Is Overseer unbalanced?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Your math is bad that’s 2.34%. For only checking once a day. I’d check more if it was an app, but I’m not interested in timing morning and night overseer cycles.
    Randomized likes this.
  2. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Thanks I’ll give those a try!
    Yinla likes this.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

When you get to level 5, they give like 2-6% per success, depending on crit and level. Doing those and some 12 hour quests to max out the 5 quests, I get 7-12% a day if I bother logging in an alt.

Slightly faster to do 5x 12 hours twice a day, but that sounds like a job.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

That’s gonna take awhile, I’m barely into the first level. Which was my point that it’s not really a great experience option for returning people because they’re likely not 110+ or maxed Overseer.

Edit: Just checked it's offering 0.9% experience at 85.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Kolaisa Elder

Im not maxxed overseer either, probably 60% done.

.78% + .78% + .78% = 2.34% * 2 = 4.68% not including crits, so my math was right.
    I get crits on about 2, maybe all three quests. That's about 6% a day.
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Classic dude always adding +1 to everything.
  7. Kolaisa Elder

For those people that don't understand simple math. 2.34% is what I get from 3 12 hours quest on a free acount, multiply that by 2 because I do it twice per day and that comes out to 4.68%, then I add in .3% - .75% for any crits (which double the xp you get from it) that I get and that lands me right in the about 5-6% range, like I said. The only thing I added was the very minor values from crits, thats ALL I did. Hopefully this simple math helps.
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I don't think it's realistic to expect people to log-in multiple times a day for only Overseer.
  9. Kolaisa Elder

Why? Everyone I know does it. If you want to get the most out of overseer then you will, if not then you won't, but don't complain about something if you aren't willing to put in the work. I do mine first thing in the morning and again when I get home from work, not hard.
  10. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

It's great you make Overseer your lifestyle. More power to you. Also, you forgot that people are going to run Recruit tasks, so it's only going to be 2 free slots for missions.

Also, I wouldn't refer to Overseer "as putting in the work". It's honestly a ridiculous statement.

My posts are just to put into perspective what a fresh player would be seeing from their Overseer rewards. There's a lot of big numbers being throw around by long term players, but Overseer experience rewards as a catchup mechanism are very lacking. Small rewards such as 0.78% at level 85 isn't going to incentivize continued usage from a fresh player.
  11. Kolaisa Elder

I do agree people do recruit missions. I didn't say they don't, you have to get agents somehow. I'm also not saying this is the only way to catch up, but once started, if you just keep up with it when you log on/off, it's not very hard. As far as "making it my lifestyle" as you said, that lifestyle only takes about 10 minutes, 2 times a day, so sure 20 minutes is my life, smh. All a new player has to do is ask anywhere and people will tell them, starting out the xp is crap, it gets better and trying to get levels near cap is a long process if they can't to tov related stuff, so it will help them level, albeit slow, but it does.

Just for your info, that monk I linked the picture from earlier, only gained 85 about two weeks again and I don't really play it much. So getting anything helps it to level.
  12. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

It's great you're going to take 20 minutes a day to progress your Overseer. The reality is Overseer is an awful, boring iteration of mobile game style they're trying to integrate. The early crumbs aren't going to make people want to going at it for days and days.

It's just not good enough.
    Randomized likes this.
  13. Kolaisa Elder

It not being good enough is your opinion. Can it be better, yes, but it's not entirely useless as it is now.
  14. Randomized Augur

So it's not so much that it only takes 20 minutes a day to do it. It's the fact you have to schedule it into your day, daily, to get the most out of it.

"oh twice a day" - sure that's great if you can remember every 12 hours or set alarms and plan around it. I'm not at my computer that much to hit Overseer every 12 hours. Hell i'm lucky to log in once every 3 days some weeks. And i'll be damned if I go out of my way just to log in to the game just for Overseer.

That's what he's getting at when he says "making it a lifestyle". I schedule the gym into my days daily (if applicable), and I'll go out of my way to make sure I get my workouts in. But I'm not going to delay making dinner, or skipping out on taking my dogs for their walks, or rush home from an event just to make sure I'm getting my Overseer going "every 12 hours"

So in reality, it's nice for "passive" experience. But overall it's very lackluster. If you're the type that's able to be logging in and doing it every 12 hours, then you also probably don't have an issue gaining exp and leveling as is anywho. /shrug. Just my 2pp on the matter
    Skrab likes this.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Doesn't take too long actually. You get to level 3 in like 2 weeks if you log in once a day and do any research you have. The annoying part of overseer is getting enough agents to start, you have to do all recruit missions as you go, do your research, then pop any other 12 hour mission to max your in use quests. You get agents as a bonus on crit successes and you probably get crit successes on 30% of your level 1 quests.

