Mayong Mistmoor

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

No, they're vampyres.

There is no evidence of any of that. There are actually many creatures/species that claim to be the "first" or "oldest" living things on Norrath etc., Mayong is just one of many of those. In his case, there is actually plenty of circumstantial evidence he *isn't* as old as he claims, and that it was, as skuz mentioned, part of his plan to be worshipped and ascend to godhood.

Now as to his history:

He most likely started life as a Dark Elf, probably fairly early on in the Age of Monuments after the creation of the Dark Elves.

At some point he became a vampire, though precisely when or how is unknown. I assume it happened early on as otherwise he would likely be dead-dead rather than undead.

Castle Mistmoore is constructed likely at the latter end of the Age of Monuments, or the early Age of Blood, before the destruction of Takish-Hiz.

At some point he hatches a plan to achieve godhood by means of spreading his legend and the use of a cloister that steals others' power in the form of a spellbook known as Shadowspine.

As the Elder races' empires are all in decline, Mayong enters Darkhollow and starts building Dreadspire.

Mayong creates the Drachnids and convinces some of the Shadowmane clans to join him.

The Shiliskin Empire tries to drive Mayong out and stars a war, but both sides are evenly matched.

Mayong allows Shadowspine to be captured by the Shiliskin who use it as a last resort but are corrupted by it.

For the next several hundred / thousand years Mayong continues his quest for godhood. From time to time a Hero would emerge and attempt to put an end to him, but all failed and were enslaved by him. (Roley, Adrianna, Devlin Rochester, Tris Wallow III, the Performer and his troupe, etc.)

At some point he became involved with Tserrina Syl’Tor, even to the point of almost marrying her. However, when Tserrina presented him with the first Dracholich as a wedding present he left her at the alter fearing retribution from the gods if he were to be associated with the abomination.

Fast forward many years and Mayong, who has an especial hatred of dragons (for some reason), hatches a super-villain-level complicated plan to take revenge against them:

Mayong manipulates Venril Sathir into taking the Lifeguide he got from Danak Dhorentath to Tserrina, who was able to alter the crystal so that the owner could manipulate anyone's memories.

Venril takes the crystal from the Lifeguide and uses it to probe Trakanon's memories and locate the Nest, as well as discover the Brood Dawn is approaching.

Unknown to Venril, Mayong helps him in crafting a special curse that will destroy the dragons in the Nest with the power of Shadowspine.

Players eventually trigger the curse when they kill Yar'Lir which leads to Vishimtar being corrupted by Shadowspine.

Eventually players learn about Darkhollow and go to confront Mayong. However, the act of killing him is the final "worship" needed to trigger Mayong's ascension to godhood.

Not content with his power, Mayong corrupts Ayonae Ro and the Demi-plane of Music, turning it into the Theater of Blood.

Druzzil Ro beseeches players to help her daughter, and after gaining access to the Theater of Blood they bind Ayonae Ro within a ward so that Druzzil can help her.

Mayong invades the Plane of Sun and starts fighting to corrupt Solusek Ro. As a result, Ro, the star Norrath orbits, grows dim.

Players eventually find their way into the Plane of Sun and kill Mayong, which is the text quoted above by Bobbybick.

Some time later, after the events of Veil of Alaris, a mysterious person named Sam Napth is investigating rumors, one of which is a way to resurrect Mayong Mistmoore.

Sam tricks players into resurrecting Mayong, who aside from hinting that there is more to Sam than they realize, kicks the players out of his castle.

Mayong then heads to the Tower of Frozen Shadow to recover a large chunk of crystallized power from Cazic, and we kill him once more.

I believe that's most of the salient points.
    Svann2, Duder, Jennre and 4 others like this.
  2. Chaosflux Augur

Ok you are definitely more schooled on Lore than I am,

https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-51541

Where it says ageless am I too assume we are considering that unreliable narration? The part about being alive when the sleeper was laid to rest was from the Faydwer tabletop source book and a conversation with Valdoon in EQ2 so depending on how you feel about those sources as Canon yes I am wrong.

Though since EQ1 and EQ2 share a lore dev, I'd think him being a Ydal might play into the coming expansions if they at all talk about his back story, just because the material is there.
  3. CazRaX Elder

There, I simplified it for you :)
    TrueNorth likes this.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Unreliable narration is a hallmark of EQ lore, both in-game and out. It's actually part of what makes it much more interesting and 'real' than other games. Real history isn't just one concise, perfect version of events, it's a mix of many sources that often conflict with each other and are biased in some way.

