Enchanter + Necro? Whats your thoughts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Oct 18, 2021.

1. hein Augur

How well do you think this box would work? What mercs would you use? Do you think this is a box that could go all the way through to max level and the new expansion without being super reliant on gear? What would be the strategy, would the Necro pet tank ?

thanks for thoughts!
  2. Lyyr Lorekeeper

Pick literally anything besides an enchanter to pair with a necro.
    Deux, Enigma Maitreya and Dragnath like this.
  3. Randomized Augur

I'm usually all for off the wall combos, but I'd have to agree with Lyyr....pick something else lol. The Enchanter class is a great box toon (i've used it before and loved it), but for it to really shine, it has to be the focus. But to optimize a Necro (kiting), that has to be the focus, and then you have to worry about the Enchanter having to be moved or mowed down.

Bard + Necro if you're wanting something similar
  4. Tyreel Augur

Enchanter + Necro used to be a greatly underrated combo but the last few pet nerfs destroyed it. You end up spending way too much time managing the pet or trying to avoid killing the enchanter while kiting.
    I ran Enchanter and Necro for 7 years~ but now my Necro sits abandoned at Level 111.
  5. aozs Augur

They don't synergize well and will likely have a very difficult time tackling the harder group content (missions, certain quests, etc).

Can they get to max level without much gear? Yeah, but a necro alone can do that pretty easily, so that's not saying much.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Top boxes with a necro: sk, brd, nec, shm, dru

Other than the druid, those are also the four strongest classes right now in general. I'd recommend the bard just because it's so strong with little effort, provides so much mana regen to the mana expensive necro, has track and would boost whatever you end up grouping with.
  7. zleski Augur

Hi, I play an enchanter and necromancer (not at the same time) and this is like peanuts and gum. Don't do it.
    Deux, Jhinx, Zaray and 1 other person like this.
  8. Szilent Augur

Twin aura & IoG are kiiiinda laser eye beamey...
    Chaosflux likes this.
  9. Dragnath Elder

Agree with everyone above, I main an Enchanter and would not recommend that combo.

I haven't played a Necro in a decade, but Necro/Druid used to be a good combo. I would assume it still is as the druid has ADPS with Group Spirit of the Great Wolf and Icerend Aura. Also you have fire debuffs which would benefit a good chunk of the Necro's Dots (again I haven't played a Necro in a long time so maybe fire isn't what it used to be). Plus you have healing and the general utility of the druid for evac, ports, DPS.

If you want to main an Enchanter instead there is a lot of good options there as well.
    Tucoh likes this.
  10. Chaosflux Augur

Enchanter is a far better partner than a druid for a necro, twin cast aura, iog, amp aura/MR, dicho add far more than Seasons Wrath and Icerend

And both classes are pretty much able to get where ever the hell they want, as opposed to having to drag and rez the druid.

Druids dps is better, chanter offers alot more situational control and versatility for doing quests and just getting around.

Bard is easier than either of those, but idk maybe they want to mix it up.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Acceptable but not optimal.

WAR and CLR, CLR and WIZ, CLR and CLR or WIZ and WIZ. Note WIZ mercs are the worst of the mercs atm. I am an ENC so a lot of synergy and my ROG merc out DPS's my WIZ merc x2-x3. As a 3-box ENC, MAG, CLR I often use a CLR merc on T2 zones because of how quick things can go bad with a mage pet tank or or merc tank.

Yes, but you will need help on T2 named and missions, as most all boxes would. For instance, my ENC / CLR combo did all of EoK progression during ROS almost by myself (no mage yet), but I needed help on a few missions and in RoS I could camp the PHs but I needed guild help to take down the named that held the key pieces. My issue is DPS, so your ENC / NEC might out perform my ENC / CLR.

I never had great gear until now. Casters can fudge gear by taking med breaks and hiding behind big tanks. Merc tanks don't care about your gear and pet tanks only care about your enhanced minion earring.

A combination of kiting, charming or mercs depending on the situation.

It is important to recognize that necros are the Enchanters of the the undead. They can literally do everything we can do. Necros can fully replace enchanters in the ToV expansion. We have a few things like runes and AE mez/stun but really they necro can completely sub the ENC in undead areas. However, outside of the undead areas, NEC are pretty much just FD and kite. Undead areas are not abundant in many expansions.

