Enchanter molo question.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by ceto, Jul 29, 2021.

1. ceto Elder

Hi folks,

I was wondering how well an enchanter can molo to higher levels and which Merc he should use all the way up? I know warrior to start, but does that change at a certain level?

Thanks
  2. Imminent Journeyman

Max your pet AA's, use pet gear on both pets with agro blades - Cleric Merc (remember to block the "promise" line of spells. Keep your pet buff on it, companions aegis and Fortify on it for named.
    For your cleric merc, put a set of tank gear on him, they have way plenty mana already.
    Been working like a charm since EoK.
  3. Camou the Persistent Augur

Enchanter 40K AA, 50% raid gear, 115.

Eastern Wastes moloing yard trash is my limit - content which is 2 years old and where nothing drops that anyone could need or use. EW is the last zone where stuns, blurrs and mesmerize work on many mobs.

Nameds id say Empires of Kunark (5 years old) yes, Rings of Scale (4 years old) yes, above no way. TBL (3 years old) nameds in Stratos (starting zone) kill your summoned pet in less than 10 secs.

In latest content CoV and upcoming ToL there isnt much left for chanters, but buffing. CoV almost all mobs are immune to mesmerize, immune to stun, immune to charm, immune to fear and amazingly great new: immune to blurr.

Root still works though sometimes, if you dont do damage on rooted mob.

Your summoned pet is now mucgh better - it has good AC and can tank and taunt slowed yard trash up to mobs level 113, above it is very spiky for healer merc. DPS wise the pet is bad joke - 4K quad.

Your charm pet is dead. Charm pets still cant taunt, have tons of HP and even less DPS than your summoned pet - 2-3K quad and are restricted to a 6 minute charm. It cannot hold agro against a single dot of yours and even with 6K AC you cannot stand longer than a few seconds against a mob - if charm pet breaks it of course hits you for 30Kquad, and not with the lousy DPS it has when it is charmed.

But you have a lot of great illusions you can use in front of PoK Bank to impress whomever. In raids or so there are many classes doing former Enchanter domains much better than we can do currently. Crowd control, which was THE enchanter domain is not necessary anymore in groupgame and bards and necros do it better with less resists.

With all the undead mobs in ToV and CoV id recommend to play a necro.

Necros can heal, mezz, root, blurr, stun and have the best DPS of all caster classes and far stronger than any other pet in game. Many Necros solo/molo CoV missions like Zlandicar. This is far out of reach for enchanters. 3-5 year old content is possibe to run a mission solo/molo, latest content missions solo/molo are restricted to necros only.

Basically the game is in its current status reduced to an SK and Necro only game. The other classes are nice to try out, but if you want fun, groups and indepdence - Necro. Else u just waste time, money and lose fun on game.

Enchanters had their time like 12 years ago. Nowadays the only class less usefull than enchanters are wizards.
  4. Dragnath Elder

Who hurt you?

For 1-60 let the warrior merc do all of the work while you figure out the ins and out of the class. 60-100 or so the charmed pet is the way to go, either without a merc (more xp gain) of if you had to use one I would go with a cleric. 100+ things will get a bit more difficult and you are probably going to want to start grouping or start a box tank to continue handling content.

In my opinion 100+ with any class molo is going to be a soul crushing experience, either find a few people you can regularly group with or start boxing your own group.
    Randomized likes this.
  5. Verily Tjark Augur

The biggest hinderance to me moloing current content is the dps nerf to charm pets. I moloed a lot of content through TBL with a charm pet and healer merc (dps caster merc if I felt tough enough). Then when charm pet dps got nerfed my play style went out the window. I don't always like people, and I prefer to do my own thing... not so much anymore.

You have to realize most enchanters in the game are boxed or part of a box crew.... the molo crowd is very tiny.
    Scaevola and RPoo like this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

It's a shame charm got nerfed. It should've been buffed instead. Charm gameplay in EQ can be really fun, especially when you start investing in your unreliable charmed pet or find special charm pets in a zone.

To the OP, i agree with dragnanth. Moloing is a poor way to play EQ as an enchanter.
    Scaevola likes this.
  7. Szilent Augur

Charm, charming gameplay, ran pretty hard into its power cap in Underfoot. Two enchanters "invested in" charmed monsters were able to literally clear an entire zone's basepop. If someone playing a non-enchanter was lucky, that person could get invited as one of four other group members with the sole duty of dragging enemies within /pet attack range. Two enchanters, four ham sandwiches, whole zone empty.