If we're getting meta, some of it certainly is actually just different dev teams trying to massage the lore to make it fit their current story and/or not being fully aware of existing lore when they add on something new. But as mentioned above, this isn't necessarily a bad thing though sometimes it makes more of a mess of things that it should (see Omens lore).

As an example: Mayong being behind Venril Sathir and the whole thing with the Nest is almost certainly a retcon. There is no hint of Mayong in any Dragons of Norrath lore I know of, and it isn't until DoD that we get evidence of it and Mayong basically brags about it.

All we know for sure is that there is a Fragment of Vishimtar inside Shadowspine, which we actually enter into during DoD. While inside an unseen voice (Mayong) is taunting us:

Now that one line doesn't necessarily mean Mayong was behind Venril's *entire* plan, he could have only been involved in the curse part, but then there is the whole Tserrina part and I feel it actually makes more sense for him to have been involved secretly from the beginning, leading an unwitting Venril.

As far as EQ vs EQ2 lore, there are definite differences between them to the point you can't take anything from EQ2 at face value for EQ1 and vice versa. Lore-wise the explanation for the two universes is that the events of the Planes of Power split the timeline and from that point on there was a divergence. However, this by itself doesn't explain why events prior to PoP would be different, and many of them are.

The best explanation is to think of the events in PoP as a rock thrown into a pond. Changes in the timeline being ripples that expanded in all directions, even backwards in time, causing changes.
    Jennre and Skuz like this.
  5. Syylke_EMarr Augur

So when do we find out that Mayong was behind ToV/CoV and the restless ice after stealing this crystallized power? :p
  6. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Will we see Simon Belmont hunt for Mayong in ToL?
  7. Tagalong New Member

Hmm, I wonder how well, an - Everquest the Lore - book would sell. May or may not do well, but, could be enlightening to current and former players.
  8. Jennre Band Leader

I'd prolly buy it
  9. jeskola pheerie

E M U lore is fan fiction. Props but doesnt apply
  10. Khoza Augur

I'd rather see a collection. Given the previously made point that EQs lore is unreliable and subject to the authors needs, I'd like to see something like:

Volume 1: The Gods
    Info about the gods, creation, and events up to and including the creation of the playable races. (Not Drakkin, they come too late in the timeline.) This is true lore. Everything after, however...

Volume 2: The Claws of Veeshan
    Volume 3: The Combine
    Volume 4: The Shissar
    Volume 5: The Iksar Empire
    Volume 6: Modern Humans
    etc

Where each volume after #1 is made up of information from the given faction. This way, you get the entire experience, conflicting dates and motives in tact, and can point to the source of each questionable item. This allows a collection of in-game and out of game info, without actually citing any of it as absolutely correct or incorrect. Let the debating continue!
  11. Chaosflux Augur

Right, but my post was 2 separate parts 1) being lore as I understood it and 2) being what I did in a campaign we had, I wasnt conflating that as lore Canon to the game
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Rather than that I'd prefer something more in tune with Beimeth's scattered/shattered/not always in agreement type history with all the complexity and contradictions is brings.

Such as a work with multiple entries from many different sources pieced together on a singular timeline.

Kind of like the history of norrath as told by all of it's historical sources with approximate dates for when the source was created/written.

I know the Coterie Vampyres are not cannonically linked to Mayong but to me if Vampirism has a source then that should be the place all of it comes from, logically speaking, and I think it makes things a lot more interesting if Mayong HAD been to Luclin in some long-forgotten past expedition there and given rise to the Coterie - or had maybe been captured by the Akhevan Empire and been experiemented upon until he could escape and the Coterie arose as a result of those experiments.
  13. Jennre Band Leader

Would be cool if Mayong was an open world raid, like the sleeper was, and all Vampire mobs died once he was slain (either permanently or until he can repop).
  14. Riou EQResource

The expansion does start with Mayong wanting to investigate the Akhevans or Luclin and imply that Luclin treated Mayong poorly long, long ago

And the Shade that asks for your help wants you to help Mayong against Luclin as well otherwise some bad omens will happen (insert potential lies to return him to Godhood or something here)
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Cool.

Be fun to find out Luclin maybe had a big hand in Mayong becoming the first Vampire and his deep seated desire for God-hood was somehow rooted in the horrors he was subjected to and never wanting to be weak enough to be a plaything of a deity ever again, to match their power or maybe even to rise above them somehow.
  16. jeskola pheerie

At the end, Mayong turns good and takes off his helmet.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Well, it isn't quite what you are asking for, and it isn't canon (though I've tried my best to stick with reliable sources and interpretations that make sense), but I try to never to miss a chance to plug my history

Funnily enough, I was planning to make a second lore guide coving all the gods separately, I just never got around to it. Maybe I will try again.
    Clawgrip likes this.