Boxing a mage is easy and adds CoH. If you do ENC/NEC, I would suggest you consider also doing a free 3box. This adds a bit of extra DPS and an extra merc. If subbing 2 accounts, it may be best to sub the MAG and NEC and FTP the ENC.
  12. Lyyr Lorekeeper

A healer, any healer, offers more to a Necro than an Enchanter. IoG, twincast and other Enchanter goodies are nice but they are never going to be the deciding factor in being able to do something in group content. A real healer will make that difference.

I used to main an Enchanter and still maintain him at max lvl and max group gear because I enjoy the class, but the sad truth is all the situational control enchanters offer is just not powerful enough to justify bringing along for group content if other options are available. I benched my Enchanter back in EoK after getting him to max AA for that era, sadly he hasn't been missed, the only real value he has added to my box crew is enchanting metals for the t3 group gear.
    zleski likes this.
  13. Dragnath Elder

I agree with your point on the Enchanter/Necro combo, but what type of group content are you running that an Enchanter is dead weight? Pretty much all of the ToV missions require crowd control and slow unless you are over-geared.

Outside of missions an Enchanter is great at pulling to keep the killing nonstop. Obviously a Bard would swap out as well, but any full group makeup should have one or the other.
  14. zleski Augur

Tanks even with group gear are capable of tanking multiple current content mobs at once, so long as they and the rest of the supporting group doesn't suck.

Enchanters need to meditate which make them poor choices for pulling. Bards, monks, and even rogues do it better. Not to say that Enchanters can't, it's just that they're not the best.
  15. Lyyr Lorekeeper

All partisan/merc quests and all missions with group geared characters. If you have a non merc healer slow is nice, not necessary. Slow is so ubiquitous at this point in the game that with 6 slots in a group chances are high you have more than one character capable of slowing. If you have a non merc tank defensive discs are your CC.

Enchanters are not dead weight as they can still contribute moderate dps and good caster adps. Even if you have a real tank and healer the CC can be nice to have, it just isn't a necessity in group content.
  16. Enigma Maitreya Augur

The only Benefit I see here is to have the Chanter be passive. Put up the XP Aura and have a Healer Merc active, leaving the active Necro to have a pet out, and one of these (Wizard Merc, Tank Merc, Rogue Merc)

Druid, Shaman, Ranger would be a semi active 2nd box with the Necro.

Ranger gets a good bow and basically uses archery (quite passive), Healer Merc.

Druid / Shaman Tank or Mele Merc and the character heals and slows (Shaman). The Druid has the option of Porting you anywhere A Wizard could substitute here just be careful and do not let the Wizard gain Aggro.

A single tier 5 apprentice Healer Merc will +95% of the time will keep your 2 box pair safe. When you get level 40 then pump the Mercs AA into improved mele defense.
  17. Chaosflux Augur

Theres no current content I can think of that cannot be 2 boxed by the necro/chanter duo that could be by a necro and a healer box, including all hunter achieves, won't be able to do challengers but I can't think of a 2box team that can do them

So like maybe, but its not a necessity to have a healer.

If you ha e a tough time with a named you can weave flickers in, mental contortion, and before that wears off your necro has burned it to the ground
  18. Lyyr Lorekeeper

So the content you are referring to is just trash and named? If that's the case why bother with another account at all if you have a Necro? If you are wanting to make trash and named a smooth ride adding a real healer is definitely more ideal than an Enchanter. I have actually played Enc/Necro and it's just not worth the effort compared to other configurations.
  19. Vumad Cape Wearer

No class can out perform an ENC for pulling unless its immune to basically everything and needs to be FD split. Bards get the title because of Selo's and the amount they can spam FD. But from a complexity stand point ENC spell duration can out perform BRD on difficult splits in most situations. ENC is arguably the best puller in the game and the fact that people don't realize that just means most people are under utilizing their ENCs.

Given that you think a rogue is better you must just have a plate tank scooping up small trains. Given that the OP is boxing a Necro that kind of pulling is not going to work out for him. No class can out perform an ENC for pulling when paired with another caster.
    Dragnath likes this.
  20. Chaosflux Augur

You can do missions, you just aren't doing challenges, but neither is any other 2 box combo in current content