Devs, What's the highest level?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by HeatherPurrs, Nov 21, 2021.

1. HeatherPurrs Augur

You've leveled a toon molo from level 1 to?
    How do you play? Do you box? How many classes and races have you played for 7 days played time in the last year?

Thanks!
  2. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Well, they’re stuck in Gloomingdeep. So, I assume they never made it past the tutorial.
    Fenthen, Skuz, Roxas MM and 2 others like this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would assume many Darkpaw employees play at least casually. If I worked on EverQuest as a career, the very last thing I would want to do is spend my precious spare time playing it.
    Tarvas likes this.
  4. kizant Augur

Why in the world would you work on a game that you don't like?
    Fenthen, Skuz, Shindius and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Even if you love it, spending too much time on something increases burnout. Waking up Monday morning to QA your +1 / +2 gooderer perl script that generates a new expansion is going to be a lot harder if you spent the entire weekend playing your Shadowknight.

I love my job and even if I'm really interested in a project I forcibly push the ideas I'm working on out of my mind on the weekends / evenings just to stay fresh.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Just because I work there doesn't mean I want to play it like an addict. I can be passionate about what I do AND have different hobbies. That's allowed, yes? :eek:
  7. HeatherPurrs Augur

I just want them to admit they box and have never moloed anything for a few days played. They have no clue what the game is like at 115 if when not boxing a SK,Clc, Brd, whatever, whatever, whatever group.

They're those players with a SK for crowd control that constantly chant how easy everything is but if left to their own devices couldn't write a two hotbar three social hate cascade on a sk...
    Jumbur likes this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True. A lot of classes aren't molo-friendly at all, once you go into current expansions.
    Wizards in particular are rough to molo, as you have no way of filling both a tank and a healer role with only a merc, leaving only rootable/kiteable mobs as an option.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Though to be fair, except for a short list of classes there are better games out there to play than moloing live EQ. Between all the ADPS, synergy, class-types and group bonuses, EQ is and has always been a group game.

If you're frustrated at a poor moloing experience, you've only got yourself to blame for choosing to play a game that has never had a good soloing/moloing experience for current content except for a short list of classes.
    Skuz, Roxas MM, Wdor and 2 others like this.
  10. Randomized Augur

Or for not attempting to be social and get out of the molo'ing rut.

You can Molo to 115 without ever stepping foot into current content too. You can stay back and in the EoK/RoS/TBL era and overpower things. Slower, yes, but faster than trying to molo current content ;)
    Shindius likes this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I still have trouble overpowering quest mobs in TBL, when I try to molo partisan-quests there.
    Maybe it will be possible when I get to level 120...
  12. code-zero Augur

This request is a no win scenario. So suppose a dev says, "I resent this question, I personally play a warrior raid tank in a top 3 serverwide guild" they'd immediately get hate for that with accusations that they provide insider info to the guild. If one of the devs says they have molo/solo every race~class combo in the game to 115 with max AA and bis group gear in all slots there'd be demands for proof.

The don't owe you an admission of anything and you should feel bad for asking for it
    Szilent, Shindius, Randomized and 3 others like this.
  13. kizant Augur

Nobody said you have to be an addict but you're in the wrong industry if you aren't interested enough to play the game you're making.
    Fenthen, Skuz and Skrab like this.
  14. HeatherPurrs Augur

I don't agree. We all see classes and races disappearing and it's happening because the development is bad. And you should feel bad for supporting bad game development.
  15. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Ah so you stopped paying for EQ long ago right? It's not like they were balancing the classes for the last decade, so why are you even here if it just makes you feel bad? Go away and be happy.
    Celephane and code-zero like this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Jchan in her last interview said she played on TLP servers, Niente and Dzarn have both posted in the past that they play. A few others have also posted but names escape me right now.
  17. Allworth Elder

Would you eat at restaurant where the chef doesn't taste his own food?

All of the major WoW developers were active raiders and players. If a dev isn't playing their own game on their own time, that's a huge red flag.

I remember during the interview process for Sigil Games, one of the conditions of employment was that each prospective applicate was expected to play X amount of hours of Vanguard in their spare time. This makes sense, if a developer can not commit to playing/loving the game they are working on, chances are they are don't have the passion necessary to succeed in the video game industry.
    Fenthen likes this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

You ever develop a game professionally?
  19. Celephane Augur

WUT? Can I have some of what you are smoking? I don't even understand what you mean here.
  20. Zunnoab Augur

Why on earth should they respond to a topic as condescending as this? Just no.
    code-zero likes this.