End of expansion battle royal

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by quakedragon, Nov 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Actually anyone suspended for 3rd party programs should automatically be moved to the Zek server with their home city set as the Arena
    Evye and Rasper Helpdesk like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Guides do battle royal things on servers ever so often that is good enough.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Exactly right. Even Jchan has stated there was not enough interest in it to make its own server.

And that was after that "big" rally that had all of 4 players show up to support their wish to have pvp added again.
    Skuz and Shindius like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

PVP in EQ right now is an absolute neglected mess for a reason, very few people even bothered with it for years and all of the PvP servers declined fairly quickly.

DAoC was a massively superior Player versus Player game than EQ.
    Warhammer Age of Reckoning was a superior Player versus Player Game to EQ
    (and that was worse than DAoC due to only having 2 factions rather then DAoC's 3 (when W.A.R. could easily have had 9 factions or more from the vast array in the IP).

My own suggestion (which I have spoken of before) was to re-purpose the shroud system for PvP

Why do that?

Because all of the Shrouds are basically templates, I think it would be far easier to adapt that shroud system to provide a balanced playing-field for PvP than it would be to attempt to balance PvP using player characters, group & raid gear & player character spells that were built for PvE across the vast array of player power parameters.

However, even a very rudimentary pass of the shroud system to repurpose it for PvP would not be worth it because the number of players interested in PvP is simply not worth catering to at even a very basic level. It's a case of that demographic being too small to make any investment in their playstyle remotely worth it.

I enjoy PvP myself, I enjoyed DAoC, W.A.R. and the PvP content found in S.W.T.o.R. (especially "hutt-ball") and I think it would be cool if EQ had some PvP content that was accessible on even PvE servers - and no I do not mean duels, I mean things like the "scenarios" of W.A.R. and "Hutt-Ball" type PvP sports content. Instanced PvP matches between 3 teams of 6 or 18 players.

EQ simply has bigger problems to solve for now.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

I honestly don't think I could come up with a bigger waste of dev time if I spent a few hours trying. Sure lets re-write a huge bit of the code so we can do an event that hardly anyone has any interest in, and will undoubtedly cause a huge spike in CS tickets/issues.

Stop trying to turn EQ into something else. If you want a Battle Royal game, go play one. There are plenty out there to pick from.
    Shindius and Mossaa like this.
  6. quakedragon Augur

Wow so much talk about PvP MMOs, but you missing out one MMO.

Its known for Alliance vs Horde
    Let me ask you something:
    1. What is Alliance vs Horde?
    2. Which MMO is that
    3. Is that MMO #1
    4. Why is it #1 population wise
    5. #1 population wise mean a lot of interest in it right
    @jchan
    not enough interest this is funny
    New MMO's, they focus on PvP first then if there should be raids, GW2 raids was put in longer after, ESO raids put in long after.

Maybe 10000 people playing EQ have little interest
    But 10000000 people playing other MMOs have interest in it
    They probably wanna watch 1000 person battle royal over, just some dinky guild killing some raid bosses or DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS
    Other games be like GW2, 100 of us show to mega bosses all the time, nothing special here.

One other question, is thread about PvP balance, anything about PvP balance? Negative

Rogue is probably good 1v1
    This is a battle royal, different situation, are they still good now? Can they handle massive damage being splashed on them from several players not even aiming at them?

Again this isn't about PvP balance,
    Its about a fun event, just for fun.

Nothing serious.
    No dev time required to spend countless hours thinking about balance.
    This is a end of expansion battle royal.
    NOT "lets talk about pvp balance and if we should get developers involved in balance"

If Wizards are OP at end expansion and Rogues a joke, so be it, we still having this battle royal, its for fun, its not for balancing anything, this is a fun event. To celebrate getting through an expansion and new expansion coming out.

Events like these, gets put on YouTube, people watch it, people think "mmm I wanna try this game"
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

WoW didn't entertain me enough to maintain my interest is why,
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

quakedragon,

Here's what you do if you really want this. Announce over General chat that you're hosting a big PvP event in the arena. Set a date and go do it. Give some Kronos or a large sum of plat to the winner.

Most of us don't care for PvP, so you're going to have to set the initiative if you want it done.
    Shindius likes this.
  9. Qelil Augur

I not only read his post but I also read the rest of the thread preceding my comment in which the OP gets into PvP in other MMOs.

PvP is not appealing to the vast majority of EverQuest players as reflected in server populations and the decline of what pvp there was in this game because reasons already given above.

So I stand by my comment. The people running this game have better things to do than create events nobody would attend at a time when they are busy doing a beta and have not been able to announce a release date yet probably because they don't know until all issues found on test are triaged and dealt with. That is not a criticism by the way. It's good they are testing it until it is done and ready for release.

