Amazon and Daybreak teaming up for the next EverQuest?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Weird timing I was just looking at an MMO that Amazon Game Studios published...didn't even know they were in that business til today. I thought man I wish Jeff Bezos would buy Everquest and unleash the kraken!
    Elyssanda and Leerah like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'm not.

Microsft were a big part of why Vanguard had so many problems, they did not understand MMO games or what it took to make them at all then and I think they still don't have anyone there who does so in my opinion that would be one of the worst things that could happen.
  3. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Microsoft is the last one to be blamed on that. Brad mismanaged the poo-poo out of that project.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Microsoft (EDIT: had a regime change after the project started that meant the MS team who took Vanguard on left or moved and the new team that was made responsible had) badly misjudged the funding requirements and had no experience with MMO games, then pulled out when they did not want to commit further,(they wanted to release it immediately, more than a year earlier than planned, which is why Brad Approached Smed and asked if he could help) and that version of events is from people at MS as well as at Sigil.
    Brad certainly made mistakes, no doubt, but MS get let off the hook way too much.
    Svann2 likes this.
  5. Slasher Augur

MS is totally to blame. They basically said release it now we're done funding development.
    Skuz and Svann2 like this.
  6. Leerah Augur

Yes. And the Kindle Fire! And it will be amazingly stable with regular updating behind your back. Look at what Amazon Studios has done with classic SF and fantasy works, things nobody else was able to do. I'm always amazed by their acting and production quality.
    Considering how Amazon has parlayed their customer-centric philosophy so far, I'd sell stock in any other competing game companies.
  7. Igorath-Bertox Elder

And watch amazon become Daybreak's Activision. Plua Amazon is trash to begin with. Just look at Twitch.
  8. NinjutsuMMO Augur

The death of Everquest is in 2023 when pantheon comes out.
    I’m sure 2022 will be a fun year as daybreak will try and squeeze the last little bit of juice out of this lemon.
  9. Schadenfreude Augur

Pantheon is just Star Citizen with less backer money going down a black hole.
    Shindius and Tornat like this.
  10. Mossaa Augur

Or 2033
    Shindius and Koldanar like this.
  11. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

What do you expect them to do with a game that they gave a $30million budget and in 3 years produced nothing? SOE ended up doing all the development for it.

Microsoft isn't some dumb crowdfunding people throwing money at Pantheon.
    Shindius likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's not even close to being remotely accurate.

Sigil was founded in 2002, SoE gave Sigil 6 months to complete Vanguard & SoE employees helped on the final stage of Development clean up some technical problems after signing a co-publishing deal in May 2006, Vanguard launched January 30th 2007, 5 years & 30 million dollars worth of development which is a lot smaller than the budget for other MMO released/developed around that time.
    SoE were involved for just the last 6 months and the vast majority of the development was done by Sigil.
    Svann2 likes this.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Thats very like what they said in 2004.
    Shindius likes this.
  14. Angahran Augur

hasn't pantheon been 'coming soon' for the last decade ?
    Rasper Helpdesk, Shindius and Yinla like this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nope.
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Yeah for like the last 8 years.
  17. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You can get more money, if you actually develop a game and not what they did. Microsoft was hands off, from all the interviews I’ve seen and Sigil missed milestones. Big projects need to hit milestones to get more budget and they didn’t. Sigil 100% to blame for their own failure.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am sure the people who paid for alpha access will get that soon(tm)
    Shindius and Skrab like this.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I'd be shocked if my Alpha access ever happens. They've missed so many project targets I have written off that cash.
    Shindius likes this.
  20. Slasher Augur

I played the beta while it was still at MS they were very much on the way to a complete game. 30m is nothing for product development of an MMO.