Remember, the amount of exp you get in the ranks is proportional to the duration of the quest, and also doubled with crits. So one 24 hour quest gives you as much rank exp as four 6 hour quests. Get a crit and that is twelve 6 hour quests work.

For awhile I was doing overseer on other servers, just to bank all the rewards (collection and tradeskill stuff and coins), then after X months transfer it over (I just had a ton of characters I never moved from a couple of servers) to Xegony and give them to the mains. You'd quickly get to like rank 4 recruiting, rank 5 research, and everything else would take forever.

Since they changed things a couple months ago, its harder to start out new, because half the time you don't have an agent for a quest, AND once you hit level 4 of the research, half the time you can only do the easy missions until you get more higher level agents. And conversions is aggravating when you have 5-15 copies of just about every common agent.

Way I think about it, no reason not to do it. Its all a bonus.
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Like anything in this game, you get out of it what you put in.

I hadn't done overseer much the last 6 months. I'd do it every 3-4 weeks for a couple tasks to recoup lost exp from raiding deaths and that's it. I logged in twice this week on a level 95 alt, claimed 10 tasks total and went from 1% in to 24% into level. That was more like 2 minutes of time total spent. So it works, just have to do it for awhile to get your levels in it higher for the better rewards.

Also, its good for banking rewards. Get the elite research quest crits and claim them to go in your reward window and bank them. Its like 6% of level 115-116 off ONE mission.
  17. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Again, your timeline is off its longer than 2 weeks. Just checked, completed a 160 Overseer missions primarily Diplomacy and Trade, about 60% through Level 2. Recruitment is at level 3 though.
  18. Alnitak Augur

I dunno about you, but my days are much easier to schedule: 7:30 AM alarm - taking some pills - fasting for 30 mins (pills work that way) - and here is my window to do overseer on 3 accounts, 15 12-hr quests total.
    Breakfast-travel-work-travel-dinner. And here is about 7:30PM window for under 30 mins of Overseer before I get to play my toons in the evening.
    5 days of the routine and Overseer freelancing on weekends.
    Common 12-hr quests reward with 1% exp ea, or more if critical or quest level is Uncommon or higher.
    I never do experience quests though, while waiting for ToL I collect collection dispensers. Usually 12-15 fragments per day, turn into 3+ dispensers. 3 days or less for a full collection.
    Or I concentrate on tradeskill quests, if a toon works on tradeskills at that time. I usually go for 6 hr quests and get the reward from the same expansion from all of those. In a week I easily collect a few hundred ores or pelts or whatelse to get the tradeskills up.

Again, all that Overseer activities done in my idle time from EQ, it does not interfere with the actual gameplay.
  19. Randomized Augur

Is Overseer account bound? Because that's 2.3% a reward, and it's lower at lower levels. Like my 113 Warrior is getting like .78% a level (also hasn't done much to upgrade levels in overseer).
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Conversions count against your quest completion total. So its not comparable between accounts as you could have done 100 of those theoretically.

One account I barely touch, shows 208 successes. I would guess around 40 of those are conversions, so likely in the 150-170 range of actual completions. At 5 quests a day, that's 30-34 days. So a little more than 4 weeks.

My research is level 4. Recruitment level 3. Trade and Exploration level 2. Rest are still level 1.

A level 4 uncommon research quest gives 2.1% exp from level 85-86.
    A level 4 common research quest gives 1.58% exp. Easy gives the same reward, so always do those.

A level 1 uncommon diplomacy gives 0.67%.
    A level 2 uncommon diplomacy gives 0.83%
    A level 1 common diplomacy gives 0.5%

These are examples I'm looking at right now.

Level 1 common research should be around 1%. So if you did 5 quests a day, you could be getting a minimum of around 2.5-5% per day (depending on crits) from overseer if you focus on research and then 12 hour after that with 1 recruitment a day.

After 1 month you could be doing level 4s and getting twice as much, so after a month you could probably have gotten 2 "free" levels. Not sure how that isn't helpful.