Request: Overseer Bulk Conversion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veltio, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Veltio Journeyman

Would it be possible to add a bulk type conversion for overseer quests? Currently we pick, say a single Kirathas Druid, Captive Elemental and Trueborn Embalmer for a common conversion quest. If I had, say, 10 of each, would I be able to select 3, 6, or 9 (multiples of 3) of a type of unit for the conversion?

For example, if I had
    -Kirathas Druid x 12
    -Captive Elemental x 13
    -Trueborn Embalmer x 10

and I chose a quest "Common Conversion (9)".
    I selected Kirathas Druid, Captive Elemental and Trueborn Embalmer, and began the quest, I would end up with 9 new Uncommon units, and have 3 druids, 4 elementals, and 1 embalmer left over.

The goal here being to reduce the number of clicks and tedium to run through a bunch of conversions.
    YesPLease, Raccoo, Elyssanda and 3 others like this.
  2. zleski Augur

Yes please. I have 1100+ agents and it's incredibly slow to use. I clocked one conversion at around 30 seconds wall time to select the task, agents, and click through to completion.
  3. Kolaisa Elder

I WOULD LOVE THIS!
  4. Fullwin Journeyman

While we're at it, is there some technical reason the conversion quests require 10 seconds to run or could they be made to complete either immediately or in a much quicker time? I don't mind the clicking as much but for more than a few at a time the waiting really adds up.
    Celephane likes this.
  5. Visitor Augur

Actually, conversion was adjusted so that agents with a multiple count are first in list, and you can use more then one at a time. So with 13 12 and 10, the 13 shows first, , then the now 2 12s, , then 2 11s, and can trim it on down. I still do not have 2 of all my base agents, bur only convert 3s or more, so i have spares if one is out of action. Should i get to the point that i have all Elites and Rares and Uncommons, I will stop converting, unless new Elites are added.
  6. Voxvixen Journeyman

I have 1200 on 4 accounts. I cannot bring myself to do the tedium of conversion quests some 2000 times. Kill me now. Not how anyone wants to spend time in-game. They just keep stacking up >.<

Meanwhile the botters have no prob here!
  7. Gialana Augur

An auto-convert would be nice, even if you had to keep the Overseer window open for the whole process.

This might not be the best way, but I was thinking it could be setup to convert any duplicate iconic agents (uncommon and rare since elite can't be converter to higher). There could also be an option for setting a threshold for non-iconic agents. Any duplicates in excess of the threshold would be converted, assuming there are enough instances to fill the three conversion spots among the various duplicate agents.

However, any bugs with this might be very bad.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The usual reason for this is to make sure the client (your computer) and the server (Daybreak) properly sync up and all the necessary checks are done and recorded. There are too many instances in the past when problems with syncing caused bugs, data corruption, and/or cheating.

Any time you are awarded items outside the game structure (like buying items in the Marketplace, or in this case Overseer), there is a delay of a few seconds as this is done. Since potentially hundreds of players could be doing Overseer quests at the same time, a delay is added to prevent failures.
    Fullwin likes this.
  9. Windance Augur

Next you'll be asking for a "convert all" button :)
  10. Iven the Lunatic

A better solution would be to cap the amount of agents for each type. As example you could only have a maximum of 5 unique agents like a "Kaladim Guard". If this cap would be reached all agent rewards from recruitment quests, bonus agents from critical sucess and those from conversions do grant other agents but never those that are at the cap already. If the account has collected all agents and if those are at the amount cap, no further agents would be rewarded but maybe some bonus experience or currency instead. This would also solve the problem of collecting missing agents which is getting harder with each new agent pack release. The chance to receive a special (missing) common agent is currently at 0,93% as there are already 108 common agents. The chance to receive an uncommon agent is 1,39% [Source].
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

Once you have all the agents, and multiples of non-iconic agents, why would you even bother running conversions?
  12. Windance Augur

The only reason to convert once you have all the agents is to keep the total number of agents under control.

The total number of agents will have an impact on how fast/responsive the overseer window is. Try clicking the agent tab when you have 10 agents, vs 100 agents vs 1000 agents.
    YesPLease likes this.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

Prior to the new agents/quests they put in a few months ago, all three of my accounts had hundreds of copies of agents, and I never saw any slow down of the Overseer window.

What they need is to add some other type of reward for agent conversion, instead of just getting another agent...currency, xp, something.
    Moege likes this.
  14. zleski Augur

As I mentioned earlier, I have over 1100 agents (and this is after having recently spent a half hour on conversions) and my overseer is very slow. Doing a single conversion takes about 30 seconds each. I envy that you can have hundreds of each agent and experience no slowdown, I suspect you are an outlier.
    YesPLease likes this.
  15. Coagagin Guild house cat

Two Iconic agents were added to the database but not yet released for use. Guessing the release will coincide with ToL in a month or so. Expect other changes to Overseerer as bandwidth and graphics are brought into the current century.
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

If I forget to sync my computer's clock before I load EQ, trying to do a conversion can sometimes take 30 seconds or more. And then I sync the clock and I'm back to 10-second conversions. I don't think the slowdown has anything to do with the number of agents you have.
  17. Crystilla Augur

If I can ask, those with so many agents ... is there a reason you didn't do the conversions initially when you come back to claim the tasks? I am not a fan of asking for dev time/code for something that has a solution as it's not actually a problem that needs to be fixed.

Conversions take 10 seconds on the timer, then add 10 more to claim it, move back to select the common conversion tab and select 3 more agents. What's being asked for is not a bug report/fix; it's a convenience request.
  18. zleski Augur

What I mean is, it takes 20 seconds to get through the overseer UI, from the delay in selecting each agent, to waiting for the new agent to be registered. The actual quest takes just about 10 seconds.

The more agents one has, the slower the UI becomes. On the beta server, where I have no agents, the whole thing is extremely responsive.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

My counter question would be, once you have all the agents on an account (and 2-3 copies of non-iconic agents), what is the point of doing conversions?

Also, having that many dupes means if/when they add new agents/quests, you can do conversions and get dozens of the new agents right away. When this new group of agents was added, I had so many dupes on one account that I got all the new elites on the first day after doing a whole lot of conversions.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

Ah, ok. I have to say, I've never experienced that kind of slowdown with Overseer across my three accounts. As I said, the only problem I've had is the timing when I didn't sync the clock.