It's Time to Replace Missions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Newb Tank, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Randomized Augur

What's the average time for a mission that's not just being blown up by ignoring mechanics from just going over the top with DPS? 20-30 minutes?

It's all about time management. If you can't set aside 30 minutes for uninterrupted game play, then don't start a mission. If you can't set aside the time to do the content that offers better rewards, then you should not get those better rewards. This would be equivalent to me complaining that I should get raid gear from solo quests.

Difficulty and gear come in many different tiers that offer many different play styles. You're properly rewarded for your efforts. Or the success of your efforts at the very least.

Now what they could do is a quest line(s) that could reward currency at a reduced amount. So that way those who do do the missions can gear out and be done in the first 2-3 months with them while those who chose to do the quest route get it around the 5-6 month mark. Basically keeping the quest 1 full tier behind those able/wanting to do the missions.
  2. Tappin Augur

So basically, you’re telling people not logon/quit if you can’t manage more than an hour play session. What you are forgetting, is that it takes time to get a group and organize a mission. Now, I don’t think it’s a big deal if they lock stat augs behind missions, but it’s another thing entirely when the start locking things exp behind them.

People just want to log on for an hour or so, and make some sort of meaningful progression on whatever by the end of the week.
  3. Randomized Augur

I'm telling people to manage their time better. An hour is more than plenty to get a group together and get a mission knocked out.

I'm not saying you need to be able to sit down and play for 4 hours uninterrupted to be able to access missions. But if you're the kind of person that needs to AFK every 10 minutes for 10 minutes...well, missions are not for you.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I know Norrath is a fantasy land, but let’s step back into reality here.
  5. Randomized Augur

Guess it depends on which part you're considering fantasy

1) that it's possible to complete a mission within an hour of logging in
    2) asking/expecting people to be able to manage their time
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

1) If you box, no problem.
    2) If, you expect people to treat EQ like a lifestyle then you’re expecting too much.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Randomized Augur

1) may be a server issue - Xegony and BB doesn't have much of a problem filling groups for missions
    2) I don't expect anything from anyone in this game lol, but their entitlement game is strong

It's just that when people say things like:

There's solo progression
    There's group progression
    And then there's guild progression

This game was founded on grouping and communities. It's not a bad thing for them to hold onto that and require some form of grouping in the game for certain aspects of content. Not everything needs to be accessible via solo play
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Randomized likes this.
  9. Randomized Augur

Fair enough, I'll concede that point.

But is managing time really a life style? Does this not come second nature to people? You don't go to the bar when you've got to be to work in 17 minutes (unless you work at the bar lol)
  10. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Look at the realities, people immediately bailed for easier grouping games and the remaining population added box accounts to have ready made groups.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Missions are a part of the game, some enjoy them some don't, catering for 1 type of play style is bad.

On the subject of time. Playtimes vary but realistically your not going to get much out of a play session unless you can play for at least 45 minutes - an hour. Lesson lasts 30 minutes, spawntimes are usually 20 - 30 minutes.

Sometimes you can log in and get a group straight away other days it can take a while. Preplaning groups, if you are able, is always the best way to go. I have 4 friends I group with same time every day, we grab a healer for 6th spot or use a merc if none availabe. If one of us can't play we pick up and extra person. Some work out and we invite them again next time we have a free spot, some don't work out and we don't invite them again.

EQ is all about making friends to get things done.
    Ozon likes this.
  12. Rage Lorekeeper

The problem is EQ doesn't have missions anymore, it has raid mobs that get tuned down to group versions which you have to kill and they label that a 'mission'. They should bring back missions like they had in the 85-100 expansions that actually had multiple steps to them and felt like you were doing something tied into the lore of the expansion. It would make them easier to balance too.

But that would require them putting more than the bare minimum dev time into making the missions.
  13. Jennre Band Leader

I am confident we will see more like that now that there are more devs on this game. Not this expansion, but moving forward it is possible.
  14. Tucoh Augur

As a non-raider, I like that the missions match the raids. I like being able to "defeat" an expansion in terms of lore. In previous EQ or other MMOs, doing group progression that ends in "OK defeat the big bad in this raid now" is dissatisfying. It's like being a kid who watches wrestling and can't get their parents to buy Wrestlemania.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Missions should stay. They should match the raids.

Throwing in some raids that have no group counterpart is also a fun way to expand on the game.
  16. Jennre Band Leader

Darkness howls was pretty good for making reasonable gains for more casu.... oh wait
    Dragnath, Marton, Raccoo and 2 others like this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

AKA - build a clique

Which I think is fine

I just miss the pick up scene because one of the things i used to love was meeting & playing alongside people I had not met, grouped with or chatted to while playing before.
    I love that new people vibe like some love the "new car smell".
    And being honest I have avoided getting into a clique so much because I was mostly an officer and had so much grief & earache about past "officer groups" from rank & file members it soured my enjoyment, and made me somehwat aversive of a regular group, at my own detriment, at least playing in pick up groups I had the excuse I was "working on recruitment" and got left alone by that BS.
    Also my track record with cliques was generally never good, there was almost always somebody that the clique would drop me for the very second they showed up even if they hadn't even played for months, so I always felt like an outsider / 7th wheel, just the way it goes.