Housing suggestion - Armor displays

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vumad, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

I don't think they exist but I think they could be cool. I have 2 ideas.

One is a Shadowman. It is nameable whatever you want (ie. Torment of Velious) and will wear any visable armor you put on it. When inspected it, it shows an inspection just like a player, which also gives room to add era related text.

The second idea is a picture style board that looks similar to a magelo profile. When inspected it displays like a player inspection, which gives the ability to add a note. Same idea as the shadowman, but more simplified. I prefer the shadowman.

Then you can put your old armor on it by era and it will permanently retain and diplay what armor you had on in each expansion era. I only started saving my armor in TBL so I couldn't go back far, but I think these could be a very cool addition to housing.
  2. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Skyrim calls these mannequins...would love to have mannequins of myself armor from the various xpacs
    Wdor and Shindius like this.
  3. Angahran Augur

But will they randomly move around if they come to EQ ?
  4. Angahran Augur

What would be good would be a tinkered item like the Hero's Forge Suit Consolidator that takes a full set of whatever armor and creates a single, placeable item to show that suit. Obviously should have the option to break the item to get the pieces back.

Could have multiple options with different recipes that make them for each of the playable races and also male/female.
    Coagagin and Shindius like this.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

Not familiar with the Skyrim stuff. I thought of the shadowman because it already exists in game and could be a good way to get armor to display with minimal mod time. Sounds like we are on the same page though.

I could agree except two issues.

1) That's a lot of crafting recipes to setup.
    2) Most importantly, it's about displaying your armor from an era, not a specific set. In CoV I am wrapping up my very first 100% full set in in era T2 armor. All previous expansions, I had a mix of T2, T1 and in some cases group armor. That's limiting. I myself would prefer to be able to retire my CoV armor, regardless of which set it is from, as I replace it with ToL armor.
  6. demi Augur

I think that would be an excellent idea .. to have a way to show your past armor sets on a (Mannequins) dummy doll (ok i could not find out how to spell mannequin) lol im tired just got off of a 12 hour shift .. so shoot me ..

I guess i could scroll up :D ok I made the changes .. but im still tired
    Coagagin likes this.
  7. Angahran Augur

This could just be the same basic recipe and just add a blood of the specific race.
    Or make it like guildhall NPCs, those can be changed for race and male/female if I recall correctly ?
  8. Alnitak Augur

As far as I understand, only playable race npc models can "wear" armor, i.e. the game engine views all other models as simple graphics objects, while playable races can have an armor overlay (much more complex to implement). And if "giving" an armor to a "dummy" npc already possible in EQ, there is no functional mechanism to get an item back. In my estimation it would take quite a bit of coding to make it work bug-free and it only amounts to cosmetics in housing. I doubt it is worth the developers' time.
    Although, that would be a very cool and interesting feature and I am all for it.
  9. Angahran Augur

Actually this is already present in EQ. Just check out Tavid Dennant in the lobby. You can hand him items and get them back from him.
  10. Tevik Augur

I think it's a cool idea, but yeah there's probably a lot more to it than we realize to get it working properly. Armor graphics are different for each race, so you'd have to have some way to set that flag for what armor it displays, too.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

I protest! There should be a Shichael Meen as well.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

The shadowman is just a human? with the opacity set at 0%. The enchanter animation is also just apre-luclin human with the opacity at 0%. You can sometimes on zoning see the enchanter animation is just a pre-luclin player.

In concept, it would not be that complicated to get the enchanter animation to wear armor. We know that the animation recognizes the item slot and will not allow you to give them a second item of the same slot. So if those items had armor graphics and are on a 0% opacity player animation, and those items go into recognized slots, then there shouldn't be an issue getting them to display.

I'm not a game engineer and I freely admit I may have over simplified this.

NPCs can give items back, but honestly I was thinking them working more like a bank or bag. You right click on them and they open a bag that displays like a character inventory. Then you drop armor into the select slots. The armor that can display does and that which does not only shows up on /inspect. Only the owner of the manniquin can edit it but anyone can /inspect.

By that logic, very few things in the game should exist, like housing in its entirety for example.
    Stymie likes this.
  13. Alnitak Augur

OK, the development plan: The dummy would be an inanimate NPC of a particular race. It will be a banker, with 9 storage slots (7 for visible armor and 2 for weapons). Each slot has a non-removable bag with filters set to proper race, type armor or weapon, and correct slot. That is you can only place a properly matching armor/weapon in correct slots and for allowed (or exactly matching) race.
    All the bags are permanently opened and arranged into an overlay representing character slots overlay (like when you open Inventory dialog). In fact, actualy npc inventory slots with bags in them can be invisible, only overlay with bags content can be displayed.
    The interaction would be silimar to a banker - you can place an item in the bag if filters match or remove the item from there.
    Once item is placed in the proper slot then npc changes appearance to match the item.
    A little of development, a few new banker-armor dummy nps and ta-daa we got a new house decor item.

Let's do it !
  14. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Or you could just enslave a Vah Shir and make them stand there holding items & wearing your armor...just give them some cat nip now and their good.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

It could be possible that if the slots are setup to ignore race, class and diety then a single mannequin can work by just having it cast a permanent illusion on itself. Then the items you display don't have to be only items you yourself can wear. I myself would want to name my manniquin "Cov Era" but others might want to try to set them up as tributes to retired or lost friends so that work around might be better even if not just easier to code. I don't know if there would be some option added to allow them to display epics but from a tribute stand point being able to resemble an old friend could be a great option. Adding titles and surnames etc could be good too. I realize what I am talking about is starting to add a lot of work but it doesn't have to be done at once. It can start as a single option and they can add features to it over time.
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Not exactly.

It's been a while, but from what I remember, Tavid is a merchant, he *sells* you the items back. He is also a "quest" NPC. You hand him each item to complete each "quest," and he flags you to buy that item from his list of items.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

He only will take the items to hold from the Seeds of Destruction quest pieces. Then he gives you a Chronobine in exchange. When you're ready to get the quest piece back, you give him a Chronobine.

He does not accept any other stuff

Unless they expanded his pockets :D - his name used to be something Deeppockets before they renamed him after Dr Who guy