Mayong Mistmoor

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Anyone got a link to his history?

I could have sworn we killed him and this time he was actually dead!

I miss EQ lore forum. :(
  2. Riou EQResource

The EQ Lore was pretty much you can't kill gods outside of their planes, and even in their plane they can just be an Avatar instead of the actual god

The only god that has been killed so far for reals was Cazic Thule in the House of Thule expansion?
    Coagagin, Skuz and Shindius like this.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Mayong had a lot of influence on some of the earlier story (even if some of it was indirect). As far as him being Dead-dead I believe the last canonical thing that happened was his defeat in his battle to claim Solteris from Solusek Ro which stripped him off his godhood but his final line implies he's not actually dead.

"As the vampire Mayong Mistmoore lies dead on the ground his features begin to shrivel slowly and then more and more rapidly as if time were doing the cruel work of centuries upon the self-styled god. Mayong's body seems to fall in on itself, reduced to little more than a husk. You hear, as if from a great distance, a tiny wail of frustration and pain that seems to fade away into nothingness. All around you the light seems just a bit brighter and you sense that somehow the darkness that surrounded this creature of the night has been fully removed from the world.

The disembodied voice of Mayong Mistmoore speaks softly. 'As I said before, you are exceptional beings, far more exceptional than I ever imagined. You have undone me when I thought no force ever could.'

The disembodied voice of Mayong Mistmoore continues. 'It is a relief, in a way, to be free from the burdens of immortality. But I am sure mortality will begin to chaffe again soon enough...'"

So I guess he somehow resurrected or reincarnated back into his former mortal form (though still presumably as a vampire that doesn't age). Whether or not the 13th anniversary TOFS raid would be considered canon I couldn't say but it doesn't seem to contradict him being alive or his current state.
    -----Cinexa-----, Skuz and Ozon like this.
  4. jeskola pheerie

Here is a screenshot of what Mayong looks like in the new expansion with the latest EQ graphics updates:

[IMG]
    Tropi, Nniki, Tucoh and 1 other person like this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Video games and comic books: Where no one dies forever.
    Skuz, Nennius and Aenvar like this.
  6. CazRaX Elder

Lies, Jason Todd and Bucky are gone and will never return... wait, what year is it again?
  7. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

You can't keep a good vampire down...1 drop of blood is all it takes and with asslings dying all over the place it's no wonder
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Mistmoore is one of the most ancient "mortals", and if he is truly the "source of Vampirism" then he has been to Luclin before, and he must have given rise to the Coterie Vampires of Luclin so it is interesting that in the latest expansion he returns there for something.

His "lore" is purposefully vague, he has existed for millenia existing mostly in shadows rather than appearing overtly in historical references his existence is mostly alluded to and he carefully crafted a narrative that kept him a mysterious figure over the many centuries.

While we think old texts alluding to him being a figure of extraordinary dark powers were telling us something about him we only saw what he wanted us to see, he had essentially cultivated his own legendary status over centuries in order to manipulate Norrathians (including us players) into believeing he was this being of great dark powers he did this through many means, obscure texts allegedly written by ancient scholars that he probably created himself or had created by a close cadre of worshippers of various races and his progeny of created vampires, bizarre temples built to him that never named him directly, a multitude of false names and honorific titles he has gone by or had referenced.
    Strange symbolism & architectural references in the world of Norrath that were associated with him or a belief in his powers, and many cults.
    So his approach was a very carefully cultivated persona, a concocted narrative about who he really was, or might be, that stretches back far longer than any race can normally live for.
    And all of that planning over all that time was with the aim of attaining the powers of a God, which he succeeded at for a while, so he's had a taste of the divine life.

While he is most definitely an ancient being he may well not be as ancient as his legends claim, after all he is grandiose and proud and given to extravagance as part of his personality so it would not suprise me if he is not nearly as ancient as the legends claim him to be, maybe he is truly tens of thousands of years old, but he may be only a few, you can do a lot when you have had a few thousand years to work with I imagine.

I can't wait to find out what he is up to this time, he is one of my favourite EQ characters.
    Randomized and Riou like this.
  9. Wulfhere Augur

If Mayong was born as a dark elf, as he appears to have been, then he can be no older then the time of their creation by Innoruuk.
    Svann2 and Skuz like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Good point, but who is to say he was born a dark elf, he may have become one by some means, after all Innoruuk created Dark Elves through Torture.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

Sure maybe Innoruuk practiced on him to perfect the process? That would suggest that Mayong was born a high elf and is older.

Mayong may have volunteered because he was already, as a high elf, seeking immortality and power. Perhaps Mayong gave Inny the idea in the first place to further his own ambitions? After all, why would Innoruuk choose to torture Tunare's children when he was upset at Veeshan?
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Aneia Master

Stymie likes this.
  13. CazRaX Elder

3,000 years of torture, is Mayong at least that old?
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Definitely "ancient" what that translates into in actual EQ time I am not sure.
  15. Chaosflux Augur

Coterie vampires aren't related to Norrathian vampires

Mayong was alive when the sleeper was locked in his tomb, he was not born a dark elf, thats just the Visage he prefers and he grew to rather like dark elves. Theres more to it there but most is conjecture.

He's the oldest non Dragon left alive iirc.
    -----Cinexa----- likes this.
  16. bobbin Elder

Don't forget Uncle Ben
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If Mayong is the "Source of Vampirism" - as stated on his overseer profile amongst other places then ALL vampires are related to Mayong Mistmoore in a direct manner, they are all his progeny/creations or indirectly as created by other vampires he caused..
  18. dentalplan lisa needs braces

Luclin vampyres are just humanoids who have ingested Akheva blood and been transformed by it. They aren't the same creatures as Norrathian vampires at all.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Then they aren't vampires at all.
  20. Chaosflux Augur

Coterie are from mutagenic akhevan blood
    Trueborn are from Mayong

Now in our tabletop EQ campaign and the E M U I programmed we made Mayong Akhevan, his Akhevan name being a false cognate of Mayong Mistmoore: Matarun Eom Attaumis RI Xar (X makes an SH sound in akhevan) which translates to the master (who) refuses to be eternally dead in Akhevan. However unless one of the current devs played on my E m u I really doubt that's what they are doing, and him being the source of coterie isn't Canon in EQ1 or EQ2 live servers.