Leveling Design and Quest Rewards

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Skrab, Nov 24, 2021.

1. DeadRagarr Augur

Yeah, but what if level 100-105 worked the same? Would you go back every time you met a random level 103 who couldn't find a group for a group mission for his progression through TDS? TOV/COV are still considered current. In 5 years they will be a distant memory.
    Sancus, Velisaris_MS and Skrab like this.
  2. Celephane Augur

Seriously? You are going to start down this road? Lets just not, it never ends.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Not gonna lie, ToV made leveling a new char so easy compared to pre-tov. Just needed to get him to level 100 then blow him up with xp from ToV progression. When ToL comes out, if it continues that paradigm, you'll be able to continue that and get a new char from level 100 to level 115+ extremely quickly.

Obviously people without friends / boxes cant just drag a new char through progression.
    Skrab likes this.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

It’s simultaneously super fast and super slow, just depends what type of player you are. I roll a box crew around, so it’s good for me but I see a lot of people 110+ grinding out in EoK zones. Just needs to be some way to get those people into ToV+, because they’re just going to burn out from minimal progress each play session.

It’s a real problem, group progression doesn’t become anymore popular as an expansion gets older. RoS required EoK progression and gear, and that was not popular at all. Leveling with achievement progression will be the same route.

There’s going to be more and more complaints and dissatisfaction with leveling from 110+, as nobody will want to waste their time running ToV missions. ToL taskadds will only get them so far.
    Sancus, Velisaris_MS and Tucoh like this.
  5. Riou EQResource

What's it called in Overseer when you pay to complete a quest and it makes the quest have a 4x+ fail rate compared to letting it run its course, pay to lose?
  6. Tucoh Augur

I'd love to know the stats on how much revenue overseer brings in. It seems pointless to p2w.
  7. Qelil Augur

That sounds about right and is the reason I never waste any DBC doing that once it became apparent to me they didn't want me to buy DBC and spend it this way. I'm not sure why this is but whatever.

There is perhaps a reason balance-wise or otherwise that I don't understand or haven't thought about but I do wish there was an ability to level productively in hot zones all the way to cap. They stop at level 95 so why not have 100, 105, 110, 115 hotzones? Why is that no doable? Along with this why not add corresponding tiers of defiant gear to go with it? All this does is open up another avenue for returning players to catch up, people playing alts to level up, etc. without requiring help from higher level players who already and fairly so have a busy agenda of their own.

I know I don't like asking people to do this for me or that for me that is old content of no benefit to them. I'd rather make my own way and trade favors when I actually have something to offer too. Is that bad?
    Jumbur likes this.
  8. Qelil Augur

As for overseer, this returning player a year ago started that and realized that in order to speed things up and make it become useful a lot faster I needed to blow money on agents, a lot of them so I could successfully take on missions and level all the areas of Overseer up as well. It's worth remembering that you start at ground zero with that. Yeah, it is good and useful I think once you max it out but until then not so much. The thing is, it takes a good amount of time doing it every day at least once if not twice to get it to max. A year later and I still don't have Xegony on one of my three accounts. I don't have a stable of backups either if somebody is out of commission for the rares, uncommons, etc.

I think pay to win is an overstatement here but pay to make it useful faster is helpful for a returning player, yes. You can't just return, fire up Overseer and soon have your 85 heroic at 115. That's not a real thing. And you can pay all you want for agents but honestly the diminishing returns are not worth it beyond blowing money when you start on it. After that, you just have to put in time. This is by no means any sort of rapid catch up feature. I do value it though. It is helpful. I am glad it is in the game.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Honestly, I don't think the intention with overseer is P2W at all. I believe them when they say it was meant as a help to people catching up.
    Yinla and Qelil like this.
  10. Qelil Augur

It succeeds there too I would say but the key point being it is a help. It's not a replacement for getting out there and playing which then still leaves the various issues being discussed up for discussion I guess.
    Jumbur and Nennius like this.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This is not my experience. I do the Recruit quests every time I can. Then, once I have 8 of any of the common type, I use them to give me an Uncommon. Any of the iconic uncommon, if I have 2, are used to get Rare. Then Rare to Elite.

Yes, I do not have every agent. But every 12 hours I can do 5 quests. (I only do the 12 hour quests). There is never a time I cannot get 5 quests of some type or duration running.

As for the time it takes, with the changes they made, the best agent for each spot is always first, although sometimes the second or third is just as good. So I can when in a hurry, just pick a quest, click the first guy for each slot, click start quest and that's it.

The common to uncommon is easy, every time I have 3 or more stacks of 8, I convert them to uncommon. Fast and easy. The only thing that takes time is the Uncommon to Rare and the Rare to Elite because I have to go in and find where there are 2 and make a list, although that might not even be necessary.

It does take maybe 10 or 15 minutes total. Considering even if xp was "normal" for the expansion, it would take much longer to get the regular xp the overseer quests reward.

My biggest worry is that Darkpaw will nerf Overseer. Right now, it's no cost, almost time-free: xp, collection items, etc.

From a gameplay standpoint, it can be a problem for those that don't like it, in that you are "forced" to do it or otherwise grind.
  12. Riou EQResource

The only time that the 1st agent isn't the best is when it matches penalties which the system doesn't seem to check, only the Job + Bonuses
    Qelil and Velisaris_MS like this.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My guess is that returnees and newbies who really need to catch-up, will need to socialize before they can get to max level, as moloing beyond 108, is extremely time-consuming now. Previously it was absolutely possible to molo-grind all the way to max level and then look for a raidguild.

