Is Overseer unbalanced?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

In hindsight, the way EQ implemented armor tiers between raiding and grouping was bad design. Raiding should’ve rewarded limited items and not complete inventories. It creates this terrible dynamic, where it’s impossible to balance small group content. It’s all hindsight though, but this whole notion of people not deserving raid gear is just tired.
    Fian likes this.
  2. Qelil Augur

Well I didn't mean people do not deserve raid gear if they don't raid. I wasn't thinking in terms of entitlement or not. What I was thinking of is simply that you need it to survive and of course beat the content. That's all. Likewise, if you are not raiding why would you need gear good enough to raid with? You don't need it. That's all I meant to say. Well, that along with if you do want it just the same then go raid and get it. It's there for taking.
  3. Samatman Augur

This is where I agree fully. Overseer shouldn't be the better way to gain a level than exping in a zone, even with LOD on. And it is. I believe that is flawed game philosophy, period. Make the game more rewarding. Keep overseer. But make the leveling experience while actually playing more rewarding than the loot.

Most of us are going to hit max level. Stop employing a spider web of impediments when now you can do it from your armchair with 40000 mouse clicks in overseer and never even see a zone past house of thule.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I get what you’re saying, but I’m reflecting on the design choice to create raid content that requires raid gear. It creates so many problems that can be seen throughout the game’s development from content tuning, player behaviors, invalidating small group content, etc.

So, when people say why do you need raid gear to do raid content, I’m asking why does raid content need raid gear?

It’s all hindsight with EQ, and nothing will change.
    Qelil likes this.
  5. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Good news! They increased the cap on merc AA's last patch.

- Increased the cap on banked Mercenary AA experience points to one-half of your current level, every 10 levels, starting at level 50 (up from 10 at level 50, 15 at level 80, and 20 at level 100.)

So THAT's something at least.
  6. Laronk Augur

Speaking as someone who has multiple max exp characters and I think I have 14 or 15 level 115’s who has not used overseer for exp AT ALL I do not think that the exp rewards from overseer are too big. I just want players to play with at 115, I don’t care if they have all their aa as long as they have an auto grant’s worth of aa.

Just because I walked up hill both ways in 6 feet of snow doesn’t mean that others should. The time required in AA progression alone trumps the whole exp grinding situation in other games.

If raids were smaller I would be more inclined to agree with you, but since raids require so much coordination among so many players the rewards need to be greater to incentivize the content. Some raiders just want the content but some raiders just want the gear and some just want the social aspect.

I didn’t raid in COV but let me tell you other than the tanks you definitely did not need raid gear in ToV for some of the raids it just made it way easier. For example Griklor and Restless Assault.
    Yinla and Qelil like this.
  7. Bobokin Augur

Basically, you are saying you don't need Overseer much for your style of play, so it should be nerfed for casual players.That is a misguided notion.

Without Overseer, casual players were left in the dust. They could almost never work on their AAs because grinding for EXP was so difficult. If they took a death, recovering even the 4% loss after a rez would kill any gains for the day.

Overseer has made a huge difference in quality of life for casual players. It makes a raid player tuned Everquest semi-playable again. It may not be needed for In and Out group multi-boxers, but it sure is for the rest of us.
    Randomized, Winnowyl and Jumbur like this.
  8. Randomized Augur

Basing this off of my current 112 Warrior, I'm seeing about .5% of a level per quest for 12 hour quests (i don't use Overseer much, not sure if it gets better later or what).

But...if I cannot gain more than 2.5% of a level in 12 hours of game play, then that's a problem with me, and not the game. If I cannot gain more than 5% of a level in 24 hours of game play, then the game is broken.

But I can easily enough. So Overseer rewards are not greater than grinding mobs.
  9. Kolaisa Elder

Umm, I dont know what quests you are doing, but on mine, I easily get 5% every 12 hours and if timed right, 10% a day, thats better for me than grinding mob for reg xp. Above 110, grinding should only be for AA.
    Ozon likes this.
  10. Ozon Augur

Your are either doing low level Overseers (T1-2) or not picking the correct ones. T3-5 Overseers its fairly common to see .83-1.5%/lvl per quest so can absolutely get 10% a day if you time it right. In addition this is outside of what you get from *in game*.

