/copylayout syntax?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by IblisTheMage, Nov 2, 2021.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Hi,
    I am trying to use /copylayout like this:

/copylayout UI_Ibliz_antonius.ini Windowed

but it does nothing except giving a command that the layout has been copied.

Also tried:
    /copylayout UI_Ibliz_antonius.ini

as well as following up with a /reload ui

I can use the selection interface, but that is not what I want, I want to make a social button that copies the layout from another toon.
  2. Raytan Augur

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I've never tried it with a "UI" command. I have copied layouts quite a bit, and if I want the socials, hotkeys, etc...there are 3 or 4 buttons at the bottom of the "/copylayout" window when you choose the layout you want. I normally check all of those and get all the socials and the hotkeys from the character I'm coping from. Then I have to delete some socials or hotkeys because the characters are different levels or different classes, which is usually not a problem.

I don't use a 3rd party UI, so not sure how that might work. A social button probably would work because you need to select what layout you want to copy and then choose the buttons on the bottom, which you may or may not want to copy from the layout. When I use the "copylayout" command I have a window that asks for the layout I want from ALL my characters, and the windowed or settings.

I'd try the "/copylayout" command, pick the layout from the character you want to copy, then hit all the buttons on the bottom. It should be very close to what you wanted to copy. Again, with the default UI, some windows can be a bit off, like when you try to copy a mage to a warrior (no spell icons for casting) or vice versa, but the window layout should be close and the socials should be the same.
  3. Gialana Augur

It looks like this might not be possible with an EverQuest command.

/copylayout UI_character_server.ini
    or
    /copylayout UI_character_server.ini Windowed
    both display text that doesn't make sense.

/copylayout Windowed UI_character_server.ini
    gives text that makes sense.

However, none of these options actually modify the UI file; the modified date doesn't change.

I was hoping /copylayout without options would give the correct syntax, but it opens the copylayout window. This is a shorter way to get to the copylayout window even if it's not what you're looking for.

Also, whey I tried /reload UI, I was told that wasn't a command. I also tried /reload ui, /reloadUI, /reloadui. None worked.
  4. Cisra New Member

Sorry I just reread your original post that actually said you wanted the command-only version to automate changes, sorry I missed that somehow but I'll leave the rest for whoever needs it. I'll try to figure out a working direct command for copying layouts from server characters that can be put as a command in a social and amend the post with it if I do. I haven't used it that way myself as the UI fulfilled my needs and you don't seem to be able to send a layout to different characters as far as I can tell, only receive one.

If you want your windowed screen to change then be in windowed mode when you use it.
    If you want your full-screen to change then be in full-screen when you use it.

Full screen and windowed count as different layouts, so ALT ENTER to whichever you don't normally use if you want to experiment then ALT ENTER again to return to normal.

Type /copylayout

Choose the character to copy from, if you choose a line saying windowed that's what that character has when windowed, the rest say the actual resolution. You can copy these to either your windowed or full screen display so it doesn't matter which you are currently using.

You might want to remove any existing hotkeys if you want an exact copy of the hotkeys, it doesn't overwrite just looks for empty slots to put them in. It will create new hotkey bars though if the character you are copying from has more bars than you do, along with the rest of the other characters layout.

If the character you want to copy from isn't in the list, then you just haven't used it on that computer before, try logging into it then log out back to your original character. It lists all characters that have ever been used on the computer before, including any on other servers though you might have to scroll down a bit to find them all.

Just as a note: If you want to copy your old full-screen layout to your new higher full-screen but default layout because you upgraded your monitor, then it will move the on-screen elements proportionately apart to look like the original instead of leaving empty areas on the right and bottom. Does a good job of it and it also works the other way around too, pushing them together.

Hope this makes it clearer for you.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

Thanks all, it would appear that the command does not work.

I will make a bug report.