Sub-Max zones

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xhartor, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Xhartor Augur

Everquest has number of zones that aren't tied to the lore of a specific expansion, but were release for sub-max players. On live servers these a purpose because there was a very large sub max player base. However on TLP's these zones are mostly ghost towns because the sub max player base isn't there when the zones unlock.

It would be nice to see these moved up to unlock sooner so that they are available when players would find the content more beneficial.

The following zone should unlock with Luclin:
    Cazic Thule revamp
    Chardok B
    Plane of Hate revemp
    Sol C
    Veksar
    The LoY expansion

The following zone should unlock with Planes of Power:
    Veeshan's Peak revamp.
  2. Tintaglia Elder

LoY is indeed unlocking the same day as PoP. I believe SolC is as well. Can't comment on the others, but I agree that I'd like to see Veksar unlock as well. Good mix of live/dead.
  3. Xhartor Augur

A bunch of these unlock with LDoN, other with PoP. What I am saying is that should unlock sooner. If you included LoY with Luclin, Hate's Fury, Crypt of Nadox, and the back end of Torgiran mines are solid areas to AA grind. The Innoruuk and Captain Krasnok events are solid offnight targets, or raid filler until your guild gets into VT.

A lot of this could be applied to other zones on the list, however when they currently unlock those drops are largely obsolete as content.
  4. Bewts Augur

I would posit in certain cases it isn’t about level appropriate content, but itemization.

In example, things like melee focus items or heroic stats being introduced earlier than the expansion in which they are broadly introduced.
  5. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Who cares though, really? The nostalgia classic TLP is dead. Those things were a major problem on Sleeper/Combine because it was the first TLP. Fippy also had some out of era content and people still wanted nostalgia. Phinny was the first really truly successful TLP with AOC and no population voting. Phinny proved at least 90% of the player base has no desire to ever push to live.

Almost no one who missed the first 8 TLPs is like geeze lets load up EQ for the 10th TLP. They cannibalize their own player base anyways.

Effectively, it is almost like a new game to put out of era zones, and subsequently drops, in randomly during Classic/Kunark/Luclin. Entices people who maybe just don't want to grind thru Lguk/The Hole to sign up. I know half those zones I have never set foot in and would love a shot at them being relevant (which won't ever happen unless they adjust the release of those zones)
    TLP Addict likes this.
  6. Bewts Augur

If you’ve ever read my prior posts on similar topics if these (and there’s no reason you would have); I generally agree with opening zones earlier.

I’d rather they simply level cap for a period of time, and have a ton of expansions open or zones opened by a level range; see what ya can actually beat at certain levels… like how far can ya get in Kunark or Luclin with a level 50 cap and no AA… or PoP at 60.

I’m sure some content may get skipped along the way, but other content long forgotten or under utilized may become more relevant much earlier in TLP
  7. Gremin Augur

Lets be honest some expansions should not even be stand alone...DoN should unlock with OoW and PoR should unlock with DoDH. DoN and PoR are very limited content or garbage expansions that kill tlp servers.
    Tymeless likes this.
  8. Xhartor Augur

That's not really what this thread is about. As the content listed is already bundled in with other expansions. The idea is about pushing it forward to a point where the content is relevant.