Bard Bug: Song Gems Locking Up When Using Clickies - Mk II

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Tucoh, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Tucoh Augur

Still exists. I hope you appreciate my hacking of this forums notification system because this other thread is locked so I can't reply to you in it.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...hen-using-clickies.260889/page-4#post-3873689

I've tried everything in that thread to unstick my bard's songs to no avail. I have purchased a new computer to resolve the issue.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Tucoh Augur

Also, I've avoided purchasing any more ranks of Quicktime out of concern that it would exacerbate this issue or similar ones, is that still concern valid???
    Duder likes this.
  3. Herf Augur

Have you tried making a stopsong hotkey? That's how I fixed the problem when it happened before.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  4. aozs Augur

Bard issue and QT issues are separate. I'd recommend macro'ing /stopsong with the item clicks for the bard. In my experience, when the songs lock up, it resolves itself after some time.

For the QT issue - that was typically triggered by spells that cast fast normally and become instant under max rank QT. There were some fixes applied a while ago that make it less frequent, but my general impression now is that it can still occur. It's just quite rare.

FWIW I haven't seen it happen since I started playing again a few weeks ago. It's also easy to fix by casting any AA spell (I'm not sure if the same fix also works for the bard issue). IMO it's worth taking the newest ranks, but it might also be worth getting some other opinions before you go ahead and purchase it.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Yes. /stopsong, AAs, nothing worked. I couldn't even /camp. I tried futzing with it for about 10 minutes before just /qing out
  6. Tucoh Augur

I'm pretty sure it's because I had a modrod on one of my spam hotkeys. I took it off, which is a shame because it's one of the few ways to add mana regen on a bard.
  7. Wulfhere Augur

Just an idea, make sure your Windows PC is time synced. Check Date and Time > Internet Time tab and configure it. It has to be redone after most Windows Updates security patches and sometimes reboots. There are many EQ client problems stemming from a failure to time sync the client (and so desync with the server).
    MasterMagnus, code-zero and Nniki like this.
  8. Nniki Augur

This issue for bards pre-dates the cast time reductions from Quick Time.

In my experience, whenever /stopsong "works", it really isn't necessary. It's been passed around as the way to resolve song bar lockups, but in reality, in that scenario, if you just wait, it'll auto-resolve itself. It just appears to work since you're spamming it at the same time it resolves itself. There's some sort of wait timer involved there. Preventing it just requires not overlapping item clicks with song casts by stopping songs before using an item click (e.g. putting /stopsong before epic in a hotkey... as aozs was recommending).

But the issue Tucoh is reporting is different (and has been reported many times before) and can occur just by using item clickies without even running songs at all. It'll lock up the song bar until you reload your character in a zone (similar to the QT issue people were facing), whether that's camping and coming back (if it lets you) or zoning (can typically use Throne or Origin AAs when this lockup occurs).

Bards don't have an AA that can be used to resolve this like other classes did with their invis or feign AAs.

I do think it might be related to this, but I haven't done much testing around it.

The scenarios I have seen this occur within the past couple months are 1.) immediately after zoning, trying to use a clicky (often steamjet pack or RoS katana for me), 2.) using a fast casting clicky (e.g. Necromantic Dragon Bone) and then being knocked unconscious before it lands, and 3.) clicking an item just as the cooldown is reported as up on the client side (e.g. bard epic or the warm milk dispenser as pictured in the gif). Note all these clickies have recast timers associated with them.

The more recent times I have seen the issue, I've checked and my time has been slightly off, which is why I suspect this might be it.
  9. Tucoh Augur

I'd be curious to hear what issues in EQ are impacted by Windows time synchronization but just so for completeness here are my settings:
    [IMG]
  10. Duder Augur

Hit a disc or spell with a decent reuse. Set your clock back 1 hour. Zone. Yer ability reuse now is an hour longer. You might be thinking, can I set it ahead to make it pop quicker? That I don't know. I don't think it does though. There are various exploits with it that folks have gotten suspended for. So if you try it, it's at your own peril.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

Overseer tasks is one that immediately comes to mind. If your Windows clock is off even be a few seconds, it will cause practically all the timers associated with Overseer to bug out. It's REAL easy to see the effect with agent conversions.

Don't sync your clock and try to do some conversions...you'll get wierd countdown timers for task completion, and when the timer does finish, it may take several seconds after that...sometimes as much as a minute...before the task finishes. Sync your clock and do another conversion, and everything works perfectly.
  12. Soulbanshee Augur

Take it off time.windows.com and use something else like pool.ntp.org, windows.com you can get bad time drift not sure if its due to strata or not highly available. You must have rebooted within the past day, but there's a registry key you can change to lower it from re-syncing once a week to once a day if your computer stays on. Clock can drift due to the crystal timer on the motherboard not being accurate, or the CMOS battery going bad/dead, or overclocking the bus/CPU. Once a day should be enough to compensate for drift, if its going far out of sync within a day then something is bad on the computer.

Anything that relies on timestamps/server synchronization is impacted, this is an online/real-time game that doesn't have room for de-synchronization between the client and server. (Maybe) As much as 1 second off can cause client timing issues, merc revive/suspend timer and overseer completing timer are 2 of the possible ones. They can't just rely on the client timing it else that can be easily hacked to speed things up, so the timing has to be verified with the server and if whatever timestamp/calculation is off the client doesn't know to end the timer at the right time.
  13. Metanis Bad Company

My bard also experiences the song lockup. This happens when I try to click the bard epic while my melody is playing. I've found the easiest way to clear the problem is to zone the bard.
  14. Wulfhere Augur

Once a week is not enough to keep EQ client happy. I've set mine to once a day to alleviate severe problems with discipline, spell, and overseer timers. Symptoms include (not limited to):
    • Disc fades but you cannot activate another disc in the Combat Abilities window for many seconds
      • This one causes a lot of tank deaths and has prompted the tactic of using a Flash to safely transition
    • Buff icon is ticking down but the benefits/detriments have already ended many seconds ago
      • This is easy to verify testing run speed buffs. It also means you loose your protections and take debuff damage earlier then you know.
    • Spell recast time takes longer then listed on the spell
    • Spell cast time takes longer then listed on the spell
    • UX is locked up because of near death, charm, or fear (and perhaps quick time)
    • Out of Combat/Rest timer has ended but Tranquil Blessing button cannot be used
    • Merc revive, suspend, and switch buttons are not useable
    • Overseer quest takes many extra seconds to complete
    The game is almost unplayable with too much clock drift and there is no reason for it since the server and client code could maintain a synchronized simulation time. A proper fix needs to be implemented in this era of fast twitch, button spamming, timer laden EQ game play. Not to mention client hacking.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I use an app called dimension 4, which can be set to synch pc clock at user defined intervals, I set mine to 30 minutes, so far it's working out nicely for me.

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
  16. Stymie Pendragon

I recently watched a loving robot interview where J. Chan mentioned the problems that arose when they upgraded the server cpus that varied their speed based on load. It apparently messed up all sorts of game timings. Maybe there are remnants of that still going on.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  17. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Looks like next time my conversion times creep up into the 12-30s completion time, I need to try syncing my clock! I tend to 'bank up' my conversions, because that timer creeps up, and it bugs the crap out of me. Thanks!