SK vs. Paladin Solo at 115

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Roguexx, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Randomized Augur

But that's not how Taunt works. Taunt does nothing when you've already got aggro on the mob. All it does it put you at the top of the aggro list by 1 point. Using it on cooldown just means you've got a higher chance of it being down when (if) you need to use it. The question is justified and your answer seems a bit silly.

Spamming taunt on mobs you have aggro on is pointless. Taunt is meant to be saved for when you need snap aggro on a mob =/

Disc's on the other hand is another matter. Taunt is not the same as Discs
    Fenthen likes this.
  2. Chaosflux Augur

It is worthless if you already have aggro, but taunt doesn't work like that anymore either, it was revamped in 2015 to add % of aggro on top of #1, and a larger % on a critical taunt, not just a +1
  3. Tucoh Augur

I spam taunt just because I like talking trash.

[IMG]
    Tropi likes this.
  4. Randomized Augur

Ah good to know. They revamped it in my absence...but still, does nothing when you already have aggro though
    Fenthen likes this.
  5. p2aa Augur

Spamming taunt is only useful for warriors, because they have the Sneering Grin AA, taunt have a chance to proc 15 k hate. The risk of having it not ready when needed to grab aggro instantly is also not there as with Hastened Taunt AA, warrior's taunt has a 2 sec refresh time.

To my knowledge, no reason for knights to spam it, if they are yet the highest on aggro.

Good tanks in raid are spacing out their defensive abilities and AA to try to get smoother dmg taking. Telling to your tanks to click their ability as soon as it's up is not a good idea.
  6. Randomized Augur

I don't raid, but based off raids from other games I've played, I know my healers enjoyed having a smoother incoming damage profile from spacing out defensives over me being invulnerable for a few minutes and then them having to spam heals constantly until all my defensives came back up again.
    Tucoh likes this.
  7. Szilent Augur

manipulating? how many licks does it take to get to the center of this tootsie pop? I'm talking 147 taunts on a single enemy, 187 Spike of Anger procs, all the rando button presses that fit in that time frame. At no point did my enemy deagro due to some numerical error.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I have never seen any evidence of some stack overflow issue. And it can't be the issue with this stuff anyway considering we're talking 30-120 seconds depending on what is going on.

Something has to be related to hate over time debuffs getting multiplied by something, because you can taunt it back on you and slam some high hate in like 2-4 seconds of time (in my case, divine call, FoD, protest, stun), and get back on top with the other tank being down to 60-70%, and then they jump right back up over you after casting nothing else.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

I wouldn't be surprised to see shenanigans resulting from whatever system they have to avoid integer overflow in an exponentially increasing system. But who knows.
  10. Szilent Augur

I suppose I wouldn't be surprised either? But I haven't seen it, is my point.
    Tucoh likes this.
  11. Unoneemoose Played since Beta. Seen it. Been there. Done that.

SK didnt get spells until L9 back then, that's correct. I can tell you that no one out-agro'd SK from Beta. You can go on and on with how it wasn't possible. Disease cloud and clinging darkness (yes, i misspoke on it being disease line, i should have corrected myself on it being magic) were key for the longest time. As stated before, before disease spells were nerfed of its agro counter, it dominated. Clinging darkness was magic based, but it still hit the agro counter even when resisted. Around the beginning of the launch of Velious i would sit in the Blind Fish talking with a Dev who went by Starreyes in game. She would appear as a female Iksar SK. She liked to swap my race sometimes to Vah Shir or Gnome (hated that most... gnomes are food, nothing more). We discussed all kinds of stuff, from RP to raiding. I hadn't raided much but was heavy into the lore of the game. one day discussing raid tactics, one of the pieces of her pieces of advice was indeed to spam Disease cloud and Clinging Darkness because of how much taunt they generated. From then on, in addition to taunt, disarm, and bashing, those spells were on the rotation for agro.

