Please fix Cloudy Potions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bobokin, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Bobokin Augur

Do you think players didn't ask for these potions to changed from 5 times use to infinite? Do you believe players didn't ask for them to be stackable? How about a change in the stack from 10 to 20? Things generally don't get changed if players don't express a problem.

Again, in the current context of the game, I believe they are broken, as do other players who have expressed similar thoughts. I did not say they were bugged, and I neither sent a bug report nor posted in the bugs area of this board. Put the broom away, and stop beating that straw man.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I think you would be wrong, they have been designed from the very start to be random and there are potions with a fixed duration that can be made with tradeskills. In the end making these cheap potions have a fixed duration will make other more expensive tradeskill ones worthless.

Even if they did want to make a change it would be a design change and not fixing something that is broken. No one is saying you can't ask for a change just that it should not be called broken as it is not. Since this thread started it appears to be about fixing something that isn't broken in the first place.
    Celephane likes this.
  3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

There nothing wrong with the potions and if they did fix them would probably give them a cast time do you guys want that?

Andarriel
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The instant cast that they currently have is the best part about them if you are not a class with an instant cast invis of some form.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

Last time I bother with this thread...

this isn't a problem. At all. If you want a fixed duration invis either make friends with someone who can cast it, or pay for on in POK and do your run, or you know.. buy some of these from your friendly neighborhood shammy.

There is an inherit risk to the Cloudy Potions, just like there is a risk of the "gate" spell collapsing. The fact that your so bad at the game that you cannot handle the simple audio triggers just about everyone else uses isn't the dev's fault. It doesn't make this item broken or worthless.

TL;DR; they don't need fixed. you do.
    Qelil likes this.
  6. Qelil Augur

Regarding stacking of cloudy potions, please see post number 2 here:

Invis Potions - Stacking beyond 20 | EverQuest Forums (daybreakgames.com)

I stopped there because I don't want to bother finding another post that comes out and states the obvious which is that these potions have always functioned as designed and nothing in the game has changed to require an update to that design philosophy.

I can appreciate wanting whatever somebody might want but this game by design imposes choices, difficulty and randomness. It adds to the experience in that many things have risks and consequences.

I would not expect this to change any time soon.

Although I sometimes died on my way to RSS running through MPG as just one example, I have to say it did really create a sense of tension and excitement. Will I make it? Will it drop at a bad time on me? This place is infested with mobs that are going to eat me if I fail to con one of the see invis mobs along the way, etc.

This may be old school but I honestly believe it adds to the experience not takes away from it. To see it that way though requires embracing the design philosophy of this game, not in bits and pieces but as a whole. All the classes get their various perks and all the classes have their various weaknesses. This is absolutely by design.

I'm sorry you don't like it and it frustrates you. I get that. I cannot honestly say I love dying to invis dropping unexpectedly and me getting aggro faster than an audio trigger can save me from. The potion may be instant but I am not unfortunately. That's all part of this game. To pick on a competitor, WoW has none of this and is a cakewalk. To me, that's not fun. It's boring. It's not immersive at all. That's just how I see it. I am not asking anyone else to see it the same way.

So, while I sympathize as somebody who's main does not have fixed invis either all I can say is try to accept this and move on because it is very unlikely to change. There is not going to be a homogenization of classes and their distinguishing abilities. There is ways around this though with their ups and downs and cloudy potions as they are happen to be one of them. I'm glad they put them in as they are. I'd be a lot more screwed without them, a lot more.

As a side note, I never carry more than 2 stacks, so 40 of them and I cannot recall ever running out of them. I also cannot recall such frequent dropping of invis as I've seen written about here, as in one after another repeatedly. I think somebody was having a particularly bad day vs the RNG when that happened. I rely on these at times and I can't recall that ever happening to me.

While we don't have scary naked corpse runs anymore and I have to admit I am fine with that because of the time it saves, what makes this game special and immersive for me at least is the sense of danger and excitement I get here that I have not felt anywhere else. I think it's a great design personally and don't believe watering it down in any way would be a good thing. I can think of a couple exceptions to my feelings here but they aren't relevant to this topic so I won't go there. I've done that elsewhere.
    Duder and Raytan like this.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea the instant cast is awesome why ppl should be able to deal with the randomness.

Andarriel
    Duder likes this.
  8. Duder Augur

You requested they be "fixed". Implying they were somehow broke. Adjust your wording perhaps. And yes, you have been kicking and screaming this whole thread. Grow up.
    Celephane and Smokezz like this.
  9. Bobokin Augur

Says the poster who goes ad hominem to try to get his points made. Projecting perhaps?
  10. Bobokin Augur

Did you read the responses?