This is not good game play.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Agreed. Any good gameplay, when it is thoroughly overpowered, stops being good. Enchanters should be able to contribute to a group through high risk, high difficulty gameplay using a charmed pet.
    Scaevola likes this.
  9. Genusii Journeyman

This is the reason for my retirement. Nothing said it better than being reminded to cast somnolence by our raid tank leader then watching said warrior remove somnolence with a better debuff. Rogues and Zerkers were doing it. And the icing: they would all complain when it wasn't on it and didn't know they were removing it.

They also snare, have better mana regen than every class but shaman, punt and can FD. If you want to play any caster class, play a necro. The others cannot compete.

Every necro in current gear does this. It is fun. It is rewarding. And it isn't ruining anyone's gameplay. Also, reminding the enchanters how good they were 15 years ago is the entire point! The current state for the enchanter is the worst position of any caster in the game. Going back to Underfoot supports this argument so well.

For enchanters, I can summarize how to play it and not feel awful. Pay for the account until you max aa in current content. Then go silver. The class's adps is not touched and everything else the class does is irrelevant. IoG is maxed for the silver account. You get the least return for this investment of any class in the game. So don't invest anymore than needed.
  10. Dragnath Elder

It seems like the negative comments above are from raiding enchanters, and I don't raid so I can't comment on those points. As far as playing any class in this game if you want to have fun and enjoy the class anyone is viable as long as you enjoy the game play.

If you are looking only to endgame raiding then I am sure the points above are valid. If your goal is to be the absolute best class in the game then there will always be a few that are top tier to pick from.

For group game I love playing an enchanter, is my group composition the absolute best? No it seems that would be SK, SHM, BRD, BER, BER, BL but at the end of the day the point is to have fun so choose what you enjoy playing.

This is way off topic from OPs original but here we are haha.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Jordis Augur

Moloing anything in CoV and ToV currently is hard for just about any class which was probably intended to encourage grouping. Just like it has been in the past, you have to find the places and mobs that suit your style of play.

I started boxing a few years ago, which mostly consists of dragging a druid, mage or wizard around for some DPS and their healer merc while I use my tank merc, or occasionally the melee with a charm pet or the animation. With my alt rogue I molo in some of zones using a cleric merc that has no subtle casting AA and it works fairly well as an enchanter although mine has the subtle casting and a boxed alt that I can use to heal with a melee merc up. The melee merc with full AA is useful if you can keep the aggro on your pet, before full AA it tends to gank aggro and die. My merc AAs are maxed out, if you're going to molo do Overseer consistently to get the AA to improve the mercs. The cleric merc actually can do a pretty decent job of tanking and healing itself. I do tend to treat the merc tank something like a charmed pet with runes, NIght's Endless or Perpetual Terror, Make sure you have Friendly Stasis on your hot bar, and Planar Overdose potions for a feigned death is also helpful.

If you want to charm effectively...do it as a druid box. While we would be overpowered if we had snare, they can debuff, snare, damage shield and get a friendly enchanter (or someone boxing a druid) to haste their pet. Right. Our charm has a built in haste, druid charm doesn't. The enchanter can charm a wider variety of mobs than other classes with charm other than perhaps bards, but forget that dual wield humanoid type and go for a rat or mob that a druid would charm.

My main focus is raiding, and I prefer to group and will generally box another character rather than solo. I'm fortunate to belong to a good guild with people that group up with one another but there are usually people looking for groups or willing to pick up an enchanter if you do an LFG in a specific zone. Don't be surprised if you get a group and start hearing, "I've never grouped with an enchanter before," or, "I didn't know enchanters could do that!" Raiding currently keeps an enchanter busy, which includes charming and mezing along with all the other ADPS, damage mitigation, debuffing and so on. I don't disagree that when it comes to DPS the class could use boost.

One of the places I go to level an alt or just farm some AA is is the Skyfire Mountains (RoS). There's an area outside Gorowyn where the mobs path close together. I mez them as they come in (making sure I *always* have the mez ward up, and the put the pet and merc on one and start in hot keyed DPS.
  12. Vizier Augur

Lol OP is asking for molo advice and half the thread is woe is me drama about raiding obsolescence. Yeah.

