Do double exp weekends discourage people from playing?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by WokeCat, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

No, TLPs are meant to make money from people who don’t want to play Live.
  2. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

And why don't people want to play Live?

Because TLP offers a chance at a fresh start, and at least a semblance of recreating the OG EQ experience.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Mischief exp is really slow from what I see so far. Maybe it's just luclin but even the powerlevel deep groups advertise what I consider fairly slow exp.

Did selo spoil me in this regard? I dont know, but I do know most of us are tlp hoppers and the mindless grind could be cut in half and nobody would complain*.
  4. Fell Augur

Would tripling the exp gain be too fast for you? Quintupling it? If you truly believe that gaining experience is no more than a mindless grind to be dispensed with as quickly as possible, would you vote for eliminating it entirely? Any new expansion unlocks with a higher level or AA limit, all players are automatically exp-capped at the new, higher level.
  5. Razorfall Augur

I use xp bonus weekends to level the alts I normally wouldn't throughout the year. The problem is that it takes me a good hour or two to find a good spot because the botters have come out of the woodwork.
  6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

The biggest mistake they always do is the experience rate as the expansions progress.
    The experience rate should just increase for the lower levels as time moves forward would allow people to join a TLP already in progress and catchup or people who make alts.

Simple example:
    • Regular experience rate 1-50 classic
    • levels 1 - 40 increases by (x%) once kunark hits
    • levels 1 - 50 increases by (x%) once velious hits
    • levels 1 - 60 increases by (x%) once luclin hits
    • levels 1 - 60 & AA increases by (x%) once POP hits
    • etc, etc.
    What a silly rebuttal. Improving experience as any TLP server progresses would most likely benefit the server as a whole as people make alts or new players join or come to the party late.
    Skuz and Sunriver like this.
  7. Randomized Augur

Depends I guess

Does your time logged in during exp bonus trump all the exp you'd get normally outside of exp bonus? If the answer is yes, then your solution is to only play during bonus time. If the answer is no, then you're not getting the most value for your time by holding off either.

But I'm with quite a few others. I play to play and play when I play. Any bonuses that fall during my play time is just icing on the cake.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Mossaa Augur

You said that existing players should get less and less bonus. How is that not punishing?
  9. Fell Augur

Asking a question is not a rebuttal. If you're going to use rhetorical terms, use them correctly.

Possible so, possibly not. I could make the counterargument that, while it incentivizes new players, it's a disincentive for the older players who are effectively being retroactively penalized. The net overall benefit may still be positive, but it's an error to not recognize the two conflicting factors in operation.

But all this is moot, as its not what the OP was suggesting, and not to what I was responding.
  10. Fell Augur

I said nothing of the sort. I stated that, while bonus weekends do not achieve the OP's goal of narrowing the new/established player gap, that mechanics like semilogarithmic experience curves would. But I in no way, shape, or form said should a mechanic should be implemented -- and my personal opinion (expressedly vociferously and agressively across countless threads here) is in fact the exact opposite. I've never favored such game-mechanic crutches, in any form.
  11. Machen New Member

Personally I'd be just fine with this. And I say this as someone who is generally max aa pretty quickly.

I play to raid, so do most of my guildmates. The ones who don't have as much play time and can't quite keep up on AA? They are still putting in the equivalent of a part time job just keeping up with flags and raids and required group drops/augs. I'd be fine with them not also having to put an additional 5-10 hrs a week to aaxp to keep up.

I'm very much against removing flagging, making flagging easier, or removing progression. But the need to grind aa doesn't add anything valuable or enjoyable to me or anyone I know.

This is exactly what they did with group leader aaxp and raid leader aaxp (and I was maxed in both of those too before they got rid of them and gave those benefits to everyone.) I don't know anyone who's looked back and said, "You know, it was really cool when we had to grind for all those raid leader aa's. I miss that."
    Tymeless likes this.
  12. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

We’re like opposites, except the leadership AA points I agree with you. I like grinding AA and progressing a character build. I hate keying and flagging for raids. It’s always felt awful and used to cover up incomplete content and stretch out subscriptions.
  13. Machen New Member

Funny, I can't remember ever finishing aa's in any expansion before finishing flagging/progression. Maybe a few of the expansions that didn't have aa's? I'd say the aa grind is what stretches things out in most cases. People are generally done with everything else on their to do list before they finish grinding aa's, except during the level 70 stretch when there is so little new aa.