Note that these potions could originally only be used five times in a given period. That was changed. They originally could not stack at all. That was changed. They could only stack to 10. That was changed. Nothing in the game has changed except the mob/character danger level which is much greater than it was even just a few years ago. That means the danger of a broke invis is much greater.

Is it the end of the world? No. Is it worth investigating? Yes.

This is understood, but corpse runs, low % rez, and now even payment for corpse retrieval in the guild lobby have all been changed to enhance play. PoK books were added, perm invis and camo were added, and other changes have been made. To simply play the risk/reward card for every changed that has been asked for would not have allowed for much change.

This is a simple ask. I doubt it will get changed soon, but it is guaranteed not to be changed if we don't provide feedback.
  11. Maedhros High King

I've been dealing with no personal invise as a paladin for 21 years and while it is mildly irritating to have to sometimes recast the invise potions, it is also just part of some of the charm/flavor/struggles of playing various classes and don't feel like it needs changed whatsoever.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are right that things about them have changed but you seem to be ignoring the fact that you can acquire invisibility potions with a fixed duration. There is no need to make a change to cloudy potions in order for anyone to get a fixed duration invisibility potion.

Making cloudy potions fixed duration would make a bunch of other potions/spells useless.
    Duder likes this.
  13. Duder Augur

You say this in response a lot. What is it accomplishing? You want to avoid the actual discussion where you are shown to be wrong?

Maybe you say that in response because you want to ignore when people show you just how unreasonable you are being. Hey guys, he said I was unreasonable in a less than perfect way (in my eyes), so his argument is not credible!!! You think they are broke because they work the way they were designed and you don't like it! So they should change it! We get it. You want it your way.
    Qelil and Celephane like this.
  14. Act of Valor The Newest Member

All of this ranting over having to make one extra single click. A mouse click. One.

Nothing is broken. Cloudy potions are not advertised to be perfected invisibility.
    Celephane, Duder and Qelil like this.
  15. Qelil Augur

Did I read the responses to Ngreth's post I linked to? No. I was interested in finding a developer comment, not more complaining about something that is functioning as designed.

If you think something is wrong that needs investigating then bug it with detailed info about what you are seeing that does not appear to be working correctly. If you aren't seeing anything that appears to be working incorrectly, well that's it then. You brought up your point here. I guess if a developer sees and takes note of it that might be worthwhile. Debating the issue with other users isn't a productive use of time. They are not in a position to do what you want done. I don't see any benefit to this back and forth here.
  16. Bruteforce New Member

Make an audio trigger for when it wears off or drops.
    Bigstomp and Duder like this.
  17. Bobokin Augur

I did not state it was a bug; I stated is was broken in the current context of the game. I have worked as a beta tester and I know the difference. I am not talking about the little amount of beta testing Darkpaw does with players for expansion packs; I am talking internal testing for a major software company.

With respect, that is exactly the purpose of this board; is it not: communication and feedback? I have been doing so since 1999 with Everquest, and many things I have brought up have been looked at and improved on. Sure, sometimes it is a dead end, but nothing changes unless players ask.

For example, myself and others brought up recently that the amount of points that could be banked for merc AAs was too low considering the increased cost of the merc AAs. The devs read it, considered it, and made the change. Anyone could have said, "It ain't broken or bugged, so why are you whining about that; you loser," as is often the case when change is asked for. As before, I made my case here, and it will either be considered or not. If I had not made a case, it most definitely would not have been considered.

Yes, Ngreth came on and made a comment in 2018. A lot changes in three years.

That goes both ways. There are players that jumped in to debate this, which is fine, but then some started to make personal attacks, which is false logic and is often the play of someone with a losing hand. This is not a politics board. There are no real "winners" here, but some players need to use the guise of anonymity to feel powerful. If a player disagrees, make that point, and see how the cards turn.
  18. Qelil Augur

I did not say you stated it was a bug and since I wouldn't bother checking to see I will gladly take your word for that.

I understand that you consider this broken to quote the word you use here and now you have made your feelings about this known. Good enough. If they read this and agree with you maybe it will change.

Meantime, you say a lot changes in three years and while I understand what you meant, on the other hand nothing has changed in terms of this issue since that post as far as I know in three years. So I guess both things are true. A lot changes and a lot does not.

This is quite unlikely to change in my view but you have every right to ask for whatever you like.
    Bobokin and Duder like this.