Is Overseer unbalanced?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Fian Augur

It seems to me that Overseer is too generous. Collects for prior expansions seems reasonable enough, but the rest of the rewards are too extreme. Exp gain from regular hunting is too low for TOV and higher, but Overseer gains mean that you never have to think of adventuring for experience, just AA. The TS drops you get from prior expansions also means there is no reason to hunt for mats except for current expansion.

On the game side of things, at least they made it faster to make choices, but do you really enjoy playing the game? Other games have logon incentives, but it only takes a second to claim them. Playing Overseer is more like a daily chore than something I enjoy doing.

That is my viewpoint, but what about yours? Do you like Overseer or do you think the game would be better without it?
    Duder likes this.
  2. Petalonyx Augur

I think it is fine. Helps casual players reach max level and group with friends. A level every 10-20 days is not breaking anything. Allowing players (esp cauals) to feel like they are making progress, even when they cant find a group is a great thing for player retention.

I thought the TS mat and collect rewards seemed fair. Merc AAs reward should be replaced with something else since regular exp rewards give more merc AAs.
  3. demi Augur

with as many AA's that there are .. Overseer should give an AA reward .. maybe replace the merc AA reward with player AA's .. it would be one way to close the huge gap from autogranted AA's and still needing thousands of AA's to play catch up .. especially sense some of those AA req 100 to 200 for a single tier ..
    Winnowyl, Qelil, Leerah and 3 others like this.
  4. Alnitak Augur

"Huge gap" you say? Some classes have that gap at 25-30 K AA's. At what rate should Overseer give AA's to close that gap? And should Overseer also grant old expansion Achievements, which reward with Heroic AA's? Just so catch-up players become on-par with players who's been earning those Achievements over the course of countless weeks of play.
    And how about raid currency from Overseer? So the catchup players would still have an opportunity to have the last expansion raid gear without even participating in open raids.
    Let's not stop there, let's plant those awesome beta-server NPCs in PoK which grant all the gear and AA's just for asking.

Sarcasm aside, Overseer character experience is functioning as intended - gives small amount of level experience for those who do not have many opportunities to embark on leveling-up questing. Slowly but surely they will level up with Overseer. It is not designed to replace the actual gameplay. And in my opinion - it should not be.
    Celephane likes this.
  5. demi Augur

different strokes for different folks ..
    xp is experience . it should not be discriminated against whether its regular experience vs AA experience .. if overseer gives regular experience it should give aa experience as well ..

yes there is a huge gap still ,granted depending on class, but some classes dont max out on aa's till 40k usually tanks or healer class's as they have not only tankage aa's to deal with but casting spell focus aa's or healing aa's .. so if Autogrant gets you to 22k to 24k aa's that still leaves at max almost 20k aa's .. for people who do not play 24/7 365 days a year it can take a full year or 2 to max those out .. im not saying give us raid gear or /ach .. only some AA experience reward through overseer .. I'm also not saying to make it give like 20AA per quest, but 1 or 2 aa per quest doesnt seem to unreasonable for 12 hour quests .. maybe make the 6 hour quests give 1 aa .. 12 hour 2 aa 24 hour 3 AA .. criticals would double that .. ?

so dont go getting your panties all tied up in knots .. loosen them up a bit .. your cutting off the flow of oxygen to your brain ..
    Qelil likes this.
  6. Kolaisa Elder

I have always wondered why overseer gives only normal xp. Why doesn't it give xp and let the player decide where it goes via the sliding scale we already have. I dont deal with the other stuff right now so I cant talk on that, but xp should be the player choice like it is elsewhere.
    Barton, Coagagin, Winnowyl and 3 others like this.
  7. Randomized Augur

Does it not? Can you not set your % of AA and the exp will distribute accordingly? I don't use Overseer much so I'm not 100% on this
  8. Windance Augur

Is overseer over powered ? - Probably.

Do I like overseer? - Yes.

Would the game be better with out it? - Probably - but they need to address the XP grinding issue they created with the super sized XP required vs XP gained by killing mobs.