Maybe DBG is relying on every server to have "leveling-guilds" or for raidguilds to open up for "low-level social membership". I mean, I can see the reasoning, but it is a change from earlier expansions.
    Maybe it will just make fresh players give up, or maybe it will make the servers a bit more social for the non-max population. It is too early to tell if it will fail imo, but it is a very "anti-molo" direction.
    Qelil likes this.
  14. Tappin Augur

People need to go out and do their research on micro transactions and cash cows. The majority of people don’t spend tons of cash on them, it’s just the minority few who tend to have addiction problems that do so. That’s why it’s considered predatory by many. Just because you don’t spend money on Overseers doesn’t mean they didn’t change something that’s been in the game for over 20 years to promote the sale of something else among a few other things.
  15. bigpapa Augur

i am sure many like the way it is now ,when TOV started and players saw the awful rate of reg xp going on , in FV some were selling one spot in mission for one krono, and trust me they were going fast at 1st. so 5 kronos for one task , 20 for all 4 tasks, and they were doing it 4 times a day.

not everyone got a beefy tank and not everyone are using 3rd party software to do these tasks ( missions ) on easy mode ,
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I am not saying they don't do pay to win, Im just saying that overseer is not an example of pay to win.
    Perks is an example of pay to win, buying raidgear for kronos bought with real money is pay to win.
    The in game advantage from overseer is too small to be pay to win.

"Classic" pay to win, allows whales to spend as much money as they want, without limits, while overseer is very limited in spending options. Overseer is not designed for whales...

If overseer was designed to be pay to win, they would have made the overseer rewards bigger, and allowed people to trade agents, with artificial scarcity on some agents.
    Imho it is the opposite of pay to win, as overseer removed the scarcity from collections, making it easier for poor players to finish collections. :)
  17. Tappin Augur

It is an example of pay to win. Not only do people use in that fashion, many use 3rd party software to automate it.
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

A limiter? No. Different than returning players remember? Yes.

I think you're gaslighting, Skrab. Go ask anyone how many max level alts they have now compared to before CoV.

Due to the CoV leveling method, I am sitting at 24 max level characters. I've never had this many. Now, I will admit some of this is due to having completed all expansion achievements on my main toons halfway through summer. I have more "spare" playtime where I'm not grinding into oblivion.

Not saying this is the only method, but to try and paint CoV achievement XP as a bad idea - I think you're missing the forest for the trees.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

On two accounts that does sum up to 40-60 minutes a day when doing it twice. Alot players have even more accounts. Precious game time that cannot be spend for other stuff like grindings mobs together with other players which does furthering the MMO erosion process. Overseer is just not that type of mini game that could be done during med breaks or after a raid wipe, it does require full attention and basically could only be done at the start and at the end of a gaming session.

Darkpaw has nerfed Overseer at least five times already and about with each monthly upgrade/patch in the first few months. The last nerf is just a few weeks ago and was a ~50% xp cut. All of them was unannounced and the nerfs do not solve the basic problems of this mini game. It should never had been put into the game. The damage that it did to the game was not visible right from the start but it has been manifested more and more which does mean that it is cleary visible now.
    Fian likes this.
  20. Vumad Cape Wearer

The Quest XP is a good thing but it is out of balance. As a low playtime player, I like that I can do everything once and be up to level. As an idealist and supporter of the community as a whole, it has significant drawbacks. The current design is a one and done. I believe there are a number of quests you don't get XP for. Quests should be something people choose over grinding because they like the way it is played, not a factor of charity. Quest XP should be good enough that players want to do it again, picking up people who need it for progression is just a positive side affect of a playstyle choice. Making quest replay-ability being solely a factor of charity is not a good idea.

I agree, except that quests should always be slightly more time efficient than grinding. This efficiency should always be determined by the intended fail rate. A grind group is almost always going to chain pull mobs from a stable camp is guaranteed a flat XP curve. Quests are rear loaded to the success. A group that fails a quest would get substantially less total XP than a grind group given the same time played. Quests also typically require more time LFG/LFM as they require a certain balance for success, such as a puller, 2 tanks, etc thaty grind groups are less sensitive too. Quests need more efficiency to offset the inefficiency of the risk of failure.

A simple quest with an almost guaranteed success rate should be about equal to what a grind group would earn in the same amount of play time, including the time it takes to restart the quest, etc. A complicated quest with either an extremely strong boss or a significantly complicated pull/split mechanic, should give a notable amount of additional XP compared to the same time as a group who is grinding.

In summation, the Quest XP is great, and should have always been in EQ, but the reward system does not take the time to factor in difficulty or replay-ability. All Ach have a very high XP reward for the first time completed, not reflective of the investment, and all the quests have a very low XP reward for the repeat, not reflective of the investment. (Disclaimer: I use ALL very loosely, as some quests are surely balanced in reward).

We also need to get rid of lockouts, using only loot lockouts, and perhaps an individual chest lockout, so as to allow repeating the same quest without over farming loot. Actually, just ditch chests and have a Currency lockout.
    Skrab likes this.