Note I personally love Overseers and think its not perfect but pretty damn good as is, I see no reason at all to change it atm.
  11. Randomized Augur

I just double checked my rewards and I guess at 112 I'm getting .75% per quest. So 4.25% every 12 hours. I can easily get that grinding in FM, well under the 12 hour mark. Grinding > Overseer still so far
    Skrab likes this.
  12. Randomized Augur

Yeah it may be the low level quests, as I said, I don't use it much so I'm not sure what it even takes to upgrade them or what not, I just do what I can here and there when I remember it.

Currently its .75% for my quests for a 12 hour return. I dont mind the extra exp on top of actually playing, I'll take what I can get, but I'm not sure how people aren't capable of getting .4% an hour of play time (on average).
    Skrab likes this.
  13. Kolaisa Elder

I can get more than that, *I* just choose to put it all towards AA above the 110 autogrant. Even after autogrant you still need in excess of 30K (not counting ToL), thats too many to try and split with reg xp. The one thing I think some people overlook is you can be doing overseer on 1 toon and playing a different one, while leveling both. If you use overseer to its full benefit you can level faster with it than you can by playing a couple hours a night. Overseer only takes about 10 minutes of your time. Time vs reward overseer is prob the best way to go.
  14. Iven the Lunatic

This is why it would be better to fix the original imbalance and revamp or remove overseer so that its just an optional mini game like /gems or being there for a single purpose and not a must have feature that has to be grinded several times daily. Its obvious that Overseer is only there as a hook to lure players into EverQuest daily so that they do spend more cash.
  15. Zunnoab Augur

There is nothing "unbalanced" with the experience rewards. It is nothing compared to regular game play, but enough to help over time. That's how it should be.

If the rewards are worth nothing at all, why should people bother with it at all? It always bothers me when "balanced" equates to "does almost nothing." It reminds me of a bard reverse DS ability being tuned with a caster tanking in Txevu, or something insane like that. The AA was utterly worthless. It's still not great, but when it was added it was quite literally pointless.
    Skrab, Qelil, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  16. Fian Augur

Other MMORPG have implemented systems where your time is better spent questing than grinding. EQ was unusual that grinding was so effective. To be honest, PLing via questing was not fun in other MMORPG. If I want to focus on gaining levels as fast as possible, I find grinding to be a much more relaxing way of doing it. TOV seriously changed the EQ leveling dynamic, and not in a positive way. When TOV came out, I reached max level in about 3 days by doing all the missions and quests. I had friends that got stuck leveling, because they weren't able to get the mission groups, and pickup groups were not able to do some of the harder missions. So, with TOV, either leveling was too fast for those that were well connected, or too slow for those that were not.

In regards to Overseer, raiders have less need to actually play the group game, because overseer will easily restore any lost experience during raids. They do need to farm AA if they are using glyphs, so at least there is that, but you can argue that there is less grouping going on right now, because of overseer rewards reducing the need for grouping.

Other games have implemented systems that encouraged logging on every day. Elder Scroll Online just has a daily reward calendar. You log on, click the reward, and can then log off. Overseer is a more involved system that takes much longer to get your rewards. Fortunately, they have made things faster than it used to be. The drawback of long reward systems, is it starts to cut into the time people could spend grouping.
  17. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I was going to state this as well. The experience rewards for people without Overseer categories leveled up are very bad. One of my FTP accounts will net like 2% a day. I’m not signing in multiple times to check Overseer.

Add Overseer as a mobile app and then I’ll check it more frequently. Replace my ForumQuest time.
  18. Kolaisa Elder

I really dont understand how people don't get at least 4-5% at day, even on free 2 play accounts. This is my monk, free to play, and off just one 12 hr quest, Im getting .78%, obviously more on paid The max of 3 quests would net me around 3% every 12 hours.... 6+% a day. That about 2 weeks of not playing at all to level.

I do this on all my alts, while I play my main. Works out great for both toons.

[IMG]
  19. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Do 24 hr research quests.
    Yinla and Velisaris_MS like this.
  20. Kolaisa Elder

quote="yepmetoo, post: 4076831, member: 426621"]Do 24 hr research quests.[/quote]

I'll only do 6 or 24 hr when I can't do anymore 12. 12 gives the best ROI and you can keep it working constantly, no down time.