Sunsetting 32bit and Truebox

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Yteran, Nov 3, 2021.

1. MarttinPH Augur

/Ragefire (Lockjaw) cries from being forgotten!
  2. Captain Video Augur

My bad. Have a *hug*.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

They can do challenge. Players whine so much that they don't.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. Stymie Pendragon

I agree. What's odd is that after all these years of California working so hard to reduce pointless consumption of resources, we have DPG doing the exact opposite.

Think of all the computers being left on just for the Bazaar across the majority of servers. True box is another example, since it only stops those that don't really want to work around it. Also, there's the ever-present "lag pile" of people waiting on buffs which exists on all servers by the time PoP is released. That's a lot of PCs logged into the game while people aren't even in the same room, house, or town for that matter.

I will cut Darkpaw some slack on the PoK pile since that's player driven, but it's still wasteful. They could add buff vendors or something similar. Who knows, maybe the 64 bit changes will open up new options for them?

I agree with the intent of True box, but I think they needed to go the extra yard to fully implement what they were trying to achieve. It's quite obvious that it isn't bulletproof in the current state. I also agree that there comes a (debatable) time during a server's life cycle where it should drop. I don't see a problem as long as they announce it ahead of time. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't enable it until a new TLP server is out anyways. That singular change to the staus quo may help them keep accounts logging in that would have vanished otherwise. It may not change anything at all, but we'll never know unless they try.

Sorry to derail the thread. As for the 32 bit part, I like the hobbit 's answer earlier. We're talking about seriously old hardware, and I would be nervous just having it plugged into my network.
  5. Torga Journeyman

Truebox is a joke, people still circumvent it. It was designed originally to stop people from boxing, now all it does is create a market where the average player playing 1 computer has no chance at benefiting from the economy. The people playing 1 account will be screwed by the neckbeards playing this game to support their rent money.
  6. Triconix Augur

Why would computers need to be left on for an offline trader?

The keeping a character on endlessly to receive "buffs" is just lazy and wasteful so I agree with you there. People are just artificially shortening the [usable] life of their machine by leaving a computer running for hours on end.
    Keella likes this.
  7. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

All i heard was I want to continue to cheat with 34 boxes and not have to invest my RMT funds into new computers.

Normal 2/3 boxers are grown ups with 64 bit OS. This is a real positive for EQ as its going to ruin a bunch of dumper computers that are only used for cheat mode.
    HimoShifu and Keella like this.
  8. Machen New Member

Got an example of the devs making something actually challenging on the TLP's? Not just tedious, but hard? Like, "not every guild can beat this" hard?

Cause motm sure didn't, and that's about the only attempt they've ever made.

I'll buy that they can do hard on live if they want. But the TLP's? Nah.
    Keella likes this.
  9. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

They could remove full group automation from a majority of the boxers and their game would be become harder instantly. :rolleyes: Maybe 64bit will ruin the spaghetti quest so many rely on.

Make things harder without slow exp or worthless ideas like motm or deathtouch? Thinking outside the realm of old school eq thought.
    Jumbur likes this.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

I still have to google if my computer is 32 or 64 every time it's asked.
  11. Xeris Augur

Not every guild gets thru potime in era. You'd be surprised. There was a guild on Agnarr that couldn't even reach potime until around a year after the server stopped progressing.
  12. Fell Augur

You forget their mechanics only became trivial when the rules were tuned to the point that they became pushovers. On most servers, one, maybe two guilds were ever able to kill the top bosses in era. And unlike today, it wasn't simply because they were killed too quickly to give others the opportunity. I recall an early Vox raid of around 120 people, which never got her below 80%, despite attempting to bind-rush her, and accumulating some 500+ deaths in the attempt. In PoF/PoH, many guilds (including our server's largest guild) couldn't even break the zone to clear trash, much less attempt Cazic and Innoruuk.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I thought there was lots of hard content on TLP's, but that people just left the server before the hard content was unlocked?

There is no rule that says you have to leave the server, before it catches up to live...You have only "beaten" a TLP, if you stick with it all the way, imho! ;)

Later expansions have vanquisher achievements, you should try those if you want a challenge.
  14. zleski Augur

At some point, you need to be dragged into the computing era of this decade.
  15. Fell Augur

So your response is, "play on this dull, boring server for a couple years: it'll eventually become fun!"
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Playing the same content each time a new TLP launches isn't dull and boring?
    Tweakfour17 and Keella like this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Tbh, I only play on live and I think that is fun. But there were TLP's that had active raiding guilds, all the way to "live era". They probably had fun too.
    Tweakfour17 and code-zero like this.
  18. HekkHekkHekk Augur

Real grown-ups use 64 bit operating systems. Poors out.
  19. Fell Augur

You're playing the same videogame for 20 years, and you offer this as a valid response?

Challenging content isn't boring, no. Trivial content is.
  20. Tymeless Augur

Nothing challenging in the classic-PoP experience