Weird situation

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kolaisa, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

*nod* As far as I know, Win7 doesn't have the same kind of memory leak, either. Just that the behavior sounds the same is all. =)
  2. Iven the Lunatic

This is typical for network lag when the local client cannot receive or send data to the game server. As also Everquest.com is loading slowly and is producing lag your computer does have a network problem. Never heard about a WinXP memory leak but it might help if you could tell us the amount of memory that your computer does have. It is very unlikely that it has something to do with the experience bonus system.

Possible source issues:
    • Network router settings
    • Firewall settings
    • Antivirus software
    • Network provider connection to daybreak servers
    • Bad (memory) settings in BIOS/UEFI and for OS memory management
    • Damaged hardware (DDR-RAM, SSD)
    • Corrupted or lost files on harddisk
    • Bad eqclient.ini settings for CPU affinity (should be "-1" for each core)
  3. Kolaisa Elder

I have 16GB of ram, more than enough to play 6 boxes. Ive said this countless times before, but this only happened after bonus xp, before that I ran 6 clients with zero lag. All my webpages load just fine, including DBC, except that one occurance. I stream while I play, have mulltiple pages open, the same as before bonus xp. After, I get lag with zero pages open, without streaming going. This is only happening in RoS expac. I can take all the boxes anywhere else and get no lag, but I take them to OT or other RoS zones, bam, massive lag. It's not a network issue because if it was I would be seeing issues outside EQ and I am not. There is a common thread to all this and it's RoS expac, it hasnt been happening away from those zones. That means it's not hardware, or any of the other issues you suggested. If it was those I'd be seeing this problem everywhere.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Have you run file verification on all accounts?

I would go so far as to delete one or more of the zone files for ROS and let them rebuild on log in and see if that helps.

There is something in that expansion files that is causing this. But if you uninstall/reinstall there is no guarantee it will fix it.

Edit I remember posts from folks in the past where the issue turned out to be allowing something thru the fire wall - somehow it was blocking the ports for that zone.
  5. Kolaisa Elder

Thank you, Ill see if doing that helps.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I added a bit about firewall and ports. Going to see if I can find those posts
  7. Kolaisa Elder

Firewall and ports would be affecting the entire game, not just one expac. Outside these problem zones, there is no issue. I don't think Im wrong but maybe I am.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Not necessarily the entire game or all zones - there was a problem with Comcast gateways a few years back that the update for Comcast made it go wonky and it was blocking certain zones and servers.

This is what the ending was:

I had the Comcast provided Cable gateway configured to have firewall disabled already, and had it locked into gateway only mode. As anyone on Comcast knows, they periodically push out updates to their provided routers from time to time. Well, apparently something had been done that made the firewall on this device go wonky. No matter what settings I configured the firewall for, I could not get connectivity to multiple Everquest servers (was more than one I found out later). Long story short, I ended up configuring my main CISCO router as a DMZ host on the provided cable modem/gateway, and that seemed to clear everything up.

More recently Century link had a similar issue.

But this is the post from the port forwarding I was thinking of -
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ter-few-seconds-when-i-have-logged-in.225585/
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Maybe its just CPU lag as EoK and RoS and all following expansions have alot more zone textures to calculate. You would experience lag in TDS zones too with all its animations. As you wrote that you had to decrease the clip plane to 35% and lower your CPU is very old or a weak laptop CPU. Check out the CPU and GPU temperatures when your problems do occur !
    You might be in the wrong forum if you are sure that the ending experience bonus is the source of the problem. This would be a bug.

I remember that there are a few hidden log files beside the common log.txt that could produce lag but they have nothing to do with RoS specifically and I cannot remember their names.