EverQuest Producer's Letter Fall 2021

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Going to 64-Bit is a pretty big Deal for a 22 yr old code. You guys seem to be just glazing over that. Time and money to do it aside ... 64 bit opens the door to things in EQ that were impossible in a 32 bit client.
    Coagagin and Wdor like this.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Agreed that it is a big deal. What advantages/improvements can the average player look forward to with a switch to 64 bit? I have read numerous comments about bazaar pricing, but what will this jump bring me?
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Yinla like this.
  3. Keella Journeyman

64 bit at the most basic level will raise the cap on how much ram the client can leverage

It also means things like wider data paths (more data processed at the same time) more memory addresses (larger number of labels to store a larger range of things in ram) for faster access to it for the CPU than from your ssd or hdd.
  4. Jyve Augur

Think the main benefit everyone will see will be Necro Dots will be able to do that bit more damage, tanks will be able to do 64bits of aggro, and the RNG will have lots more potential numbers it can hit that means you won't get the drop you were hoping for.

/nod
    Qelil, PatCleric and Zarzac like this.
  5. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

For one the tiny jam packed global file EQ has had to struggle with for years will no longer be an issue.
  6. theonepercent Augur

If adding a 64 bit client means phasing out the 32 bit client I guess that puts an official end date on my time playing EQ. Live doesn't interest me at all and the extra computers I use to make truebox servers playable are all 32bit. Cyas a year from now when this actually launches.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Pretty pointless letter. Same as last time. Just something she's required to do so spits it out once a year. Anything of value was already known.
  8. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

You should have moved to a 64 bit OS years ago. Almost nothing will run on a 32 bit OS soon. Microsoft is literally giving OS's away for free nowadays.
    code-zero, Shindius and Keella like this.
  9. theonepercent Augur

OSs that Microsoft give away don't help when my trash computers can't run them.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. Keella Journeyman

Pretty much every PC made since 2005 has a 64 bit cpu, if your computer is more than 16 years old it's not even running a current OS meaning it's so out of date it is a security liability.
    code-zero, minimind, Shindius and 3 others like this.
  11. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

If you save $15 a month you can get a computer in 2 years that can run a 64 bit OS and still be decent. I understand money might be tough but you should really try and save some money since your box will be a brick soon. I had to do it a while ago when I was having some rough times.
  12. Zarzac Augur

Hate when people make me log in to like something :)
  13. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

It would have to be better than 2.0. I mean they couldn't possibly make anything worse, could they? hehe
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I have 8 touch screen win98 boxes (in various states of disrepair) from retail store kiosks.

When 98 stopped working online, went to Ubuntu 16.04, which is the highest I can get to function with the hardware. Still pretty functional, but I couldn't get EQ working on them. :(

Linux Mint is invading a number of my other machines in the hardware twilight zone.
    Coagagin, Shindius and Keella like this.
  15. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

CIHYS?
  16. Zanarnar Augur

64-bit client and server are huge. As others have noted. This is great news as the literal future of the game depended on it. I only hope they take their time with this upgrade and fix a bunch of other issues while they're at it that are usually too much work due to having to touch so much code. Its all being touched anyways. This should be the end of the INT4 used to define classes and races among other limitations :)

For those lacking even a 64-bit CPU, well you will have to upgrade. That is the single downside and its pretty much unavoidable.
    Coagagin likes this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

64bit, will mean a large address-space for the client, which opens the possibilities for larger and more detailed zones, and more memory intensive assets(models, textures, etc).
    We already had zones that DBG were forced to split up into smaller parts. They already ran into the size limit for zones in VoA(sepulcher) and RoF(heart of fear). I think this will give us larger and more detailed zones in future expansions.

At the very least, it is one less limitation the designers will have to work around. :)

Not to mention the possibility to optimize the client for more than 2 GB of memory. I expect the immediate advantage will be improved memory-management.
    Ozon likes this.
  18. Maedhros High King

lol at the doom and gloom about 64 bit. If youre not able to run 64 bit maybe its time to upgrade from your pentium 2 and windows 2000.
  19. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

I can already hear the hate for any potential new 64-bit character models.
  20. Soulbanshee Augur

Remember when people were up in arms for EverQuest no longer running on Windows XP? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    Maedhros and Shindius like this.