64-bit and custom UI's

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vizier, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Vizier Augur

Will the 64-bit client "upgrade" destroy our custom UI setups?
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I doubt UI and 64bit is related in any way. It is probably not anymore problematic than any other patch in that regard.
    Shindius and klanderso like this.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No. The UI has nothing to do with 32bit vs. 64bit.
    Shindius and klanderso like this.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

My custom UI works fine on 64 bit Beta. The only changes I have made are the normal ones for each expansion (added code for new ToL graphics in Achievements window).
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Why is upgrade in scarequotes?
    Winnowyl and Nennius like this.
  6. Bobokin Augur

Likely because many game upgrades just break stuff.

Look at Skyrim Anniversary Edition as an example.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It's funny you mentioned Skyrim. Skyrim Special Edition, released five years after regular Skyrim, was an upgrade to a 64-bit engine from 32-bit. It was much, much more stable than regular Skyrim, it ran better, and it had increased graphic fidelity, with the inclusion of god rays as an example. Every mod of note switched over to SSE. Updating Everquest to 64-bit could be a very good thing.

I wish Bethesda would actually make a new Elder Scrolls game instead of releasing the same game 43 different times.
  8. Riou EQResource

The next elder scrolls should be out in 2025 or so :p
  9. Zanarnar Augur

Just curious; aside from mods, which we knew well in advance would be broken by this update, what is broken? I've not been paying that much attention to it since I don't feel much need to play through it again after racking up 900+ hours in the original release and a similar number in the SE.
  10. Jennre Band Leader

RE: UIs, I have updated the affected Vert windows and removed some of the windows (default is used but skinned to match Vert. If you would like my updated version send me a tell in game, with your guild name (So I can add it to your inventory window).

It works fine in beta with no errors.
    Shindius likes this.
  11. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Post it on EQInterface :)
    Shindius likes this.
  12. Bobokin Augur

There were some save and load bugs, but most have been resolved.

Saying, "aside from mods" for Skyrim is like saying, "Aside from the paint, trim, and rims on your car, it looks great." Skyrim has lasted 10 years as a viable game because of mods. That is something DBG has totally written off for Everquest to its own detriment.
  13. Zanarnar Augur

ahh, ya bugs around save files are not good.

my point was the issue with mods isn't a bug, rather an intentional change in their build tools. Sucks for mods that are unmaintained for sure, but I guess that's what older versions of skyrim are for. I'm sure everything I had installed in SE still works there.
  14. Bobokin Augur

Skyrim Special Edition was recompiled to match Skyrim Anniversary Edition, so the hooks that mod software uses have moved, changed, or have been eliminated. SKSE and SkyUI did not work, and any mod that uses them will not either.

No, that part is not a bug, but for most of the Skyrim community, it is a huge part of the game. Imagine if mods could make Everquest look 10 years younger. Daybreak screwed the pooch on this. They should have welcomed better player mods instead of shutting down the program.
  15. Zanarnar Augur

WOW I didn't know that bit.. that is really, really dumb on their part. :| I'd be fine with them changing the toolchain for the newest release, going back and screwing up the older ones too.. its like they're trying to upset their long term customer base o_O

anyway enough derailing this thread.
  16. Yteran Lorekeeper

Have you tried boxing (multiple instances) with the 64 bit beta? Is it a resource hog or is it just as good as the current client? (or better?)

@fanra
  17. Bobokin Augur

One would think it would be faster if it takes advantage of 64 bit CPUs. That is, if it is optimized for it.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

No. I did a quick unscientific test of toons who did nothing other than sit.

Task Manager showed with two EQs running, normal server and beta:

CPU: Normal 11% or so. Beta (64 bit) 5% or so.
    Memory: Normal ~1 GB. Beta (64 bit) ~1.2 GB
    GPU: Normal ~60%. Beta (64 bit) ~19%

Half the CPU processing and 1/3 GPU is very impressive if it actually works out. Again, this is just looking at two toons, Normal in Bazaar and Beta in Plane of Knowledge. With an uptime of only a very short time.

Extensive testing would need to be done for actual values that have meaning. I just was looking and found it interesting, even if it is not a real test.

I would be very interested if some people doing raids with 54 toons would report if they see less (PC related) lag on Beta than normal servers.

I'm basically just going to wait for 64 bit to go live and then see. Right now, the game runs pretty well for me on live servers, except for server lag, which the 64 bit client should not effect.

Server load and Daybreak network issues are what are causing most issues I have. Of course, I do have my computer (which is a cheap years old system and was not anywhere near the top of the line when I bought it) optimized pretty well. So, it works well.

It does get annoying on raids at times, as well as grouping, when the game/spellcasting lags, and mobs stutter and jump back and forth as they move. However, I consider that server lag.
    Shindius likes this.
  19. Yteran Lorekeeper

Some of it could be UI lag. I had a recurring issue over the course of multiple servers/toons, and I traced it to a UI that I had been importing to new characters over the years. Starting new and remaking a (hopefully better) UI seemed to have solved it.

Sometimes in raids, I would get what seemed to be seconds (or even up to what seemed like a minute) behind the raid. I'd know because I'd hear about loot dropping off a mob that wasn't dead yet on my screen.

Even when boxing or grouping, it would happen - I'd get a few seconds behind. Spell gems would stay shaded out for the global cool down for very, very long periods of time.

After starting with a new UI/hotbottons (and deleting the old files first - there's more than one) it doesn't seem to do it anymore. Save the server/network connection lag.

Glad to hear the 64 bit client is performing at least as well as the original. I'm a little less concerned about it all now :) (I'll assume the slightly higher RAM use probably comes from the difference between bazaar and PoK.)
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Might have been except everyone else with me also has the same things happening.