriel
    Toukan likes this.
  19. Gnomeland Augur

Useful in places, but has sections of it that just make you throw up your hands, so over all not a great experience for new players. A highly optimized run through the journey, with full knowledge of what to NOT do, can equip you pretty well up until 75 or so, when you can switch to doing adventures instead. But any one trying to follow the full path is going to be so frustrated they'll likely quit before they finish.

As with most aspects of this game, it's easily fixed. But nobody will bother to do it because new player experience on Live is just not a priority for the company. They would rather work on time lock servers because those bring in more players.
    Matik likes this.
  20. Matik New Member

For CR and moors they are fine, even the uber boss in moors can be done while red with a tank merc and the player just feeding torches to the fire thing. But once you get to stone hive it starts to fall apart, you will most likely need a group for queen which locks you out of the big gear reward until you won't need them anymore, same thing starts to happen in mesa, and shout out to the crafting quests which I wouldn't even waste my time with until I had level 59 tradeskill AAs.At that point just buying higher level defiant becomes much more reasonable even for fresh accounts because grinding vendor food is pretty easy if you pay attention.

I've been trying to do them as I level just for fun and completeness sake, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you already know you want to. Some quests become very time consuming, or have uber bosses that lock you out of the big meta-reward. I haven't gotten to roost yet or any of the higher zones but I can tell you I've never seen anyone else besides me trying to kill queen pelzia, or do the harder mesa ones, or even looking for help.... or really even anyone else in the zones. Going back to molo pelzia at 52 was fun, but certainly not an efficient way to level or get gear.