Amazon and Daybreak teaming up for the next EverQuest?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Risiko Augur

2. Slasher Augur

That just says the current development team helped develop them other MMOs. Smedley is the head of Amazon Games in SD. It would make sense he has hired former devs he knows.
    Elyssanda, Wdor and Skuz like this.
  3. PatCleric Healer of Aradune

"and it appears that the game is still performing well" /giggle
    Svann2 likes this.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

The article makes the claim "The unnamed game will very certainly be developed by Daybreak Game Company," but I dont see any evidence to back that up.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I don’t either just seems like they’re using people with experience from DBG studios to develop the game.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I’m 99% sure it’s the Lord of the Rings game described in the EG7 presentation. (Not the current LOTRO game). Amazon is/was supposed to premier a Lord of the Rings TV show or miniseries.
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Last I saw it was cancelled over a dispute with Tencent.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-mmo-is-cancelled/

Would be interesting if that project was concerned to EQ3 though. Just rename Gondor to Qeynos, etc.
  8. klanderso Developer

Veterans != devs currently working on a thing :p
    Yinla, Wdor, Sancus and 5 others like this.
  9. DaciksBB Augur

This has nothing to do with this thread but
    01001110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100001
  10. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

This is the Veteran’s Lounge with mostly current players.
  11. Risiko Augur

hmmm....that is not a denial that Amazon is making an EverQuest game.

So, you're telling me... there's a chance!
    Svann2 likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Having read the article & never having heard of that website before I think it's safe to say that there is no AGS/DayBreak colIaboration afoot, that was just some very poorly worded spiel.

Smedley has been working on an unannounced Project at AGS since before New World even began production.

And having played & seen the mess New World released in I was not overly impressed, it does clearly have some talented folks working at the studio because some aspects of NW are fantastic, but the bugs have been clown-shoes award worthy, some things were just completely amateur /rookie mistakes.

Wdor likes this.
  13. Bobokin Augur

Mistakes - like starting your graphics card on fire?
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't remember any reports of that happening just cards getting bricked because of it.
  15. Risiko Augur

I went and read the actual job opening, and I have to agree that this has nothing to do with DBG. The article was poorly written. The job opening is claiming that they have developers (at Amazon) that have experience working on games made by DBG. As Klanderso said above, these are not current DBG employees. So, this likely has nothing to do with DBG nor EverQuest.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

In fairness the initial bug that caused card failures ended up being caused by a manufacturing fault that was exposed by New World. But it did go on to brick a few cards without such a fault.

Stuff like the chat system allowing active HTML....which had some hilarious side-effects like being able to put a yellow box on other players screen that blocked out their entire field of view

Look "Josh Strife Hayes" up on youtube he highlights some of the more hilarious bugs.
    Skrab likes this.
  17. Zipe The Healer

Certainly, having a login screen consume as much graphic card power while being idle as being ingame and having 8 hour queues on that login screen didn't help.

Nw could have been the mmo of the decade if their experiment worked. They tried to make something conceptually new, something like an action-mmorpg. With simple mechanics, simple interfaces. Everything was simple, even the guild tool, because they wanted to keep it simple.

They even thought that they were capable of controlling the natural server population by forcing lower populations, but this didn't work on an era of Streamers, groupies and big communities being pre-made. Nowadays pretending the communities of your new game will be 100% newly made for your game is delusional.

If NW were just a failed experiment or some playground of what Amazon is capable to do, I really strongly believe that any new MMO that they make will be a success.

Let's see how they deal with Lost Ark, I am specially curious of their capacity to deal with customers. Customer Service in NW can't be objectively taken into account because the game was a disaster from the very start and they were 24/7 on DEFCON 1 so It can't be a good measurement. But Lost Ark is will be more... Peaceful?.. let's see if they are capable to deal with the small implementation problems, the Microtransaction crisis and decisions they'll have to deal with, etc!
    Kalvenie likes this.
  18. Laronk Augur

I thought of NW as more a proof of what their engine lumberyard can do. But it's unlikely even with former eq devs that they're going to make a product tailored at us the everquest player really I hope any kinda mmo they make they try to be transformative with.

The most exciting mmo (not for people like us but in general) will be likely what ever facebook ends up doing but I imagine it will be a more accessible second life style mmo. Wonder if they call it MetaLife.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Amazon and Darkpaw/Daybreak teaming up? Not a chance in Brell.

If Amazon bought Daybreak from EG7....now that could be interesting.
    Bobokin likes this.
  20. KermittheFroglok Augur

I'm waiting for EG7 & it's portfolio of studios to get scooped up by Microsoft. Wouldn't that be funny to see a former flagship SOE franchise gradually migrate through the market over to Microsoft?