Progression Server w/Negative Perks?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Qinlain, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Fell Augur

So many things wrong with this post. First of all, those later raids aren't nearly as difficult as you seem to believe they are. And even on the rare chance you do fail, so what? Can't lose gear, can't lose levels, can't even lose significant amounts of time. There's a phrase that used to be common on these boards: you didn't hear it much any more. Risk vs. Reward. When the risk side of the equation is zero, the rewards are meaningless as well.

But your post has a far larger error in that you entirely ignore that portion of the game outside of raiding. The mere fact that I say "make the game harder", but you hear "make raids harder" demonstrates just how truly enormous the problem is. There is no challenging group content. A competent group that wants a challenge tries raid content. Perhaps out-of-era raid content ... but not so-called group content.

And let's not forget the dumbing-down of mechanics that affect all content, be it raid, group, or solo. There's a few hundred entries on that list alone, such as navigation. You used to have to learn a zone to move easily around in it; no satellite-gps navigation dot to hold your hand. ("But mommy, I don't like getting lost! Getting lost isn't fun!") But all you think to mention is raid bosses. And how, despite the majority of the player base waxing them without trouble, that they constitute incredibly difficult encounters.
  2. Fell Augur

In theory, perhaps. In practice, dps-racing as presently implemented simply rewards zerg-style tactics.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Competition for it? Sure the couple of raid forces that might have a chance at competing for it might enjoy it but everyone else has no incentive to play. All removing the AoC's will do it prevent some people from having any chance of experiencing the content. There is a reason why they stopped doing open world raid content and that is because racing to a spawn isn't fun at all.
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

The raids are HARDER not impossible, failing is a possibility, sure you don't lose anything except time (and rezzing, rebuffing, going over what went wrong, afk checks before starting again etc can be a decent chunk of time especially if you have to do it multiple times a night).
    Again, play longer, the group game also gets harder with group missions mirroring raids. Also, this is the TLP forums, as much as you'd like to believe a huge chunk of people just want to play the group game forever the fact is the group game is just the inbetween to get to the next set of raids. Hence why AoC servers are so popular, everyone gets to do the raids when they want.

No one is forcing you to download Good's or Brewalls, go run around lost and learn the zone to your heart's content. Same with numerous other things that are likely on your list (xtar? /lfg? PoK books? I dunno, but most of the QoL Improvements can be turned off)
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Fell Augur

This attitude sets the bar higher for inanity. Goods and Brewalls aside, there's still the glowing-rope find and the satellite-gps auto-navigation dot. And yes, many of your so-called "QoL enhancements" (chuckle) can be turned off, and others simply not used. That's about a sensical suggestion as saying "if the content isn't challenging enough, just play badly". I could not use my best skills and spells, and refuse to put on all that fancy high-end gear that drops like candy. What would that prove, exactly?

The entire purpose of competitive gameplay is to maximize your performance within the current ruleset. You do realize that, don't you? Maybe not.

Thank you for making my point for me.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

You're a very unpleasant person to talk to. You do realize that, don't you? Maybe not.

I hope you get the ruleset you crave and I hope you get to prove everyone else wrong about how poor it will perform.
    oldkracow, Skuz and Skrab like this.
  7. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

It wasn't a Phinny clone. Mangler is the trash TLP that disabled focus effects at Classic and they haven't fixed it since. A change, that no one wanted or asked for. Casting more buffs, more frequently was not a good idea.
  8. Hdizzle Augur

I get that. We all have lives and can't batphone around Norrath and beyond all day and night. Again the premise was a server that is more difficult. A server without AOC's would not increase the challenge of the content; the challenge would become assembling, tracking, and winning dps races (which is even more challenging than the content most times!) but thats a game not everyone can play even if they wanted to.

My point is every raid force being decked out in full raid gear and farming the same 30 raids for the last five years over and over; theres only so much the devs can do to the actual content to make it more of a challenge.

What they could change however is the flow of gear to the server; maybe aoc's appear for the more recent expansion (ex. When Kunark opens on a TLP than AOC's associated with Classic become available on the server). That would affect the user experience during encounters for sure.

Again, hardmode negative perks, not for everyone type of server ruleset; not something I would consider wildly popular.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is the fault of the player base that keeps cycling through the servers are they are created. Once you hit later expansions you will find out that developers grew tired of the open world concept and all raids are instanced. Also with the fact that AoC's are now on live servers they will never not be available on a TLP server.
  10. Hdizzle Augur

I know; routinely mock the TLP community who just runs the same brain dead handful of expansions over and over and over and complain about it Lol. But hey they help keep the lights on so yeah.

There could totally be a TLP with no AOC's present. It would be a negative perk compared to a server with all the classic raids instanced.
  11. Xhartor Augur

It would interesting to see what happen if they tried a later starting points. So far the only attempts at that were a server on an insane timeline and one set too far out.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am unsure why people expect something with more difficulty when they have done the exact same content dozens of times. There is nothing unknown or unexpected about the content or how players are overpowered for it these days. The only TLP with any surprises has been the new random ones and that is just with what loot is going to drop.
  13. Triconix Augur

If you want a server like this, the solution is way more simple. Just reverse Mischief/Thornblade. Everything is no trade, including plat and krono. The only thing plat can be used for is merchants.

I'm not going to endorse this though. Regardless, either server suggestion sounds dumb. It doesn't take very long to not care at all about plat/krono outside of some merchant and TS vendor crap. My plat has just been sitting on my char for a few expansions now and it's only OOW. On live I just had the same amount of plat unused for years. I don't even bother opening a trader up on either TLP or Live anymore. Plat/Krono have zero positive effects in my gameplay.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I wonder how a level-locked-Progression with the Mischief/Thornblade Loot ruleset would do?

All classes/races and class/race combos in from the start, access to every zone is quite attractive and with the only progression being what can you do at level x it offers up some intruiging possibilities.
  15. Machen New Member

That wasn't a Mangler only thing. Every TLP since then has had the same. Doesn't make Mangler anything other than a Phinny clone.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  16. Appren Gnomercy

It is pretty much the only viable new and somewhat original idea seen lately, suggested several times. The only real bad thing with this idea (in my mind) is that so much loot will be obsolete on day one, but I am sure that could be changed if needed, removing Defiant gear and such.
  17. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Right, but it WAS supposed to be a mangler only thing. They haven't figured out how to fix it yet. Remember, Mangler was a "hardcore" server with all sorts of dumpster fire rules no one wanted. Somehow they left in the worst one. I'm guessing you don't know what the word clone means. Phinny had focus effects. Ergo, not a phinny clone.
  18. Machen New Member

No, it wasn't. It was a global change, intended for all TLP's going forward. There's nothing broken about it.
  19. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

No, it was part of the original mangler ruleset. I'm glad you think you know but you don't. Sorry buttercup.
  20. Machen New Member

Link please to devs saying they can't figure out how to "fix" it on the other tlp's.