How to Save a UI Layout?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ottsca, Feb 13, 2019.

1. ottsca New Member

Hi Folks,

I've noticed that after a week of raiding, parts of my UI have moved around a little bit. Accidentally dragged a hot bar a little with the mouse or resized the Extended Target window. As I'm spending 10 minutes fussing to get hot bars and chat windows to line up I thought there has to be an easier way.

I see where you can load a UI skin (I'm using default) and copy a UI skin including all the hotkeys, etc.... from another toon. Is there a way you can save a "template" UI you can copy to reset your UI to how you like it?

The only system I can figure out is to start a level 1 toon of the same class and then copy the UI from the main toon into that character (the template toon?). Then when I want to reset the UI on the main toon, I could just copy the UI from the "template toon."

Then I thought, doh, I'm making this much more complicated than it need be.

Thanks,

Spatters
  2. svann Augur

The file is in your everquest folder
    UI_charactername_server.ini
    You can just copy and rename to the new character name.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The other thing you can do, when you get the UI pieces where you want them, lock them. I keep everything in my UI locked, except for windows which are only up occasionally, like the map, inventory, AAs, etc.
  4. NoPEn0pe New Member

none of the locking or saving works. Windows just return to a default location no matter what I do. Why is this not already a feature? seems very simply to implement.
  5. Zunnoab Augur

That sounds like a file permissions issue. It's bad practice in modern programs to store user data with program data but EQ was designed when most home users used FAT32 with no file permissions at all.

Still back the UI files up though. Locked UI elements will wander around or for hotbuttons and bags sometimes annoyingly resize when changing display settings or UIs, then remain locked creating a really annoying situation to fix. With bags it can look like slots are missing when it happens, if they are all arranged to open at once and overlap.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Newer installs of EQ do not install under "Program Files (x86)" and I don't think they have this issue. If you are still playing with an old install (like I am), and it's still under "Program Files (x86)", then you can start EQ by right clicking the icon and selecting "Run as Administrator". That will take care of the issue you're seeing.
  7. Nolrog Augur

You need to camp out properly. If you /ex it will not save your window locations.
    Stymie likes this.
  8. Nolrog Augur

I just use the main toon as my template, and then ALT+O and Copy Layout and select that toon for every other one I make. I don't copy hotkeys or anything because they are not usually relevant to other characters; just the window locations.

(yes, I realize the age of this OP that I am responding to.)
    Samanagain and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  9. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I have a "spare" toon on my accounts that I load my primary toon UI's too. Generally some gobbledegook name on a server I don't play on. That way I can just reload it to my last configuration changes.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Nice. You may have found a valid excuse for the TLP servers to exist.
    Metanis likes this.
  11. Stymie Pendragon

You can also move the folder to somewhere other than the program file directories. You'll have to setup new shortcuts and such, but EQ doesn't actually require an install to work. I'm pretty sure a thumbdrive will work fine depending on the speed of the usb port..

On a side note, when I try uninstalling from control panel it generally doesn't work for me. I get a failure message and have to regedit to get rid of the game completely. I had to figure that one out quickly a few years ago when IT emailed me out of the blue telling me to get EQ off their laptop. :)
    Zunnoab likes this.
  12. Zunnoab Augur

I considered posting that but if they did something to bake in restricted file permissions rather than inheriting them trying to explain how to fix it to someone who doesn't know how file permissions work would be a daunting task.

It's true it's probably just inheriting the restrictions though.