Big thanks to the beta testers while I am at it, particularly the raiding guilds. We all benefit from the time and effort these folks put into this on test server.
    Shindius, Yinla, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  10. Randomized Augur

WoWs PvP has been on a major decline lately. Even the strictly PvP players dislike how the system is.

And all those Rogues who know they wouldn’t last 2 seconds are going to skip out on it because there isn’t a chance for them.
    Clerics who cannot dish out enough damage to even hurt a fly in pvp are going to skip out.

The only people who’d be interested are those who know they’d have a high success at winning.

You wouldn’t get the turn out you’re expecting is the issue. And as such, it wouldn’t gain much traction on YouTube or other steaming platforms.

As someone mentioned, you’re better off taking the reigns and spearheading this event yourself. And more power to you for doing it. Nothing against the idea, just against t e idea of taking the devs time to set it up. And if “it wouldn’t take dev time at all”, then it shouldn’t take you any time at all either.
    Eaedyilye likes this.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

Once they properly balance PVP this might be interesting.
    Maybe it's why they're upgrading to 64 bits, so we can plan for this sometime beyond the 32 bit range.
  12. Fell Augur

Since EQ was gathering players from differing servers for single-event PvP back in year 2000, your statement that he's "trying to turn EQ into something it's not" is rather farcical. Why such anger and aggression over his rather modest request?

The driving impetus behind their 64-bit conversion is a desire to save money on server hardware. Eventually we may see some crumbs fall out from the changeover, but don't hold your breath.
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Spinning the OPs idea into something more practical, maybe turn Raid,Raid, Raid into a stream event with any guild that wants to participate. Throw out some prizes like titles for the top teams and donations go to Extra Life.
    Skuz and Qelil like this.
  14. Qelil Augur

A pvp event held in 2000 is relevant now in light of everything else said about pvp in this thread as it pertains to today? That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? Anyway, if it is in fact a modest request then I suggest the OP take that modest undertaking on personally and I hope it goes well for them. I don't see how it could but hey if they want to spit into the wind, fine. That does not affect me personally.

As for what has really driven 64 bit development I can tell you it is memory constraints imposed by 32 bits. That more than anything would have driven this. There are other gains to be had over time but in the short term more available memory is the big win here. I would agree that people should not be looking for any perceptible difference early on once it does release other than some general stability improvements. That said, this opens a lot of future doors and that's good news as I see it.

By the way, what made you think saving money on server hardware had anything to do with this? I am curious where you got that from.
    Shindius likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A pvp event last held 21 years ago that was setup to run as a tournament for each class with induvial duals is not the same as a battle royal for everyone that is being proposed here.
    Shindius and Eaedyilye like this.
  16. Fell Augur

Not one event. A large number of them, spanning a few years, actually. And it's certainly relelvant in the context of disputing the claim that a similar event today would be trying to "change EQ into something it's not".

If he personally had the power to temporarily gather toons from differing servers, I'm sure he'd love to. But since he lacks that ability, I guess he's stuck with asking for it here.

It's the natural corollary to your first statement. Most server applications converted to 64-bit fifteen or more years ago, because of the benefits gained from dispensing with the 4GB memory space. I can't even imagine how badly crippled DBG's servers are at present, or what insane virtualization workarounds they currently have in place, but I guarantee that 64-bit will save them a bundle through server consolidation and additional performance. The fact that DBG has already baldly stated that the conversion does no more than "put us on a path" to eventual feature enhancements merely confirms this.
  17. Fell Augur

The events are similar, albeit not identical. Don't be coy. And the event was not "last held 21 years ago". They began in 2000, but continued until at least 2003 or 2004.
  18. Randomized Augur

That's not entirely correct though, now is it? In your eyes, EQ today is not what EQ was in 2000. We could bring in the lockpicking thread to go hand in hand with this. It was relevant 20 years. It is not today. The game has long since moved away from "what once was".

Now had the events been spread out into the game beyond it's "honeymoon" phases, I'd agree with you. I don't remember much of GM events (probably because I never partook), but I'd assume there was a good reason these "relevant PVP events" died off for a reason and did not continue?

He's able to join different servers general chat, or at the very least, create a character on every server and promote his event. Is that a lot of work? Yes. But you reap what you sow. How bad does he want to make this event idea of his happen?

He's gotten a couple suggestions on how to make it work, with whatever rules and circumstances he wants to apply. He has the power to do it, it's just whether or not he wants to do it.
  19. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

The server I was on a the time had a Battle Royal in 2003. I was pretty new the time but I remember it well. There were numerous announcement's for it in General.
  20. Fell Augur

Are you being intentionally obtuse? A basic requirement for his event is that characters from different servers compete against each other, in one arena.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.