How can I tell if someone is hacking

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bizaro, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Pizacatto - CT Augur

There are plenty of hacks out there for all games, not just EQ. In regards to EQ, there are hacks, third party programs, sniffers, etc, and the best thing is Sony knows about ALL of them. They know how they run, what they're called and how to tell if you are using them. Since EQ has lost much of it's popularity over the years, no one is actively working towards updating these programs, so they stay in a stagnant state of 'working' but not adapting or progressing.

Once in a while, someone finds out about these programs (which I refuse to mention by name), and they think: Hey, I got some computer skillz (it's important that it's skills with a 'z'), I can sneak this through, and they get busted. They always get caught, this game is an old hat to the devs and they've seen all tricks any of us can throw at them. They get caught, and they get banned.

But there is one interesting angle. Let's say you group with someone using hacks. Are you guilty by association? If you are aware of them using the hacks and are complicit with their hacking, but not hacking yourself (mainly gaining by their hacking knowingly), I say: Yes, you are guilty. This is easy to breakdown for the devs. If you truly had no idea they were hacking, they just happened to be extremely lucky when knowing when and where a named mob spawns and what it's going to drop, then you are quite slow in the melon.

I've never hacked, never grouped with anyone that hacked, and have only seen a few in my time, and I don't recall ever seeing one in EQ. All the hacking I've seen were in other games, but given EQ's popularity and hardcore raiders back in the day, I have probably ran across someone or seen a hacker in action and didn't know it. The programs for hacking were subtle back then.
  2. Tegila Augur

i see one thing here that could easily explain your ban. you stated flat otu taht you'd "tried that" about dropping instances at the end before opening the chest to avoid the lockout, and that you were the one that opened the chest, this would explainwhy no one else got banned. however, this was something they fixed years back bc of a certain guild or 2 doing this with raids in underfoot...idk why they would ban you for it unless it was a task that somehow isnt under the blankt everyone-gets-lockout-if-in-zone-when-chest-opens you never know, but that right there was a bannable offense in years past, and woudlntsurprise me if it still is jsut not usually done.
  3. Leerah Augur

You're lucky. Alt+Enter has always, and continues to, crash EQ for me and most others. I keep in windowed mode for that reason. I now return you to the hacking discussion.
  4. Pizacatto - CT Augur

After seeing another thread, I think Bizaro was knowingly involved with some hacking and just doesn't want to fess up, and is instead claiming ignorance and innocence and is making a big ado about nothing.
    UnnamedPlayer, Nolrog and Synthemesc like this.
  5. Bizaro Journeyman

You are entitled to your opinion. I did not intentionally make multiple threads at the same time. My previously one had been temporary closed. When that happened I made another post, with a new topic, in a different section.
  6. Pizacatto - CT Augur

It wasn't temporarily closed, it was permanently closed and it's in this same section. You made passive aggressive statements and said you couldn't in good faith support SOE/EQ. Yet, here we are with another thread. Simply accept your fate, take a deep breath and come back fresh. Apparently you've been pestering the EQ CS folks about it, which is why you decided to take it to the forums when they shut you down.

These are just the facts as they've been presented.
  7. Bizaro Journeyman

The one I am referring to is open at the moment..I respect your point of view. I am sure if I was not personally involved it would be easy to analyze as well.
  8. Pizacatto - CT Augur

I agree.
  9. Cisco Elder

During the last rant thread that started on the mass bannings... The Devs basically said that programs like GINA, GTT and I believe theres something called Autofire? that are supposed to be ok. Something about how they read the log files, but dont manipulate it. If you got banned for "hacking" your either running the 3rd party program that isn't to be named, grouped with someone running that unnamed program and participating in bad stuffz, been boxed by someone doing bad stuffz, or exploiting tasks and what not. Haven't heard of any recent mass bannings that could potentially cause someone to be falsely accused. Went back and read what Maverick posted from Piestro, which is what I was looking for actually =D. I remember that thread going on for a while.
  10. WarSheol Augur

11. WarSheol Augur

The big difference there and reason why thats not a hack is because this gives you no unfair in game advantage :cool:
  12. Bizaro Journeyman

13. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Are you saying you rarely do this accidentally, or that you often intentionally interrupt the flow of the game code in order to warp your character out of danger?

Because that's pretty much the definition of an 'exploit', and absolutely bannable.
  14. Talif Augur

They're real, they got announced at Fan Faire that year. At the time they said they were going to make iPhone/Android versions of them, like most (all?) other games that use encryption keys have, but they never came around. Shame, I'd be using it today if they had.
  15. Bizaro Journeyman

I am saying if I need to maneuver my character with 0 to little lag it must be done in full screen. The eviltree raid can be extremely laggy! I usualy switch after phase 1 to full screen while running up to the top, then either stay there or switch back. I rarely do this, only when I must run and my fade is down, or there is dangerous terrain.

edit: also this gives me NO advantage in game. Mobs do not stop chasing me. I am almost positive I take damage during the transistion if it is possible to take damage.. I don't think this is it /shrug
  16. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

In your case, I would suggest not switching modes while on autorun then.

Are you still on Windows XP or earlier? I know with Vista+ the desktop is rendered by 3d card, so switching is (usually) faster.
  17. Notinterested Augur

The situation you are describing does not create any lag whatsoever on the network and without going into details has nothing at all to do with warping. Your client is still running like normal whether you see it or not and thats what the server sees. Warping is when you move to point B instantly and involves messing with the network or using third party hacking tools.
  18. Hatsee Augur

Agreed, all he's seeing is his machine struggling with windowed mode, popping to full screen, reducing the strain, and it looks like he may have warped, or something, but in reality all he did was stop the graphic lag.

Nothing wrong there.