Wish list for 64 bit upgrade, consolidated Gen Chat

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Troutfest, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Troutfest Augur

One of the things I think the game could use would be one general chat channel only, not the limited version that splits into multiples if over 400 or so. I know presently the game can do more because at times I've seen higher numbers in regular general chat when the split wasn't occurring. I box and even now on Thornblade I will see conversations on one machine that I don't see on another. I know at times Gen chat is garbage and some folks never join but I like to watch what's for sale, who is LFG or just some amusing comments. The game feels more alive with a busier channel, especially on new launches of expansions.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would guess the limit on players in a chat channel is more of a design decision to keep numbers down instead of a hard limit. Once it reaches a certain point it could become impossible for most people to keep up with the chat if everyone starts talking.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

General chat is moving so fast nobody will notice I'm kicking another log on the fire.
    Dailor, Machen and Skuz like this.
  4. Zanarnar Augur

EQ's chat system seems based on some implementation of IRC. So I'm also thinking the current limit is more of a design decision then a technical limitation. (you use to be able to connect to the chat servers with any ol IRC client too. They disabled that ability but I'm guessing it wasn't because they re-wrote the chat back-end.)
  5. Fell Augur

Undoubtably true.

It might, though, be interesting to have an all-inclusive general chat channel, all players on the server, but in which there was a hard-limit of one sent message per hour. One per IP address, to handle the botters as well.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A hard limit of one message per hour would make the channel useless.
    Nolrog, Yinla and Shindius like this.
  7. Catalina Journeyman

cracks a miller!
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Add in a pet tab so I can see what gear my pet is using to that wish list. I can't believe this even isn't available on live as I was excited to see what expansion this happens but it never does.
  9. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

I, too, wish for a busier general tab. I find myself enjoying the general conversation, especially with the long downtimes the game has while leveling. I can't see how combining them all in one would have the chat channel so overwhelmingly busy, considering the one channel we get put in is typically pretty quiet anyways.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Its not a hard limit. Its been removed for some reason or another at times. I've been in general chats with 600+ people before.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Figured as much.
  12. Triconix Augur

People use general chats?
    code-zero likes this.
  13. Metanis Bad Company

Comic relief!
  14. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

People join general chats?
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Dre. Altoholic

Some type of votekick system for removing the drunk guy at 1am who wants to share his red vs blue opinion with the entire world.
  16. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

I do. I like to engage with people in chat while playing. Afterall, there's a lot of downtime for health and mana regen. EQ is a nice place to chat, when others are up for partaking.
  17. Troutfest Augur

Playing today, just thought of another thing I would like to see fixed. Mob respawn should stay the same no matter how many in zone, not slow down the more in it. If anything the other way should happen. Would hope servers going to 64 can help with this.