SK vs. Paladin Solo at 115

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Roguexx, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Maedhros High King

Only if its without a merc, no Blessing of the faithful and no Dragon Glyph.
  2. Szilent Augur

but why? they're powers your character has. I mean, it'd make some kinda sense if you were objecting to enc/shm buffs because they're not yours?
  3. Transporter Lorekeeper

Maedhros, You're no Sorious =p
  4. Maedhros High King

Cause its not impressive to do something when you're doing 220% more dps and taking half as much damage as you should be.
  5. Maedhros High King

Sorious wishes he could get a dps group for Zlandi raids.
  6. Szilent Augur

"should be"? should paladins not be using their abilities?
    PCSS, Shindius and Tatanka like this.
  7. aozs Augur

I can understand not wanting to use dragon glyph because it's an anomaly that escapes the intended design of general gameplay by turning anyone into a super tank for 5 minutes.

Blessing of the faithful is fair game though, IMO, and more of a clever use of game mechanics.
    PCSS and Wulfhere like this.
  8. Szilent Augur

That anyone can use it doesn't make it not fair game. Anyone can use buffs from shm & enc, anyone can equip raid drops, anyone can pop whatever potions. You also gloss right over that it does what it does for 5 minutes. Not forever. whether or not a player of any given class can negotiate through a feat of soloing's other requirements in that time is a substantial open question.
    PCSS and Shindius like this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Soloing a mission is impressive. Soloing it while eschewing unreliable buffs and consumables is more impressive. Classic gaming flex story
  10. aozs Augur

It's not about accessibility, it's that dragon glyph "breaks the game" by circumventing the intended level of challenge. I mentioned that anyone can become a tank to highlight the fact that it's very abnormal in a game, with a clearly defined tanking role and a select few classes built to perform that role, can suddenly have it filled by anyone by using this one ability, even if it's only for 5 out of every 10 minutes. (at least from the damage intake perspective, agro is a different story)

I think that's grounds for suggesting that the use of dragon glyph damages the legitimacy of such an achievement. At the very least, I'd consider "soloing with glyph" and "soloing without glyph" to be 2 separate categories of achievements.
    Stymie, PCSS and Maedhros like this.
  11. shiftie Augur

Soloing things in game is my favorite part of eq. All abilities are on the table… saying otherwise just seems bitter. Are we saying using glyphs on raids is cheating or ok cuz raids?

In the spirit of things ok in raids and not ok in groups… are you asserting that using raid gear in the group game is also cheating?
    Mykaylla, Laronk and Wulfhere like this.
  12. aozs Augur

I wouldn't use the word cheating since the devs put the ability in the game delibrately. It's more like an Easy Mode button. Same for raid gear in the group game - Easy Mode, not cheating.

Ordinarily it doesn't matter in the slightest but since we're talking in a thread focused on soloing a mission (with associated bragging rights), it's a pretty relevant part of the conversation.
  13. Szilent Augur

The broad, bright line of "there's no other characters there with you" is a striking one to arbitrarily ignore in favor of disallowing specific buttons or techniques piecemeal.
  14. Chaosflux Augur

We are hereby removing your banshee bane title because you used 7th and Kiss of Emarr the council has spoken
    Shindius likes this.
  15. Chaosflux Augur

My guy I assure you if I can solo Aaryonar or Zland or whatever but it takes me using native to the game tricks like glyphs, 7th, clickies, etc and Not clear exploits that takes absolutely nothing away from my achievement.

When 99.8% of the population can't even solo the content under similar circumstances. You can only put an asterisk on someone else's achievements, if you can do better.
    Shindius and Szilent like this.
  16. aozs Augur

Whether or not I can do it better is completely irrelevant.

The fact is that the dragon glyph specifically (and not any other ability in the game) creates an immense divide in capability. Regardless of how impressive an achievement may be, not using the glyph is far more difficult and far more impressive than using the glyph.

The problem here is that the glyph is so far outside of anything else in the game that it really does feel like an Easy Mode button. I used it to power through Three at Once in TBL and am not ashamed to admit that it basically handled the harder survivability aspects of the ach with a simple click of a button. I don't even consider it remotely comparable to accomplishing the same without the glyph, and I'm quite confident I'd have needed to get a lot better at the game to do it unglyphed.

That said, I'm aware that there are things that would not be possible without the glyph. I'm not attempting to diminish such accomplishments, and actually do appreciate seeing people push the limits of a game.

Circling back to the discussion at hand - I generally see it as this: if soloing Zlandicar (or other missions) on a pally without the glyph is possible, then doing it with the glyph is generally non-impressive. Regardless of whether or not 99.8% of players can do it at all.
    Maedhros likes this.
  17. Szilent Augur

Right. So. Have you soloed the missions without Glyph of Dragonscales? Has anyone? Your hypothetical bar to measure excellence remains conspicuously un-set. "If" someone runs a 3 minute mile, then running a 4 minute mile would indeed be a less mindblowing achievement. But that's a heck of an "if", right?
  18. Chaosflux Augur

I mean the SK in the video the OP is talking about clicked glyph at about 8 minutes in

Does that diminish his solo of Aaryonar? I don't think so, it's still impressive
  19. Thundersnake Elder

Here I was thinking that tanking Zlandi on a monk was something to be proud of. Insert canned response "SK OP". /snicker
  20. Repthor Augur

I used dragon glyph and couldent solo it zlandicar or aary on my warrior. I think my op glyph is broken plz fix daybreak kkthx
    Szilent likes this.