Clr merc is the way to go with Pet tanking as was mentioned above. Mage gear on Enc pet makes it able to tank yard trash just fine and the animations can even tank nameds in a pinch with a lot of lovin.
  13. Scaevola New Member

So just returning. In fact what got me back was that fact they intertwined charm & haste. So when the charmed pet broke you weren't brutally sodomized (unless you had a snarer/rooter & (or a ranger with @#$# memblur) also grouped with you.

So 1/3 dps charm nerf is still in place? I was hoping not. Kind of regretting going all access on day 2 now.....
  14. Scaevola New Member

The fix didn't make for good game play ...straight up nerf bat.

Well the nerf could have been Strategic....but it wasn't. And at the same time the neutered the nearly 40~ aas for mez mastery ....which gave us exactly 3 ticks more per spell for mezs. AND then made it single target only. Thereby again reducing our usefulness.... when rangers can now aa memblur and root (manaless) and nearly insta cast. We got neutered. And they still haven't rectified it.

Also ...I was at the last fanfest and I asked the devs. The mez mastery nerf and charm dps nerf were SUPPOSE to be temporary(their words). It was just the easily way balance quickly...and now years later NEITHER is fixed. sigh. really regret coming back.

And To YOUR point.....if either of those pet broke.... and neither could get a mez to land...it wiped the group.... so RVR....again unless you had a 2ndary snarer (that could lay it in prior to the charm).
  15. Szilent Augur

So verybad play could lead to a death. Granted. Anything other than verybad play leads to enemy annihilation only constrained by zone lines. You can say "RVR", but the "RVR" in that scenario was i n s a n e l y out of whack in the enchanter's favor. It was lower-case, air-quotes, wink-wink "risk" versus bold allcaps 18pt REWARD. Yes it was nerfed, of course it was nerfed. It Needed Nerfing.
  16. Vizier Augur

To the people complaining about the charm dps nerf, reverse charm tactic is and always has always been full dps. I get that there are limited locations where is can be deployed but each expac has something.

That said, Enc DPS is now tied to synergies with Mage and Wizard. Enc nuke cycles feed high damage synergy procs to wizards and mages and deal very solid dps on their own.
  17. Camou the Persistent Augur

In fact, this is not complaining. Enchanters are still good to play molo and solo as long as you dont enter content younger than 2 years.

Above you simply need to group. On AB server 90% are boxing. Enchanters are beasically buffmules, you cant do much mor benefit than hast and crack. No class is depending on your Tashan spells anymore and even if, there many clickies out doing the same, but dont cost a group slot a merc can fill better.

Charm is dead. Tried it out in EW worm caves. DPS wise you are limited to about 60% of the DPS you cause with a summoned pet. Past level 70 a quite interesting technique to play but ends at 100. Past 100 it is just useless and costs much more exp than you could possibly gain with it. You will die like every 5 minutes constantly. Look for a close binding spot.

Boxing is not my world. A boxed enchanter is not an enchanter, it is a buffmule. Take a shammy or beasty instead of a chanter and you have it much easier and simpler.

According to experiences in ToL beta this is turning even worse. Less mobs vulnerable to mesmerize, stun or charms or blurrs and even less sense of playing a chanter.

Make a beast or necro if you want to see more than bank in PoK and content from 2018.
  18. Vizier Augur

To each his own. I run Enc Mage Wiz and the Enc is the heart of the group. The enc is far more active than any other caster except for maybe Necro. Mage and Wiz sit there spamming nuke cycles. Enc do that, but also pull and cc.

For me at least Enc is the same as it always has been: amazingly powerful in the group game, if oft misunderstood. How it fairs on raids I couldnt care less personally so your mileage may vary. The nice the about EQ is theres plenty for everyone. Not every class needs to be all things for ALL TYPES OF PLAYERS. Think about that please.
    Vumad likes this.
  19. Dragnath Elder

Enchanters have so many tools in their arsenal, they are top tier pullers, crowd control, slow, massive caster ADPS, reasonable DPS, etc. I have to wonder if people complaining about their usefulness really understand how to play the class...
    Technopixie and Vumad like this.
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Yeah, long time main here and retired the enchanter. It’s ok but there are other options available that are better.