Why do Hunter?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Izzard of Bertox, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Elyssanda Bardbrain

these are the reasons why I am sitting in SSRA today .. helping some non-raider friends with Luclin.. everyone's in a different place killing.. so far I've had the kitty mask drop twice off of the assassin, and the lockpick gloves twice.. the gloves are tradeable, so I stuck 1 set in my shared slots for my new baby rogue.. Kat got a new kitty mask, and so did one of my guildees..
    Yinla and Froglok like this.
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Bragging rights for Hunters went out the window when they changed them to allow you to sit in a raid, afk, in another zone, and get credit.

Do them for bags or because you find it fun, or else don't. People like different things and not everything has to cater to anyone's individual likes or dislikes.
    adetia, Tucoh, Nennius and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gnomereaper Augur

Tharkis one day stood in the Plane of Knowledge, cried forth a mighty meow that echoed through the planes and immediately acquired all the Planes of Power Hunters Achievements. Such is the power of the Pretty Kitty Princess.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I do for something to do that about it really. Norrathian Slayer achievement is a real pain and theres no reward. I would never do these again /rude sk/nk and jaggedpine forest!

Andarriel
  5. Gnomereaper Augur

When I saw that the bags weren't Gucci, I gave up.

I wouldn't mind if we had a Bounty Hunter system, where the nameds dropped an item to get credit. That and overseer functionality. There's just some old school stuff that requires too much time spent for too little gains.
    Ozon likes this.
  6. Conq Augur

Certifiable.
    Conq
    cygnet likes this.
  7. Poyzen Frawg Augur

I'm stuck on Floe. My account expired and I'm not spending another dime on EQ until this MOB dies.
  8. Stephen51 Augur

Now if they made the achievement points into a palpable reward........
    disclose likes this.
  9. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I conquered old Kunark and tattooed my name on VS's forehead...where's my special title? I WANT TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER STAT!!#!$@#
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I wish they would make a aug that is for all hunter mobs the more you kill the higher the stats go and would go for every hunter in the game. Kinda like a Master of Hunter aug!

Andarriel
    Tatanka, Tucoh and demi like this.
  11. Izzard of Bertox Augur

I'm still in Sverag. Got 30 of 46 MOBs down. The biggest challenge is beating the opposing forces MOBs to the kill. There are 5 spawn points that ALL 46 named MOBs spawn in. That means you will be killing each named multiple times, except the last one, before you complete this.

I highly recommend using a full group and just sit a toon at each spot and wait... a long, long, long time.

Edit: Challenge is not the right word. There is nothing challenging about killing MOBs half your level. Frustration (although self-imposed) is more accurate. The usual scenario is; you leave to check another spawn point and while you are gone, the named you were camping for the last month spawns and the 5 enemy MOBs surrounding it who also spawn, kill it before you return.
  12. Trebla7th Augur

As someone who returned to the game for Aradune server (my first and only TLP) after quitting live sometime around House of Thule expansion, the hunter achievements gave me incentive to hunt in "out of the way" places that I normally wouldn't have experienced. I've checked out zones that were sub-optimal in terms of experience, loot, and even ease of getting to...

Sure, I could have done all this without the carrot of completing hunter achievements, but it was just enough to push me over the edge and make me explore. And honestly, I've discovered some very underrated zones in the process that I otherwise would have had no reason to visit.
    Elyssanda and CatsPaws like this.
  13. disclose Buffz, slowz, & healz.

I'll be completely honest with you about hunter achievements, especially older ones....they're about revenge. It's about going into that old zone and saying "Hey @sshat, remember June 18, 2002? When you continually wiped me and my group causing me to lose weeks and months of progress? WELL HERE I AM LEVEL 115 MAW FAWKA! GLHF!" Then lambasting that mob in one hit and feeling like you can finally have peace all these years later. You will obtain that old gear you wanted 19 years prior. You will look at the stats and laugh until tears. Then you will throne back to guild lobby, port into the hall, and tribute that sweet little nugget for 800 tribute(if you're lucky!)

Oh....just me...okay.
    Deux, Winnowyl and Elyssanda like this.
  14. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Not just you dear, I still go to Crushbone and kill Crush, D'Vinn and Retlon Brenclog just because they made my growing up life as a wood elf hell. Retlon is an insta-resapwn BTW.. I stood and killed him for an hour one day.. just because I could..
    Winnowyl, Eaedyilye and disclose like this.
  15. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

I mean, some say why do them, I say, why wouldn’t you do them, lol… that’s the beauty of the nature of eq. Different strokes for different folks. Checkmarks anonymous!
    disclose likes this.
  16. Transporter Lorekeeper

Pretty sure because achievements weren't in game back then and players had no way to "check off this that and the other" Gives your gameplay some focus other than just roaming around randomly killing stuff. We'll forever have over thinkers and foremost authorities on everything/nothing, let them keep speculating.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Some rewards from Hunter are worth it to me. But mostly, I do it because it is an achievement in the sense of having accomplished something. It is also relaxing in a way for me.
  18. disclose Buffz, slowz, & healz.

True, but that last sentence hit me in the feels hard. haha.
    adetia likes this.
  19. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

The one I hated the most was the goons from the Overthere. Once in awhile I'll pay a visit and slaughter them. I had a big pile of about 30 General V`Deers bodies in a heap one day. I said, "how does it feel big guy?"

I didn't accomplish anything, but man, it made me feel good killing the General and his goon minions. Revenge is sweet. BTW they tried to get revenge in RoS. But they all died in a smoldering fire of death.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. quakedragon Augur

Surprised no one mentioned bigger bags.

Im guessing yall loaded with 50 slot bags. So more ways to get bags is forgotten