Type 18/19 Defense Augs

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Lubianx, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Lubianx Augur

I have had 2 different answers to this so I thought I would ask here.

Does the AC softcap increase effect stack with the following augs?
    • Whispering Midnight Defender (5%)
    • Blazing Euphoria Defender (7%)
    • Rallos Zek Devotee's Defense (8%)
    • Rallos Zek Acolyte's Defense (6%).
  2. Szilent Augur

yes.
    PCSS and Tucoh like this.
  3. Cven Journeyman

What about the frontal mitigation ones? do they stack?

Ventral Defense series augs.

Curious what combination of 18/19 augs tanks are using.
    PCSS likes this.
  4. Szilent Augur

that does not.

I'm using:
    4x Enhancement
    4x Fortification(TBL ones were called "Dire")
    4x Attacker
    Ventral
    Soothing
    and a ham sandwich (Devotee's Assault or Stealth are fine for stats. I just have an Assaulting Magic in that ought to be an Assaulting Ice at least, but whaaaatever)
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Generally a percent will not stack, yet numbers will stack.

20+18 = 38

20% + 18% = 20%
  6. p2aa Augur

I'm using :
    4 x Enhancement augs
    2 x RZ Assault ones
    2 x RZ Stealth ones
    2 x RZ Fortification ones
    2 x TBL Dire ones
    2 x TBL Barea ones
    RZ Devotee Ventral Defense

I used to wear 3 of the Defender ones (as they stack as said), but given how AC has lost ground in today's content according to me (the impact on mob hits given by AC is less important than 10 years ago), even if it's some slightly better Softcap AC, I swapped them.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Bump! What augs are other tanks using going into the next expansion? How many of the 4 TBL chase items are you using?

Also, in TBL a solid group could clear raid trash and get the type 19 raid augs pretty easily. Anything like that exist for ToV type 19s????
  8. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Near impossible to say for tanks until we know what the base raid gear will be (I guess type 7 augs as well). Also paladins at least will have to swap boots for the ToL ones if the focus on the TBL chase boots is not bumped to 120 (probably).

ToV 19s are player made and the ore drops in ToV and CoV raid instances. Pretty easy to get and the ToV instances at least are simple for well CoV group geared tanks.
    Toukan and Tucoh like this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Thanks! What raid instance would you recommend for farming the ore?
  10. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

If you can handle CoV, I'd recommend WW (super rare to have more than 1 per pull in there unless you want more) or EW (the Defenders raid instance) because you could be gathering the CoV luck augs as well (assuming not maxed there).

For ToV, I personally liked GD (Restless Assault raid instance) with the wurm caves and outside Tizmak ... and if you feel up to it, the in tunnel Tizmaks. There are a lot of mobs in there. I liked ToFS raid instance as well (if you don't start the first raid, you can clear 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th floors at least ... I forget if 7th has mobs).
    Tucoh likes this.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

Also, knights tend to use Two-Handed Proficiency AA stance that suppresses SPA 259 Combat Stability effects so these augs (e.g. Blazing Euphoria Defender) are often useless to them.
    Chaosflux likes this.
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

As a grouper all I have in slot 19 is the TOV earring. My slots are definitely limited. I have acquired a few of these augs, one of them has a 7% accuracy mod and the other has a sympathetic casting proc.
    Would either of those two be worth using over my player made ones? You seem to lose a lot of ac and hp not to mention heroic stats going to these augs. I am sorry for not giving the names of them atm I am not able to get that info as I am at work.
    PCSS likes this.
  13. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

It's totally dependent on what you're doing in the game. If I'm raiding I'm swinging a 2 hander until such time as I start tanking... then it's back to sword/board and all the advantages provided by the defender augs are applicable again. That's assuming the suppression of SPA 259 plays out like you say it does.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  14. Wulfhere Augur

Lol ... do your homework and get back to us.
    PCSS, Silfh V'Ester and Chaosflux like this.
  15. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

No need. If I'm tanking on raids I'm actually trying to tank (with sword/board). If I'm doing dps on raids I'm actually swinging a 2 hander and don't expect to be hit (with 2-hander and 2-hander proficiency). If I'm grouping I'm running around with 2-hander out and 2-hander proficiency 100% of the time because YOLO. The SPA 259 negation only affects you if you under certain specific conditions that are easily avoidable.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  16. p2aa Augur

I'm actually using still 3 TBL chase items atm on this expansion, but this was a close call versus CoV TS raid gear for stats, even if I'm wearing atm only stats augs, 4 Enhancement ones, the 2 x high Hstr augs of this expansion, also the 2 high Hagi and Hdex augs of this expansion, and finally 2 Secret Dawn TBL ones HDex and HAgi, that makes 12 augs (as including the ToV Earring of Rallos Zek).

I'm pretty sure that raid gear of next expansion will beat the 3 TBL chase items I wear, though as you play group content, stats might be different. Basically if my TBL items did last 3 expansions (TBL, ToV and CoV), I think that the ToV earring will also last through the next expansion, we will see.

But as I say, group gear is not the same than raid gear, so I'm not sure what it will be next expansion group gear versus TBL chase items.
    Tucoh likes this.
  17. Cannikin Augur

Despite the technical effect description, defender augs (AC softcap) really just give you a fixed amount of AC because the softcap it calculates from is a fixed number. It really is no different from any other aug that gives straight AC, so they should be among the first to become totally obsolete with better base stats.

The same applies to the other stat augs, especially when you consider that the TBL items don't have type 7/8 slots, so you're already losing several augs to begin with. Enhancements are nice, but nothing that can't be made up with the new type 5s.

I'll probably be getting rid of my TBL boots and gloves if/when I can get a hold of ToL raid pieces. The remaining ring and earring (never bothered to get the shoulders) can handle the 6 type 18/19s I have which have special effects that can't be found elsewhere:

Devotee soothing
    Devotee ventral
    Acolyte dorsal (yes they work at the same time if they're not the same lore group)
    3x Attacker
  18. Szilent Augur

type5s are a red herring, evolvers can hold those also. it's base item + type18/19s vs base item +type8

I'm on the same plan pending further developments: keeping ear + 1 nonvis for Ventral + Soothing + 4 Attackers

Losing some hDex from Fortifications & Enhancements will be sad, but not-moving is pretty unsupportable against ToL raid items
    Tucoh likes this.
  19. Cadira Augur

Question: Does the Soothing aug's focus actually work? I heard awhile back that it was broken and didn't actually increase amount heals landed on you and never heard of it getting fixed.

...Though maybe I'm thinking of the aa: Improved Recovery...can't remember.
  20. Szilent Augur

Sincere Remedy Rk. III (with cle focuses removed for consistent numbers) lands on Szilent for 39612 non crit no-Soothing, 41196 with Soothing on
    Kaenneth, Cadira and Tucoh like this.