What's with the lag on FV?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bumblebore, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Bumblebore New Member

In plain terms, what is wrong with your game, are you incapable of providing the correct bandwidth for the servers to operate? I play toons on a few servers and FV is by far the worst server I play on. It is very overcrowded and it's laggy on the best days. During this bonus xp time it's doubly so. My question again is are you inept? because you appear to be. I think other people think this as well but we'll see if you let me post this. I'm sure others have posted this question in the past but are you going to answer the question? Are you capable of providing a lag free environment for us to play in or are you going to continue to run the game like a piece of garbage? We the player base do NOT appreciate being treated like this. Just because EQ is an old game doesn't mean we don't expect it to run properly. The ball is in your incapable hands.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  2. Equable_Bertox New Member

Wow, given that attitude I am sure they will form a line for the opportunity to answer you.
  3. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I'm on FV and it seems fine to me.
  4. Randomized Augur

If they're so inept, why don't you create a game that does better?

Don't worry, i'll wait.
  5. Malpheroth Elder

Let’s be honest: The lag on FV is so bad that entire raid events can be bypassed by popping normal burns and lagging the server out so badly that the bosses can’t do emotes. The lag on FV is so bad, it takes 3 seconds for a debuff you cast (like Mez) to land on the mob. The lag is so bad you have to click a combat discipline 20-200 times before it activates. The lag on FV is so bad it actually takes less time to log in from character select than to go from one zone to another in the game. The lag is so bad that you can run through zones without invis and the mobs won’t even notice you. I’m pretty sure that there are EQ gamers that have spent more money on their pc than daybreak spent on the server. One time recently I lagged so badly that my mercenary just blatantly stopped healing. Sometimes with how buggy this game is it can be difficult to tell if it is lag or just a bug but I’m sure lag has a lot to do with it.

I would say that in order of priority the lag being fixed is second on my list only after fixing this boxing/automation problem, and is followed closely by fixing the bugs and janky user interface and unintuitive user commands. Then 6 zones per expansion that people beat in 2 weeks needs to be looked at.
  6. Chorus Augur

You know that's not an argument right? It does show what type of person you are however. Please people, stop doing this. It only makes you look bad.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  7. nitrocutter Journeyman

You must have a really bad pc and internet connection because that is NOT what I am experiencing on FV. Consider that the problem may be YOU and not the game.
  8. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I have gigabit speed internet and experience lots of lag on FV. It's only in the US evenings when the most people are online.

Tells take 30+ seconds to go through. Zoning takes a minute longer than it should. Etc.
  9. Tucoh Augur

It's not sparse content or bugs that will kill EQ: it's the lag. The EQ playerbase, both live and TLP, is pretty much fine with regurgitated content, because we love the game so much. But when the game is no longer fun because everything is lagged, we'll find something else to do.

From what I've heard from "inside sources", the problem isn't even some programmatic bottleneck deep inside the bowels of the EQ codebase that nobody understands and everyone is too afraid to touch: it's miserly spending on server hosting.
  10. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Anakin: The new perks are bringing in lots of money to the game.

Padme: Surely they will use the extra money from perks to upgrade the servers?

Anakin: Smirks.

Padme: Right?
    Tucoh likes this.
  11. Kolaisa Elder

Try updating your video card drivers. When I need to update the game gets very laggy then after the update its no longer laggy.
  12. MiataDriver Augur

It's not just FV, it is an intermittent problem even with great connections, experienced by whole raids, not just individual people. Everything is fully updated on my computer, graphics card is on the older side because, well, it's practically impossible to get a new one unless I am willing to pay more for a graphics card than for an entire computer. The point is that it is happening to everyone in the raid though, regardless of the quality of their computer/connection. Yes, there are individuals who experience lag issues on their own that is a result of their computer and/or connection as well.
  13. Kolaisa Elder

I wasn't talking about raid lag, that's a whole different thing. I know lag happens to everyone sometimes, but what the OP was talking about, updating video drivers might help.

Raid lag, how do I say this, DBC doesn't want people to quit over lag, no company does, but has anyone stopped to think about the root cause of it? I won't even venture a guess because Im not qualified to know, but it might not even be related to this expac. It might be a specific set of circumstances that only happen with raids, we don't know for sure. There are so many possibilities of what it could be, its mind blowing. We don't know what timers are in use, where they pull the data for the fight from or anything else. All we know for sure is we get lag during a raid. I know DBC wants to fix any problems with their product, just like every company. Give them a break with all the rants about it and give them time to get to the root cause of it. I'm sure they are trying various different things, let players try the raids again. Rinse and repeat until they find something that works.

I know people are fed up with the lack of a fix, but nobody said it was one line of code to rewrite to fix it. I also know many people are fed up with the devs in general, but they will never make everyone happy with whatever they do or don't do.
  14. Randomized Augur

I understand it's not a good argument, but neither is being entitled and demanding of things that you don't know if it's capable to pull off or not, and clearly have no clue on how to do it yourself. Throwing a tempter tantrum and calling a company inept is not the correct way to go about this. Was my response a bit childish? Sure. Do I regret it? Nah, fight fire with fire /wink because clearly, if they're so inept, he must be above them and can do a better job.
    Tatanka likes this.
  15. dwish Augur

I couldn’t help but laugh at this. Most of this is spot on when it comes to playing on FV during peak hours. Especially not having to invis to run past mobs because they won’t even see you anyways! LOL
    Stymie likes this.