For those of us who raid, we are already logging in daily to refill the 150-200 AA we burn in glyphs. Don't really want to add 5-10% daily grind in real XP after a hard night doing new content where you wipe multiple times per fight.

The changes they made to collects makes it fairly reasonable. If you really want to get your collects done you can do that via overseer but its going to take several weeks to complete them.

The number of mats you get from overseer are fairly low. It takes doing a LOT of overseer stuff to get a decent stockpile of mats. Farming old zones for TS mats can be disruptive to anyone who might actually be there trying to level or quest ( rare but it happens ) and is most definitely NOT fun.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

When overseer launched we were told the lack of AA reward was down to coding.

Since them they have changed other things but still not got the AA reward working. :rolleyes: They also haven't added the TS mats for older expansions, something many asked for.
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

No, you get character xp and merc AA xp. You can't get regular AA xp from it no matter how you try to distribute it.
  11. Kolaisa Elder

No, it doesn't matter. I have had my AAXP set to 100% and haven't got any since I maxxed out. Lesson doesn't help it either. What does is when we get bonus xp. I'm wondering if the perks that give bonus xp work with it though.
  12. Fian Augur

I do agree that 111-115 is way too slow to gain by killing mobs. Overseer fixes that problem, but it is a bad solution. Fix TOV/COV exp gain, and remove Overseer experience.
    Leerah likes this.
  13. Randomized Augur

Devs went a new route and took the exp away from mob grinding and put it into quests/achievements. Even without Overseer, if you follow the progression lines, exp comes in fast. They just went a new direction with it is all, doesn't mean its not there or slow
    code-zero and Leerah like this.
  14. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

It's such a bad design choice for a game with a very limited player population. Most people box, so I guess that makes it seem ok.
  15. Windance Augur

The problem with that argument is its a one time reward. You can't keep going back and doing the quests to top off lost XP.

I think most everyone would disagree with you. XP rate grinding mobs is slow.
    Leerah, Stymie and Skrab like this.
  16. Randomized Augur

The amount of experience you get from the one time rewards has been substantially increased to make up for that. And I was referring to experience in general for the expansion. It’s all there. It’s just in a different form. Devs wanted to try a new path and put experience in questing more so than mob grinding. From the sounds of it, this is going to carry on into ToL as well (although they increased mob exp a bit from ToV and CoV).

Well 2/3 of the experience can be gained from solo/molo style play while it’s really only the missions that require a group. I’m
    Not saying it’s perfect, but I don’t think it’s horrible. It was just a shock since it’s mainly been one specific way for nearly 20 years. I’d be happy if they cut it back and made it 50/50. Reduce quest/achievement experience a little and up mob experience a little so everyone gets the best of both worlds. (Think I mentioned this in another thread before too)
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Is it really a new route though? Didn't they try it in RoF-tier1 too?
    What was the response back then?
  18. Randomized Augur

Did they? I missed RoF when it was current. But I've found the mob xp to be decent when just grinding around levels 92-95 there. Although they do have some nice xp tied up in achievements and quests though
  19. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

When’s the Overseer app launching for mobile devices? Also, LoN should’ve been brought back for mobile like 10 years ago.
  20. cadres Augur

I don't like the whole concept of Overseer.
    I've levelled up more than one toon that's never left PoK to 115. My purist side reckons that's just wrong. But it's here now and. yes, if it's there I am sure going to use it

Tradeskill stuff: Sure, when it's my turn to go to an obscure, hard to get to, godforsaken corner of Norrath to find a 'lesser-blue-spotted-only-seen-on-Sundays-tiny-rare-rabbit' pelt (that drops from less than 1% of rare rabbits), I'd be very glad to be able to switch to Overseer. But wouldn't that take away from a whole theme of the game? Shouldn't some things just be hard? I think they probably should. So I prefer to not have the rarest drops on Overseer.

AAs, yes, I like the idea of a slider that Overseer XP can go to AAs or levels or some combo - just like 'regular' XP. It make sense