Can someone explain why a 64-bit system is a big deal?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by WokeCat, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Gnothappening Augur

The worst part of luclin graphics updates were the pets for mage and necro. I'm not sure if people remember but they had these horrible skeletons at that time. I can't even find a picture of the luclin skeleton online. They were horrible though.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is still a minor increase and would only impact a few people so not sure I would call it a downside.
  3. Fell Augur

Lol, what? Of course they are. A larger executable means longer load times, regardless of how much memory you have. And even if you have 8, 16, or more RAM, when EQ uses more of it, there is less to go around for other processes running.

Is it a major downside? Probably not for most people. But if you have a system near the minimum requirements, or one you regularly run many other processes (even non-EQ processes) on, it very well may be.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

We know that as of now they recommend 3G/4G which is just up from 2G/4G. As of right now it tends to run under 1G in most cases and we have no evidence that we should see a drastic change at this time in what it needs.
  5. MustardonWatermelon Elder

6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

You may get a few weeks / months of a cheat free environment while the coders get busy re-writing their programs to be 64-bit compatible.
  7. Fell Augur

Which is what I said already. And we don't need to rely on DBG's statements here; the parameters of 64-bit conversion effects are well established.

That doesn't change the fact that most people likely see only drawbacks in the short term, albeit minor, perhaps imperceptible ones. Those few people already running at borderline memory usage, however, are a very different matter.
  8. Fell Augur

Not so lucky. The packet-inspectors won't be impacted at all, unfortunately, unless DBG also takes the time to modify their packet structure. Some of the automation proggies may be.
  9. Captain Video Augur

While such a conversion would not strictly be related to a 64-bit upgrade, a simultaneous global swapout of both client and server would be a perfect time to do this, and also, presumably, to encrypt the data.
    HimoShifu likes this.
  10. Gnothappening Augur

Yeah. If they make server stability improvements it is a net win for the community. If they don't, then I think it will be a net loss for anyone that only plays TLPs and cycles in and out of the newest flavor. Probably the biggest benefit will be in new expansions.
  11. Yami New Member

Windows 11 is said to be 64 bit only. So, I assume this is the main reason of moving towards 64 bit. I am really not looking forward to Windows 11, an upgraded system will cost even more. To optimize a Windows 11 machine it is now 32 Gb of memory instead of 16. Hopefully in the future part cost will go down.
  12. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

I honestly didn't even realize that they revamped Toxx Forest. As someone who plays with the original character models - I'm here for the nostalgia, so I want to play in nostalgia. I'm also not a fan of the revamped Freeport. I kinda miss that I won't be able to see OG Freeport in game anymore (does OG Freeport exist in P99?)

I also noticed the combining of East / West Commonlands, as well as Ro and Oasis. I miss the split zones, tbh. It might not be much, but it is something I miss.
    Gnothappening likes this.
  13. Mercanyin Augur

Just be happy that this game was not built on flash after it got hard killed at the beginning of the year.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

All the little flash web games I would play to kill time while camping something in EQ died. It was truly a sad day. :(
  15. Zanarnar Augur

W11 is a 64-bit OS sure, but it can still run 32-bit programs just fine.

It took Microsoft until Windows 7_64 to remove the 16-bit subsystem. For the record Windows 3.11 was the last shipping 16bit OS from Microsoft. We have some time before they remove the 32-bit application support. (and its still possible to re-enable the 16bit support all the way up through Windows 10. Not sure about 11 as I'm not moving to that.)

If your not keen on moving to 11 eventually, either, perhaps consider a move to Linux or even to a Mac. However keep in mind Windows 10 will keep being supported for years, and be usable even longer. So you don't NEED to move to 11 at all.
    Shindius likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Mac doesn't support 32 bit applications anymore and I think the same is for some flavors of linux. I know ubuntu talked about dropping 32 bit support back in 2019 but they backtracked on it. While there is no current indication that microsoft will drop support for 32 bit apps (or direct x 9) it is possible that is going to be a future change for them.
  17. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Go to the Bazzaar, blue dragon hall, search Krono. The max is 2 mil because of client base limitations on decimal places the same as old sysems have a problem with really long web addresses. Just not enough digits on the calculator for that operation. On FV server Krono sell for 5 million ish and can only be sold face to face with a player and not in the bazaar.
    Minecraft as released originally and as it is now are graphically VERY different. One of the things I love about Everquest is the walk through history lesson. The later the expansion, the more detailed, the more vibrant the colors. The old world flat pane looking graphics of say... Runnyeye are part of the game's charm. I worry about the changes. I used to play Minecraft, but deleted it when Microsoft updated it to Minecraft II. In fact I <just> bought a new console and new used original release of Minecraft on a console that will never get connected to the web.

If the graphics changes are too jarring, I bet P99 gets a lot on new blood.

(I've never been there. I like EQ enough to support it. A lot.)
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  18. Sandrito Elder

What I heard on the grapevine is the current 32 bit version of EQ is not entirely 100% compatible with Windows 11 which drops support for 32 bit apps. So it's more of a forced upgrade to keep the game going than creating any real new benefit. I sure wouldn't mind some texture updates though. I can't verify any of this as I don't have Windows 11.
  19. Zanarnar Augur

Whoever told you that is lying. Windows 11 will run 32-bit apps just fine. There is no 32bit version of the OS, but those are not the same thing.
    Shindius likes this.
  20. Captain Video Augur

I have recently upgraded my Surface Pro to Win11, and it is running the EQ client just fine.