Quitting

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kolaisa, Nov 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Quoted for truth.

Some are ascribing things to the OP ("missed GM message") that he didn't even say. lol.
    Wdor, Keella and Nennius like this.
  2. Fell Augur

And I'm pretty sure you can't. Being AFK while grouped by itself does not violate the TOS.

That's your point now, and it indeed can be true. Your original point, however, was claiming a "gotcha" moment because he said he had four accounts logged and was actively playing 3 of them, as if that in itself was some sort of confession of wrongdoing.
  3. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Dude could've been suspended for spamming General Chat. LOL.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

He could have been suspended for many possible reasons. And I, for one, do not automatically believe people when they claim innocence.
    Wdor and CatsPaws like this.
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I do, there’s too much capacity for player abuse with the current system.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They don't specify anything about being in a group in the afk policy just that you are afk. Even something as simple as having a pet take actions with the rest of the group while you are afk makes you in violation of the rules.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...y-on-AFK-or-Unattended-Gameplay-in-EverQuest-
    That's your point now, and it indeed can be true. Your original point, however, was claiming a "gotcha" moment because he said he had four accounts logged and was actively playing 3 of them, as if that in itself was some sort of confession of wrongdoing.[/quote]

I have said this before and will say it again it was never a "gotcha" moment. It was a simple question as to why someone would make a claim of being logged in with 4 characters while claiming to be playing all 3 that are logged in. Is it that wrong to want clarification when someone is claiming to be unfairly suspended? What is wrong with making sure the facts in the claim actually match?
  7. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Mischief's release of Kunark. Whatever the rule was in 200whatever, is not relevant. The rule is posted recently, was cited recently, and in my case because I was looking at my second monitor instead of everquest, the rule was broken because I could not tell that I had been summoned and moved a very small distance as a result.

Because they contain in the rule that if you are leaving your computer for more than a few seconds you must camp out or "go to an empty corner of the zone" it does not matter what you are, or are not doing. You could be in a group. You could be in a raid. You could be by yourself. The policy is that you must log of the game or "go to an empty corner of the zone" if you are going to be afk for more than a few seconds. Even if you have already killed all of the mobs around you, do not have a pet up, and are feigned death...meaning your character can literally perform no action.

It's my opinion the policy as written is stupid, and enforcement of it is is terrible.
  8. Fell Augur

You're conflating things here. Your original statement was that you could be banned for being AFK in a group. That's false. The policy clearly is that, if you're actively using your pet while you're AFK, that violates TOS. This is true whether or not you're in a group, and has nothing whatsoever to do with being grouped.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

TLP is a different animal.

High population, tons of emotion (DPS race, training), and active GMs.

I am certain that it is not reflective on any enforcement quality or procedures on Live. I do think that some of the assumptions being thrown around (by folks who play both Live and TLP) may only be applicable to TLP.
  10. Fell Augur

This is not correct. The actual policy states that disciplinary action is taken only if the character is found to be performing actions - including pet actions -- while AFK. The whole point of the "move to an empty corner of the zone" is a request to minimize the chances that you might inadvertently take action while AFK. By your logic, people who did just what they ask could still be banned.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I wrote about this earlier. They do not want a false positive. Everyone knows what is acceptable behavior: I know it when I see it.

They have to dumb it down for fools who try to circumvent the rules and prey on the technicalities of the written rule to complain.

Some adults act like kids looking for a cheat code. (I'm referring to the suspension/ban drama).
    Wdor and Fell like this.
  12. Fell Augur

Exactly so. No one gets banned for being AFK. They don't even get banned if their pet happens to hit a mob while they're AFK. They get banned for intentionally farming or exping while AFK.
    Kalvenie and Benito like this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And this started due to someone claiming that it was taking action on 3 characters and 1 was afk. The point being it doesn't matter how many are being played versus how many are not as being afk is against the rules regardless.

And that would include being afk in a group while they farm. You are right that being afk in a non combat zone like PoK or the Guild Lobby isn't likely going to be an issue but that is not the case for a combat zone.
  14. Fell Augur

Oops, no it isn't. Again, maybe English is your second language? The policy is very clear. You can AFK in a group while THEY farm. If YOU take actions while afk, you can be banned.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again the rules state that you need to leave the area or log out it doesn't just say what actions you can and can't do. They don't care if 5 people are playing the 1 person who is afk is still in violation of the rules. It is just in most cases the party won't care and won't report them but it is possible to get reported and suspended for it.
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

That is ridiculous. If you have 4 accounts, play 3 while your 4th just sits there sucking exp...there is nothing wrong with you doing that. You know how many in the game pl their heriod'd toon??
    And don't think to have excuses for that mc_muffin guy, the guy can put his own foot in his mouth with his experienced stupid comments.
  17. Fell Augur

Again, no they don't. Do you not read things before you post? They request (using the word "please", no less) that you either log or move to an unoccupied area for an extended AFK. After that clause in the rules, they state that you can disciplined IF you take action while AFK.

That's an entirely different situation than your claim that you can be FD, without a pet, in an entirely empty section of the zone, and still be banned for it. Read the policy. If there's a word you don't understand, ask someone for help. But please stop spreading disinformation.
    Kalvenie likes this.
  18. Knight-errant Journeyman

Wow, people will argue about anything won't they?
    Tucoh likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

My claim is that the rules state you should log out if AFK and give a few examples. But if you want to be picky if you are afk in a group that is killing you are still gaining xp and depending on the loot setup you are gaining cash splits and rolling on items. All of which sound like they are against the spirt of not taking action while afk.
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Holy sh*t, we're nearly 23 years into EQ, and people are making statements like this. None of this matters, it's all up to the CS person making 40k/year expected to knock out a ticket volume of 5 people, while not knowing what an Everquest even is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.