What is the point of hoarding hundreds or thousands of kronos?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Cicelee Augur

I am not a user of krono, save for that one time to get a fish illusion. So pardon my naivete on this subject.

On live, there are some players with hundreds of kronos. On TLP, there are some players with thousands of kronos. And I guess I am just blind but...

What is the point of holding onto all that krono? And moreso, I think my bigger question is- how many players with hundreds or thousands of kronos are using them to pay for monthly subscription services for their toons?

I can maybe understand on a TLP having that many allows you to buy an item in game that is very rare. However with the nature of TLP servers, the usefulness of such an item only lasts for several months to a year if that. So i guess that is nice to have for half a year?

I can also understand those who are selling them for non game things. I guess? Again I have never partaken in that activity. But if that is true, why hold onto hundreds/thousands of them? Wouldn't you get them and then get rid of them for non game things?

I guess my point is, I don't understand the usefulness of having that many. And I am bored at the office and saw a thread about kronos on the TLP forums and it struck the question in my head.
  2. Randomized Augur

That thread in the TLP is very lacking in evidence and should be taken with a grain of salt imho

I acquired Krono when they first came out and acquired enough in game to pay for 3 accounts for about 15 months a piece…and then quit like 3 months later and wasted a years worth of sub time on 3 separate accounts. Learned my lesson, and now I don’t use them. I did buy 1 or 2 for plat so when I traded servers and started over I’d have a little cushion plat.

Only thing I could think of hoarding hundreds at a time for would be chase/rare items when a new xpac drops. Earring comes to mind. Aside from that…sell to third party sites for RMT? /shrug
  3. Riou EQResource

The benefit to hoarding Krono instead of keeping it in Platinum is that Krono will pretty much never be worth less Platinum tomorrow then today, so holding it in Krono (which you can sell at any time) just makes your bank richer over time

The other good thing is you can use it on any server you want so it is essentially serverwide Platinum
  4. ptah Augur

Both answers kind hit it.
    Krono is not being used too often for sub time, its a coin. Value generally holds or goes up and ITS SERVERwide.

Now some people just like keep score, brag a little bit? idk But if consume rare items, minor collection rare drops, I assume there a few min max super traders that buy low and transfer to sell for profit. The krono opens that market up. All servers, flexible options.

The RMT market, idk, anyone min max that market has ways make better money faster, maybe a situation pawns that, again idk.

I would add its a currency for some, you buy anything in eq with kronos, expansions, PP, rare items, PL BUY SELL TRADE ! monster truck rallly at 7.

Honestly, users of those programs that bot actions, well they have all time in world, so ROI means little to them, krono into RMT? idk

Its the bitcoin of eq, more is better!!! flex your might.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

[IMG]
    Naxo, Duder and Vizier like this.
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Multiply Krono by 10, that’s your answer.
  7. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I buy a krono or 2 from EQ every once in a while, to sell to fund my tradeskill habit....

*sniffffff*
    Aeonblade, code-zero, Wdor and 3 others like this.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

I disagree it's not being used for sub time. I pay for my accounts with Kronos (Normally. I've had to pay real money a time or two). I buy them. I don't sell them (generally, I'm happy to accept a crazy good offer, or unload them cheaply to a friend in need).

I heartily agree with the keeping score thing though. Some people do that, and if their enjoyment of the game is bazaarquest, more power to em.
    Fenthen and Elyssanda like this.
  9. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

If you're on FV, there's a couple reasons to buy and horde Kronos. First, you can buy raid gear. New raid gear and the ores are not cheap. To fully equip a toon it will cost about 100-300M.

If you're a raider. You can sell raid gear and horde Kronos. You'll never have to pay for your subscription ever again, for numerous toons if you want to.
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

100m HAHA what you smoking? new raid gear is like 3 krono's per ore x by the slots so more around 300m and it used to be more than 3 krono's but slowly been going down. And raid stuff is only getting cheaper now because new expansion is coming out and getting ready for new gear so there unloading.

Andarriel
  11. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

I can't fathom why you'd sit there and use every single krono you had, all at once. It's kind of the opposite of the whole point of them existing. And then to say you don't use them anymore because you chose to waste them all in one sitting.... I'm not sure why you posted at all.

It is SERVERwide but you meant "GAMEwide".

So your argument is that it's both cheaper and also more expensive. Got it.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Alnitak Augur

Ok, now I need some enlightment. Why would any non-raiding character need to be "fully equipped" in raid gear? All group content can be done with group gear. Yes, raid gear is very beneficial to all, but "fully equipped"? Perhaps a couple items, weapons, EM earring, high AC shield, or such. Especially on FV where raid-focus clickies can be just rented once. Still I see no reason to hoard hundreds of Kronos.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

14. Razorfall Augur

They really need to put caps on krono or set up some kind of expiration system for them. Let those things expire after 90 days (I'd rather see them expire after 30, but I'm pretty sure that would never happen).
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Krono were sold with no expiration date on them. Adding one now would likely constitute fraud under the law. But, please explain your rationale for wanting them to expire.

For the record, I don't currently have any Krono and I have no immediate plans to purchase any. I also don't feel threatened by their existence nor do I resent those who hold them. Is this an issue centered on TLP servers? I play on Bristlebane and I don't remember any great arguments about them on them on the one, true, server.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Zarkdon Augur

Owning Krono is like owning gold. You are tying your assets to something real instead of make believe money.
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This would just make them useless to most people as they really don't care about using them. This is of course ignoring the fact that if you had 10 krono on your account trying to track when each of them expire would be complicated. In fact I can already see customer service complaints from people who received krono that expired shortly after they got them.
  18. Randomized Augur

Krono adds game time.
    Adding game time via Krono saves money
    Using it all at once ensured multiple months of saving money.

Quitting was involuntary. It’s like I knew it was going happen. Just did. I don’t need to save money. If I did I wouldn’t pay for 3 accounts at a time. I just don’t use them any more to save myself from wasting the coin/time in the event I quit over night again.

Comprehension is hard?
  19. FranktheBank Augur

This is probably one of the worst ideas I have ever seen posted and I've watched TLP forums for years. This makes krono basically useless. For future ideas, try applying this thinking before you post; What problem am I trying to fix? Are there better ways to address the same problem?

The question was more like, why did you consume all 15 upfront? I consume them on my boxes 1 or 2 at a time. Whenever I remember, I just pop a krono.

As for the OP's question. People hoard krono for many reasons. One could be RMT (but you arent really hoarding). One could be just trying to stack up krono to buy something, or be able to buy anything, across servers. Honestly, I think one of the biggest reasons is people like seeing the number go up. I know of a few people that have over 1000 krono who do not RMT, they just like seeing the number go up. They set a goal to make 100 krono, then the next goal is 200, etc etc.

Honestly, it's great knowing I could fund my accounts for years and buy basically any item I could ever want.
    code-zero likes this.
  20. Iven Antonius Bayle

Both are value storages and can counter money inflation. The difference between gold and Krono is that Krono is digital fiat money as it is based on fiat money and gold is neither. But both have also an inflation on their own because there is no quantity limit and more pieces do get produced constantly. Its much smaller tho.

There is some misunderstanding about the function of Krono. As a value storage it can basically never make the holder more rich. Instead if does prevent a loss in value to some degree. But there can be expectations that are based on market dynamics.