$$$ Suggestion - short duration exp potions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ionscout, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Ionscout Journeyman

Numerous times I've held off using a 4 hr potion (or buying more) because I didn't feel I was going to be on long enough, or PUG group didn't feel stable, etc. Further, I would typically have left over potion time that would burn away wasted the next day LFG etc.

I'd be more inclined to purchase multiple one hour potions. After all if I'm hesitant to use (buy) 4hr potions for fear of waste, then the company doesn't get $$.

Therefore, I believe others like myself would be more inclined to risk the purchase of 1hr potions on the gamble they will at least be on that long or little of them would be wasted.

Thank you for your consideration.
  2. Alnitak Augur

Let's do the math.
    In WW caves an average group clears 10-12 broodlings/caretakers per respawn (15 mins). That's 40-50 mobs per hour. Each mobs gives about 0.05% level exp for a lvl 114 toon (who still tries to level in there).
    that's 2-2.5 % of level exp. In 4 hrs that would be 8-10% (for 4 hrs of continuous non-stop kills with no breaks).
    Your 4 hr +50% experience potion would give you extra 4-5 % of the level exp.
    I propose to sell level boost lollypops for 1000 DBC , which simply gives +5% of level exp when consumed, with 4 hr lockout time.
    And for 200 DBC chewing gums with 1% of level experience reward and 1 hr lockout timer.

And viola ! We've arrived to the Pay-to-Win land !

(that was sarcasm, if anybody had a doubt of it)
  3. Kolaisa Elder

Why would anyone be grinding xp at levels above 110. Overseer, missions, quests, merc/partisan all give much better xp than plain grinding. If youre grinding for xp to level at that point youre doing it wrong.
  4. Angahran Augur

Would much rather get 8x30 minute xp potions than 1x4 hour potion.

Maybe add option as tradeskill ?
    Put 1x4 hour potion plus 8xEmpty Vials in alchemy pouch, hit combine and get out 8x30 minute potions.
    Ozon, Dre., Andarriel and 7 others like this.
  5. Beardsy Elder

The smart move would to be able to right click the buff and pause it whenever you want. Hell they may as well remove the ability to left click it by mistake too. I've done that a couple times :p

I went LFG 3x recently and the groups were goin great, hour in and they'd split. Happened 3x where I'd get 1 hour out of the 4 hour potion then I'd waste the rest going LFG again. They'd probably sell a hell of a lot more pots if people didn't feel like they'd end up wasting half of them.
    Andarriel and Wdor like this.
  6. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Do those not stop in POK/GL? That sucks.
  7. Kolaisa Elder

All buffs are put on hold in pok/GL including xp pots.
  8. Windance Augur

Some folks like to just hang out an grind XP.
    Wdor and Randomized like this.
  9. Beardsy Elder

Eh I shoulda specified, I'm playing on Mischief. Luclin wasn't out yet with Nexus/Baz to save buffs. Either way I think right clicking an exp pot to pause it is definitely something they COULD implement if they really wanted to. It may help bring incentive to more people buying them.
    Wdor likes this.
  10. Randomized Augur

The only one I could think of them doing this with is the "shared" potions. If you don't have a mercenary or another player in your group, it goes on hold.

Single/self use xp pots, even if you're out killing solo, you're still benefitting from it, so I don't see them changing that. Slippery slope.

If we can burn an xp pot and pause it while we trial and error until we find the best camp to grind xp at, you'll next see people asking to pause or rewind discs/aa's/abilities because "oh I didn't want to use it at that time".

You're still benefitting from the potion. Just because you're LFG doesn't mean you can't be out grinding while still LFG.
  11. Windance Augur

Wdor likes this.
  12. Qelil Augur

Naw, just need new perk tiers that rise in cost according to xp percent gains. It's less hassle. I do like the idea of buying levels or maybe instant power levels. Probably should sell progression flags too. It's a hassle playing this game. It would be so much easier to just buy myself a full set of levels, AA and best in slot raid gear/augs and be done with it. Well, be done after I do the same with all the alts.

After I have my fun beating EQ the smart way with any kind of luck I might have a few grand left to pay a lawyer for my chapter 7 bankruptcy because EverQuest ruined my life.
  13. MageGuy MageGuy

I'm a grind fan and have been since grind was a thing. I'd rather grind than do any of the other things you had listed. I don't feel I'm doing it wrong by grinding. In my mind, I'm doing it right and having fun while doing so.
    Dre., Wdor and Qelil like this.
  14. Tucoh Augur

They should sell "Vitality" potions instead.

Problem with XP potions is they are more valuable in terms of effect to highly capable players who don't really need XP than they are to less capable players who desperately need it. Something that just chunked out a full AAXP bar worth of vitality would be huge for a solo up and coming player while not being that meaningful for a guy trying to bring in a new character in their box team.
    Dre. and Tatanka like this.
  15. Alnitak Augur

The math is a bit off. "a full AAXP bar worth of vitality", if you actually meant AA-bar not level bar, is worth about 200 AA. Not really "huge" amount, about 2 hours or so grind.

And if you meant "a full XP bar worth of vitality" then it's worth about 5 levels of experience, a mega-deal at high end, meaningful to all kind of players, alts or mains.

What would a "Vitality" potion sell for if it gives +5 levels of experience?
  16. Qelil Augur

This might sound crazy but wouldn't fixing issues with the game's leveling and built in catch up mechanics be better than charging people more money for a game they already pay to play just to bypass playing it because it must be sucking for them if they want to at that point?

Think about it. Why would somebody want to pay money to move up faster? Because the game is too damned slow now to get to where grouping and raiding is. The solution to this problem is not to make potions and charge players to remove suckage. The solution is to fix the damned game.
    Dre. likes this.
  17. Rainlover Augur

I often thought an XP potion with a counter number on it would be nice (with a real log duration) so it fires say 100, or 400 times, but well less then most could do with the given duration.
  18. Nolrog Augur

I wish I could like this 100 times. I'd love to see the potions duration dropped to 30 minutes with 8 charges.
    Angahran and Tarvas like this.
  19. FranktheBank Augur

Sure. In an ideal world, the devs have time to basically balance the entire 1-110 game. They have demonstrated that they don't really have time for that.
  20. Qelil Augur

At least to 75 is in no need of any changes. It's a cakewalk molo no matter what class you play. It's beyond that which needs work and a complete rebalance of all zones certainly isn't necessary nor the only way to create a viable catchup path with xp gains that make it a reasonable endeavor for a returning player. As for what the developers have time for, that is in the hands of management who could invest a little more into what is for them a profitable game for the time being.