When developers get it wrong...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

A similar language rule applies for making a hard vowel, like U being OO and not UH sound, that the following consonant is backed by another vowel. Like the E in Ice, As the C in Luclin is backed by a consonant, it forces a passive U (uh) sound and a hard C (k)

Bucking (and other similarly spelled words /grin) are consistent with these rules.

It's never booking or boosing, it's buckin'
    Wdor, Coagagin and Elyssanda like this.
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

Oh, next thing you know you will be pulling out sentence diagrams on us! (for those of us old to know what those are)
    Shindius and Elyssanda like this.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Ghirardelli and Karmen-Ghia like this post.

(The H is there to make the G hard)

Gear-ar-del-ee, not Jeer-ar-del-ee

I may not have any diagrams, but know a properly placed consonant can make a G hard.
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

google

8oo10cdc

Countdown and it's spin off 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, are UK panel shows where contestants do word and math games.

Total word geek noms.

RIP Sean Lock
  5. Grove Augur

The root words go both ways:

lucent (adj.)
    mid-15c., "shining, bright, luminous," from Latin lucentem (nominative lucens), present participle of lucere "to shine, glow, be bright," from PIE root *leuk- "light, brightness." Meaning "translucent, clear" is from 1820. Related: Lucently.

*leuk-
    Proto-Indo-European root meaning "light, brightness."

It forms all or part of: allumette; elucidate; illumination; illustration; lea; leukemia; leuko-; light (n.) "brightness, radiant energy;" lightning; limn; link (n.2) "torch of pitch, tow, etc.;" lucent; lucid; Lucifer; luciferase; luciferous; lucifugous; lucubrate; lucubration; luculent; lumen; Luminal; luminary; luminate; luminescence; luminous; luna; lunacy; lunar; Lunarian; lunate; lunation; lunatic; lune; lunette; luni-; luster; lustrum; lux; pellucid; sublunary; translucent.

It is the hypothetical source of/evidence for its existence is provided by: Sanskrit rocate "shines;" Armenian lois "light," lusin "moon;" Greek leukos "bright, shining, white;" Latin lucere "to shine," lux "light," lucidus "clear;" Old Church Slavonic luci "light;" Lithuanian laukas "pale;" Welsh llug "gleam, glimmer;" Old Irish loche "lightning," luchair "brightness;" Hittite lukezi "is bright;" Old English leht, leoht "light, daylight; spiritual illumination," German Licht, Gothic liuhaþ "light."
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

lucent; lucid; Lucifer; luciferase; luciferous; lucifugous; lucubrate; lucubration; luculent; lumen; Luminal; luminary; luminate; luminescence; luminous; luna; lunacy; lunar; Lunarian; lunate; lunation; lunatic; lune; lunette; luni-; luster; lustrum; lux; pellucid; sublunary; translucent.

ALL follow the vowel / consonant / vowel pattern to produce the OO sound in the words.

You can list as many rhymes and derivitives as you like, a consonant followed by a consonant makes the preceding vowel flat.

/wanders off down the hallway singing Rolliing Stones

Just as every cop is a criminal
    And all the sinners saints
    As heads is tails
    Just call me LucK-ifer
    'Cause I'm in need of some restraint...
  7. Absor Developer

BANTHEMALLBANBANBAN!!!!!

A
    Wdor, Coagagin, Skuz and 9 others like this.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

I accept that the official pronunciation is "luck-lin". However, I am an old dog and am unable to learn new tricks. It'll always be "loose-lin" to me.
  9. Stymie Pendragon

Darth Vader has entered the chat..
    (and slowly backs out)
  10. Rainlover Augur

but it is Luck-lin!
    Luck-lin, Luck-lin, Luck-lin, Luck-lin, Luck-lin, Luck-lin, Luck-lin, Luck-lin, Luck-lin!
    Fenthen and Skuz like this.
  11. Elskidor Augur

loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin loose-lin!
    Celephane and Raccoo like this.
  12. Rainlover Augur

lol, i considered doing it a 100 times but was afraid that would get me in trouble...

if we can't agree on how to pronounce the luclin, how are we ever going to tackle the big issue like how to pronounce Doljonijiarnimorinar ?
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  13. Act of Valor The Newest Member

you pronounce it like you would "Bob"
  14. Randomized Augur

You know when your mind "knows" what the word is and what it means and represents, even though you can't pronounce it and struggle over it a few times. Eventually your mind sees the word, acknowledges it and understands it, but no longer attempts to pronounce it.

That way. lol
    Wdor and Elyssanda like this.
  15. Dharken Elder

Sorry, you can hit me with every diagram and argument you want. Its Loose-lin... The expansion where we got Lucid Shards.

We know devs get it wrong, and we cant blame them. Case and point the current patches in game. We just have to re-educate them and hope they recant their erroneous ways.
    Raccoo likes this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

One of my favorite shows. I've watched a bunch of them on Youtube. I was sad when I heard about Sean. He was enjoyable to watch, as is Rachel Riley.
    Cicelee likes this.
  17. Thugrak New Member

Nah, those are easy...

Nuh-TIM-bi
    Kin-NI-mi
    Buh-RIN-du
    Fer-OO-bee
    Vex-id
    Tipped
    Yixx-tuh
    KOD-tazz
    ICK-kinz
    OOH-kwuh
    Q-vick
    Inktoo-TAH
    Tex-evoo (eevoo? evu? ?)
    Tack-vee

and damn the consequences, it's LukeLynn. Accept no substitutes.
    Wdor, Ssdar, Szilent and 1 other person like this.
  18. Thugrak New Member

Dole-Johnny-Gee-Arnie-Mor-ih-nar
  19. Shindius Journeyman

Good old I Love Lucky has some splainin to do!
  20. Jennre Band Leader

Why ban the mall?