new race/class

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mortik_soul, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Mortik_soul New Member

more a question for the devs but....when do you guys plan or have the thought to do the class and race vote combo again? >.>
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

new races or new classes cannot happen without some very difficult, problematic & potentially game-breaking code changes to the registers to overcome the 16 class & 16 race limitations the game currently has.

New combinations are a possibility so long as they use existing races and classes.
    Devs have not spoke about this since the combo clash event in late 2013 to Jan 2014 though so you could be waiting a long time.
    I think the devs have a very busy few years ahead of them in terms of modernising the EverQuest game so they probably won't even be looking at a topic such as this for 4-5 years.

I would see that the list of stuff the dev team have on their plate as being pretty busy.
    addressing raid lag
    64 bit transition
    UI overhaul - especially in addressing the need for a UI suitable for resolutions over 1080p but mostly in addressing layer-bloat.
    buff system revamp
    new graphics engine (bringing game up to DX 12 at least)
    new pathing engine
    catch-up mechanic - bridging the gap between max level veterans and new players without 22 years of EverQuest experience - the aforementioned UI overhaul will be a huge part of that but so does catching-up systems.
    Once all that is achieved they can start looking at "fluff" like new race/class combinations again.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

4. Mortik_soul New Member

which is why i asked i personally dont see them modernising the game to what your expecting. i was refering to that combo done back then
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah I have nothing against new combinations.
    I just don't think its on the radar right now, maybe one of them will chime in & prove me wrong.
  6. demi Augur

This will prolly never happen .. this game is within 5 years of being on auto pilot (maintenance mode) .. I would be HIGHLY surprised if they did any of the above mentioned items on there so called plate..

the way they communicate and treat there customers is beyond ridiculous ..

A friend of mine wants me to check out a new game from Amazon called New World .. so I did .. looks really good .. I have one problem though my system currently is old and does not meet the minimum system requirements.. for me to bring my system up to Par would cost me about $1200 ( I mean if i'm gonna upgrade I'm gonna go all out) and I would rather spend the money on a new system for that game and some newer games out there than for EQ ..

I mean I could take that 1200 cause i can run around 8 instances of EQ on my current system and buy expansions and all the bells and whistles from EQ which I was planning on doing .. but I'm not cause i know they wont reinvest that money back into EQ .. They've blown there good will from me .. until i see changes they wont get another dime from this old geezer..

so I will take that money and upgrade and try this new game out ..
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

64-bit files are already appearing in the beta client, the project is far from complete so no 64-bit option exists currently but I would not be surprised if it is available to test before the end of 2022.

JChan has gone on the record that she wants to hear from an experienced EQ UI designer and has said that an overhaul of the UI is very high on her list of things she thinks the game needs. So I actually think we will see that happen, it needs to to secure the long term future of EQ anyway, and that's what this team is very aware of.

The other things I think will follow after the 64 bit transition an a UI overhaul - it makes perfect sense to carry on modernisation of the game to bring it up to a modern standard - that could mean the game's current zones & models look the same as they do right now and future zones and models look drastically improved - time will tell.

Pretty much a recurrent theme of SoE/Daybreak/DarkPaw has been generally poor communication with players. It would be nice to see this improved on an ongoing long term basis because the sporadic deep communication events have been very few & far between.

The hype-train for New World has come off the rails some. It has some very fundamental flaws with the coding structure and even their forums that make me shake my head and wonder wtf they were thinking and how nobody among them understood how badly they were screwing up given how big the team is - that's something that has to be cultural and after a bunch of failed games this New World success was something that AGS craved but after initial celebratory success looks to have been a fake success - they sold a lot of games, but player populations are crashing due to some massive bugs and a very large lack of any meaningful end game content.
    I bought the game and a new graphics card to play it, and I have enjoyed what is there casually rather a lot. But long-term AGS has a massive amount of problems to address and fix and the game may not survive (as in hold onto players) long enough in its current state for them to get that done.

Honestly, upgrading your PC is a smart move whether you try out NW or stick with EQ, so I would say do it and forgo the additional lavish expenditure on EQ because EQ does not deserve you spending that much money on it right now, and a year or so from now you will probably want to be able to take advantage of the 64 bit EQ client and a new PC will let you do that far better.
    demi likes this.
  8. Mortik_soul New Member

to be completely honest with ur pc needing upgrades...u can buy the hp gaming pavilion and buy ram sep (if u wanted) and spend maybe half of that and be good for new world/wow not to mention eq. but anyway DEVS!!!!!!! CLASS VOTING?!
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

probably same problem with the 1b pp limit im guessing eq is old. I know ive been playing since 2000 lol.

Andarriel
  10. Tucoh Augur

Playable Grimlings race in ToL confirmed.
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Iksar berserker or don't bother.
    Keella, Ozon, menown and 3 others like this.
  12. Mortik_soul New Member

im on this energy or even a drakkin bst with drake pets sounds dope too
    code-zero and Kaenneth like this.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Race and Class Combo Clash: Round Two | EverQuest

We had a chance at Gnome Beastlord. Honestly, I am not sure how Wood Elf Beastlord won out.

Ultimately, Iksar Berserker fit the lore best. (I guess the SoD iksar illusion was available at the time). But there was a (Drizzt) cult following for Dark Elf Ranger in the finals.
    Keella and Ssdar like this.
  14. Keella Journeyman

The least liked option won because it had the most support from the party=poopers :)
  15. code-zero Augur

I'd like to see Drakkin have all classes open to them. Their home city supports GM for every class already