What are the new cap values for banked merc AAs?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mukkul, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Mukkul Augur

I can't make sense of this line from the Oct 20 patch notes: "- Increased the cap on banked Mercenary AA experience points to one-half of your current level, every 10 levels, starting at level 50"

Is it half your current level, or is it half your current level minus 50, or is it your current level minus 50 divided by two? And what does "every 10 levels" mean?
  2. Hekaton Augur

55 at 115
    basically at 120 will be at 60
    so half your level every 10 levels
    Pano, code-zero and Cragzop like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hmm, I wonder if the increase in the number banked Merc. AA points you can have points to more expensive Merc. AA points coming with the upcoming expansion.
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Hekaton got it. It uses the reverse logic that regular aas do so unlike regular aa save cap that bumps up to the next level at the 1 and 6 levels, merc aa save cap makes you wait until the 0 level before it bumps.

I think there very well may be a merc aa addition soon with 20+ aa levels. But I also think the level was bumped to deal with the fact that you will just have more merc aas now since you can acquire them without your merc actually being out.
    Winnowyl and Coagagin like this.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Just spend em, then once your merc is maxed bank as needed until they give you more.
  6. Gialana Augur

A mathematical expression could be:
    M = [L / 10] * 10 / 2 if L >= 50,
    where M is the maximum amount of banked mercenary AA,
    L is your current level,
    and [L / 10] means to take the integer part of L / 10.

Since your current level can only be positive, you could also do:
    M = floor(L / 10) * 10 / 2

Again, this only applies if your level is at least 50.

For instance, at level 115:
    floor(115 / 10) * 10 / 2 = 11 * 10 / 2 = 110 / 2 = 55.

That's the same as if your current level were 110:
    floor(110 / 10 ) * 10 / 2 = 11 * 10 / 2 = 110 / 2 = 55.
    Mukkul likes this.
  7. Coagagin Guild house cat

So far the merc is sitting on 42 AA at 115 with no end in sight. But, yeah was planning to see the ceiling set to 60.
  8. Thunderkiks Augur

115 is 55 stored. I have a few characters already there.
    Winnowyl and Mukkul like this.
  9. Mukkul Augur

If level 50 doesn't factor into the formula except as a condition, then I guess we're missing info on what the max banked merc AA cap is below level 50. But since merc AA progresses slowly at those levels, maybe it doesn't matter?
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not at all. Below level 50, merc XP comes very slowly, and you can't hang out at those levels for long periods, because there are (relatively) no AAs to earn. So, you're shooting through all the levels where the merc XP comes slowly anyway.
  11. Bobokin Augur

Wouldn't half your level rounded up have just been easier?

It is sort of silly to have to guess because the formula is too large for non-savants to recall.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

1-50 = 25
    60 = 30
    70 = 35
    80 = 40
    90 = 45
    100 = 50
    110 = 55
    120 = 60
  13. Bobokin Augur

So ... half of every full ten levels.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

Sure, what you can not do however, is half your level and round up, because that doesn't work.

You expressed this by multiplying and then dividing by 10, which is not necessary.
    You just need M=Floor(L)/2 or M=a⌉/2

If L<50, then M=25
    else M=a⌉/2
    Gialana likes this.
  15. Gialana Augur

That's cool you got the brackety things in your post. I just looked at my keyboard and saw they weren't there, then didn't consider that I could copy them from somewhere else.

Dividing by 10 inside the floor function and multiplying by 10 outside rounds the level down to the nearest 10 levels instead of nearest level. If we wanted to calculate the maximum banked AAs for level 114 and used ⌊114⌋/2, we would calculate 57 instead of the limit of 55, not that 2 merc AA really makes that big of a difference when banking so many.
  16. Angahran Augur

Merc is max and 55 banked (at 119).
    Need new merc AAs or increase cap (even 50 at 120 will fill fast).
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

I got you now. I was looking at the floor function incorrect. I was seeing it as rounding down to the nearest 10, but rather is functionally removes the decimal and what is after it. So I understand why you are multiplying by 10 inside. Thanks for setting me straight.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

Is this just a mathist curiosity, or is there a reason for the question? I cant think of why merc saved aa cap would matter. Mine are always spent as soon as I earn them then capped till next expansion.
  19. Yorag Journeyman

No new Merc AA's offered in ToL. Looks like we will all be banking the maximum before long and then losing the rest.