STOP KILLING MY PET!!!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demi, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Some devs who close / lock servers get it and do it right. They close the game out and don't just shut the server off, so zone cached data, like pets remain. Other devs apparently despise pet classes. Reset server, no warnings and kill all pets.\

Dear devs who understand how to NOT wipe all pets in world, PLEASE do it yorselves or teach the other devs what they are doing.

I remember the days of all pet classes running to shroudkeeper to keep the pet cached before a patch.

Stop it.

Seriously, stop it. It disadvantages pet classes. Melee classes log in and play, pet classes log in and... LFBuffs wtb pet toys.
    Qelil and Dragnath like this.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

That isn't the issue. it's which dev closes the server. Some know how and others do not apparently. It has to do with pet data being cached in zone data, not in char data and saved on disconnect.. i have all pet AAs on numerous characters. it is totally hit and miss if the dev doing the shutdown respects this or just "pulls the plug" and wipes the cache before it can save
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

also, quietly restarting all the servers, but no announcement more recent than wednesday, declaring the TL fail issue fixed leaves room for improvevent.

Not telling us this is going to happen and not having a countdown and not respecting pet cached data.

Serves no purpose. Normal patches now no longer eat all the pets, now it just happens on blind restarts (You have been disconnected) vs booting everyone to server select method, which properly caches pets.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

If the trigger for you canceling your 294 accounts is your SK pet (lol) getting depopped, you were going to quit anyway and were just looking for an excuse.
    Shindius and Dragnath like this.
  5. Dragnath Elder

WTB pet toys isn't much good if you are one of the first to log back in either.

Lost my pet again last night (not going to quit or anything), but the part that confuses me is my Cleric was near ToFS zone in instead of GH. Last time this happened to my Enchanter, and both of those characters only zoned in to TOFS once to get the Explorer Achievement in order to progress the Earring of Rallos Zek like 2 weeks ago.

This has happened in the past as well where I wake up in some random zone that I haven't been to in a long time. Oh well...
  6. denna New Member

I agree, obviously being a necro pets shouldn't always of often poof just because a server is restarted or whatnot. I dont always see this and some posters say that it depends how which dev does the server stop/start process.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

Wow I rarely lose a pet and I always have one geared and buffed. Only time I lose one is if I die and that is rare. Just log out. If you are that OCD and must stay logged in, log in to another character so your precious dott (pet) will survive to see another day.
  8. Randomized Augur

Not entirely sure when/how they decide if the server goes down to kill a pet. My BST and my Mage both kept their pets when I logged back in after the patch took everything offline. /shrug - if I would have lost one or both pets, meh, just summon a new one and go about the day
  9. Horse Journeyman

I main a BST and box a mage. I also do not like loosing my pets on a server crash :(
    Particularly after putting Conflagrant gear on my mage pet (never bother putting anything but summoned gear on the Bst pet)
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

By now doesn't everyone have a couple of mage alts and buff botts to boot? Maybe they can figure out a way to MGB Pet Gear at the lag pile too!
  11. GoneFission Augur

Pets can be killed in server crashes or maintenance even if they aren’t out. They can be killed even if you aren’t logged in when it happens.

It’s more than an inconvenience. People that don’t raid (like me) often give pets TS jewelry and conflagrant weapons and armor to give them enough AC and HP to stand up to current named. Even if you get the components through Overseer, that stuff can be expensive and time-consuming to make.

When I get myself or pet killed by misadventure, I suck it up and make a new pet and gear. The game shouldn’t be killing the pets off - they should be tracked like any other item I have, including their armaments and jewelry.

I usually petition for lost items when game updates or server crashes cause the loss. Some reps look at game logs and reimburse the loss, some are too lazy or busy to bother. Maybe they don’t understand that it matters. The most annoying responses are when they tell me it affected everyone, like that makes the loss acceptable for some reason.

One thing I’ve found is that who gives the pets items matters in their logs. The pet apparently has no item history, which makes sense under the circumstances. The item history is not with the pet owner, it’s with who gives them the item. If your pet owner isn’t your smith, should you ask for item return, note the character that made and gave the item to the pet. Or route everything the pet gets through the pet owner first. Otherwise, there’s no record of any items with either the pet or owner. Best of all would be proper tracking of the pets. If they can recreate the pet after zoning, the pet should be recreated after crashes or maintenance.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

1990 called and wants its tech back.
    Elyssanda and Flatchy like this.
  13. Corydon Augur

So much nonsense in a single post is astonishing.
    Dre. likes this.
  14. Enigma Maitreya Augur

Just my 2cp's ...
    I agree with what may be the majority here that losing pets is a PITA BUT let me make the case as to why this may be required / a good thing.

IF the pet and/or equipment is the cause of the problem then there would be no recourse but to delete them.

IF my belief that pets at a certain level or higher are created with the level appropriate items (which I would like to see clearly stated that this is jewelry, armor and weapons) is true, then this could be a solution, although not perfect, to the problem.
  15. Tintaglia Elder

Why do you need to leave your character logged in 24/7? Why does anybody? Asking for a friend.
    Dre., Flatchy and Herf like this.
  16. LostSoul Lorekeeper

I thought from the title this was a mage post, the fact an SK is complaining about losing their pet blows my mind. You are one whiny SK.
    Herf likes this.
  17. Dre. Altoholic

18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Is there a good gameplay related reason, why logging off or a server down, should kill a pet?

Or is it just a technical consideration?
  19. Vumad Cape Wearer

That might help reduce the game lag and crashes.

Maybe we as players should police ourselves and not blame the devs for the excess burdens we place on an old game for no reason. I get it if you are going to cook lunch, but if you are leaving your game running over night or all day while you are at work, for no reason, shame on you. The impact these people have on the game, the general channel, etc is not a positive one. Most games auto-disconnect you for being inactive more much shorter times. Crossout kicks you off the server after like 15 minutes of inactivity.

Maybe they should add a feature that if you are in the same non-combat zone (GL, POK, etc) for greater than 1 hour, your buff timers will start to tick down. It can probably be done with a song window buff that has a timer and goes away and refreshes on zoning.
    Dre. likes this.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Back in the day your time spent logged into the game allowed bonus's on certain features. Now it would only count on a server merges

Server Merge Standards:
    Naming Conflicts
    If, as a result of this server merge two or more characters have the same name, the conflict will be resolved as follows:
    • If two characters have the same name as a result of the server merge, the player that has logged in within the 60 days before the merge will retain the original character name. If there are still conflicts, the character with the higher number of minutes played will retain the original character name.