So feel free to not believe it. go ahead disagree with it. by all means reject it. SK players from the beginning who did play and raid with that class know different. I raided from Velious to GoD (despised Omens of War, so i went on to other games. didnt come back until 2015), and in that time SK were the agro-gods. For normal grouping, no one was a better tank. We just weren't durable enough to by the MT on raids solely due to game development. Warriors did, and that was their job. I saw some comments saying things like "Good like finding a warrior now like that"... learn to read, ffs... i wasn't talking about now with regards to tanking or even playing current game. I'd even said that in my OP... I couldn't tell you what raiding is like in today's game. I haven't raided since i returned 6 years ago. I play for nostalgia, and to help guildmates level their characters so they can raid. My character has been L109 almost four years, and it'll probably take me four more years to get to 110... if ever. The game has lost its luster with regards to raiding, as well as the new content in general. New content is just old content rehashed with a different coat of paint. Heck, in some places you can even see the old paint showing through. I love the game, and will keep playing it until the servers are finally shuttered. I think that'd be what i would do were i to win some $100+million lottery, invest several million into a design team at DBG to work on updating the graphics to a more modern look. Leave the rest of the game intact... change nothing else. give it an updated look to see if that would rekindle interest in it. Let players have the option of Classic or New style. If it failed, at least it was worth the shot. That's love of the game

If you're out there, I miss our talks Starreyes. SK4Life!
  12. Szilent Augur

mmm. tell us more about your clear memories of early EQ.
    Tucoh likes this.
  13. josh Augur

One thing I'll add to the aggro discussion is you can get to the "way too high" aggro amount quickly by taunting off of a rogue pet. Just adding them to the list of aggro related things that are real screwy
  14. Disapointed Lorekeeper

I have yet to be able to get this to fire by spamming taunt on a mob I already had agro on. However i keep hearing this garbage logic, that it benefits warriors to SPAM SPAM SPAM.
  15. Wulfhere Augur

Making mistakes in your opening statement doesn't help your story.

Like I said, the hybrid tanks were all contenders because they each had a level 9 spell that generated a lot of hate per cast. In terms of mechanics, the rangers had the overall advantage for the top spot, but most of them didn't try that hard to tank. All three spells applied similar amounts of hate but rangers' had the shortest recast time.

Ranger - Flame Lick - 12 mana, 1.5s recast means they could overwhelm others
    Paladin - Flash of Light - 12 mana, 3.0s recast means they could overwhelm SK
    Shadowknight - Disease Cloud - 10 mana, 6.0s recast means they were in 3rd place
    Warrior - <nothing> - waiting to use /taunt again

During that era, I (a paladin) had no trouble taking and keep aggro from SK and even rangers (who were one-casting Flame Lick and Snare for the debuffs). SK could spam Disease Cloud on cool down but I was getting in 2 casts of Flash of Light to their 1 cast of Disease Cloud. A well played paladin wins that race (a bad one is afraid to even cast FoL).

A well played SK would weave Siphon Strength (Level 9) in between Disease Cloud to compete for the top of hatelist, something you fail to mention. A ranger could weave in Snare (Level 9) but did not need to. A paladin would weave in Minor Heal (and Courage) for beneficial/heal hate. The main mechanical limitation for the hybrid tanks was mana, not a lack of equivalent threat generating spells.
  16. p2aa Augur

You should check again. It took me one minute to chain taunt on a combat dummy, and to count 5 messages "Combat Dummy looks very angry" of 25 successful taunts messages. This message appears when you have landed a sneering grin proc. That makes, on a short sample, a rate of 20 %, which is not bad.
  17. Tucoh Augur

Meanwhile, in 1999 a well played warrior would be hitting their hate generation ceiling by auto attacking while watching xfiles and friends or whatever and hitting bash/slam/kick every commerical break.
    Syylke_EMarr and Wulfhere like this.
  18. Disapointed Lorekeeper

That's awesome, maybe you should try a target that can have an actual target.
  19. Wulfhere Augur

I have to like that post just because it's so funny sadly!
  20. shiftie Augur

My roommate in college introduced me to the game in 99. He explained the classes to me and he was currently playing a warrior. When he described sk and paladin and compared to a warrior I was like so I can do what you do and use spells and he was like yeah… I couldn’t fathom not using spells. The first 9 levels taught me everything I ever needed to know about not wanting to play a pure melee. Even with all of the advancements to melee classes over the years my inability to cast root or other things in the toolbox has always felt lackluster.
    Laronk and Fenthen like this.