Wizards: Are they really that bad in the group game?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hiolpe, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Tucoh Augur

AE is so ingrained in a wizards psyche they are employing it in forumquest, dispersing wizard balance threads across the entire forum.
  2. Naugrin Augur

The damage was low enough that it went unnoticed by many.
    Kalvenie, Dre., Mongol311 and 8 others like this.
  3. Mongol311 A really bad wiz

/pewpewpew
  4. Tual Augur

I'm the opposite, I've moved over to the melee side of boxing, War, bst,bst, zerk,zerk, cler/sham depending on who I feel like playing. My dps is good, WW mobs basically melt. I had 2 wizards over 110 I had been working on for a few years part time, they got deleted about a month and a half ago due to not being able to do what I needed them to do, IMO they started declining in VoA, if not sooner.
    Mongol311 likes this.
  5. Malpheroth Elder

Every class has weaknesses. Rogues have no aoe damage, beastlords have mana problems, shadow knights can only kill 12 mobs at a time, paladins are still trying to dry their tears… poor monks probably got hit the worst with the avoidance/strike through/mob riposte damage changes but it hurts everyone. Coincidentally wizards just don’t provide a whole lot and maybe that is because the mob AC is so low that the magic damage is comparable damage at best to melee dps but way more difficult to utilize with fewer adps and longer burn timers.
    Roxas MM likes this.
  6. Mukkul Augur

What's "aDPS"? First time I've seen that term.
  7. Gialana Augur

I believe the "a" stands for attributed. If a character provides aDPS, they are doing something which increases the DPS of another character rather than just themselves.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Wizards seem decent to me in the group game.
    Some of them are pretty amazing if they push their buttons.

They can probably use a boost, but the good ones are not useless.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

Others will use other terms, but I would consider it 'Amplified' DPS.

At least a few (avoiding saying many) classes can cast buffs that will ramp up a wizards dps.

I know bards, chanters, and druids can.

They can cast short term buffs that make a wizard do better dps.
    Group synergy.

The change in dps is pretty crazy when everyone is amping everyone. But you need to coordinate that.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

kizant likes this.
  11. Coagagin Guild house cat

Dragging other classes in comparison to the Wizard class only ruins his/her argument that class balance is fine and that no problem exists. That is until the unvarnished truth laid out for all to see.

Yeah, got it.

I do go back far enough to remember when Mages were the weakest class going, followed by Rangers, Necros and so many other classes. Hopefully DGB will get its collect act together sooner than latter and help with this obviously unbalanced class problem of their own creation.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It's attributed. As in, "X amount of this player's DPS should be attributed to the support class, it's ADPS"
    Yinla and Szilent like this.
  13. Malpheroth Elder

If I stop correctly positioning, following emotes, or properly using my abilities does that mean the bard in my group is not an adps or support class? I think adps could mean different things depending on context.
  14. Zarkdon Augur

Wizards fill a role that doesnt need filling. They can do amazing DPS when the fight lasts less than 10 seconds. However, if a fight lasts less than 10 seconds you really dont need amazing DPS, because you are going to be out killing a spawn rate.

There has to be some easy fix for wizards to give them a sustainable base DPS. Obviously the devs cant fix it with nukes, but maybe a "ranged attack" that provides sustained DPS between nukes?

Maybe nuke damage scaling based on the number of de buffs? Seems unfortunate that wizards do less DPS than a bard.
  15. Darkerknight Lorekeeper

OR
    They could fix cast and recast timers to make Wizard nukes cycle faster. If a warrior is button mashing abilities, Wizards can button mash nukes. This game is now played, in group content, 30 seconds at a time. Fixing cast/recast timers will solve group and sustained DPS issues.
    I would actually argue that Wizards DPS is worse in short bursts b/c cast/recast times are so long.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think shortening cast-times and recast times(or gcd), will be bad for the server lag. It is already a problem with all the procs. I think increasing the base damage is a better option tbh.

Being a wizard is "spammy" enough already.
    Waitwhat, Sancus and menown like this.
  17. Waitwhat Elder

I just had a totally unrealistic and crazy idea, but I am gonna post it here for your amusement.
    I have been playing some tank alts, and they have an ability something like "Placing you x points of hate above their previous highest hated target" (Ageless Enmity)

So, here is a crazy wizard spell in the same style:
    " Fireball of Ethereal Vengeance deals x amount of damage to your target, where x is the amount of damage that it takes to place the wizard 1 point of hate below the most hated target of your target."

Deal with that! :D :D
    Jumbur likes this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If the damage is worth it, then ill gladly eavesdrop in the tank-channel for up-coming tankswitches, in order to time it correctly...

Make me want to activate dimensional shield on a raid, I double-dare you... :p

I would probably macro it together with concussion though, just to be safe...
    Waitwhat likes this.
  19. Tucoh Augur

As a warrior tank with easy access to SPA 455 from our class weapon (increase current hate by X%) I support this change.
    Waitwhat likes this.
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I miss the days of noticing when a wizzy dropped a nuke on a mob. It felt really cool.
    Naugrin, Yinla, hiolpe and 4 others like this.