How to Report Cheaters/Botters

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Razorfall, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Razorfall Augur

2. Zunnoab Augur

Just be absolutely sure before wasting their time. I remember a particularly ridiculous moment not long after I started playing the game when I was leveling up my shaman's spell skills and someone thought they were being clever giving my character one copper. Apparently sitting there casting over and over was cause enough for them to be obnoxious.

It doesn't help "bot" is slang for "box" too and often isn't even used talking about people using programs to cheat by automation.
  3. Axel Furry Hats OP

Could the person handing you the copper also be reported for bullying/disrupting other player's gameplay? Like, the intent is obviously clear that you are trying to harass someone else while they are playing, regardless of their cheating status.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It likely could and people breaking the rules to try an catch or punish cheaters tend to get punished for that as the cheaters also know how to report things.
    Coagagin and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Seriously? I always thought it was only bad faith trolls who did that, in order to muddle the discussions!

Are non-trolls really using the 2 terms interchangeably, unironically? :eek:

And what "new steps" are you talking about?
    Elyssanda, Kaenneth and Duder like this.
  6. Duder Augur

7. Leigo You come here often?

God yes.. I hear people's boxes referred to as bots weekly. Honestly, why would you want to be even remotely in the same field as botters?
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Boxes are not Bots.

Bot = RoBot (not human).

Box = Person using more than one PC (can be virtual, as in two instances of EQ on the same computer), PCs used to come in big beige boxes (desktop or tower).

It's not rocket science.
  9. Zunnoab Augur

Yeah I don't know if it's Stromm culture, Luclin/Veeshan culture, or both but somehow "bot" became slang for "box." No, it doesn't make sense. I wonder if I'd annoy anyone if I unilaterally changed our roster notes to Alt... Lol
  10. Stymie Pendragon

I have a sneaking suspicion that the same people use ban and suspension the same way. /loosers :)
  11. Bigstomp Augur

I've accidentally tried to hand probably hundreds of people items (easy to click the wrong person in a busy area). Unless it was repeatedly over and over, I don't see how trying to hand someone something once is harassment.

Edit: Although I am fully onboard with making it easier to report cheaters with something that will actually cause them to take action.
  12. Moege Augur

Just like people use loser and looser ?
  13. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

This bothers me more than any other word being spelled incorrectly.
    Drives me ape . I am glad I am not the only one.
    Flatchy likes this.
  14. Duder Augur

Pretty sure I've heard you refer to boxes as bots on more than one occasion ;)
    Bigstomp likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I could be wrong but I think there is a big difference between trying to hand over items and trying to hand over a single copper.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

It's entirely possible although unintentional if it did happen. You tend to pick up language from others.
    Duder likes this.
  17. Shredd Augur

I just get sic and tired of folks who Magically pull place holders to their Box group from anywhere in the zone. In Terror of Luclin I will petition folks I see doing this.
  18. Zunnoab Augur

Firstly my one copper trade example was from like 2003. I'm not saying it's a common problem. Secondly I got a crazy person sounding speech that they were glad I wasn't a bot.

I'm just saying be sure before reporting. Just alt tab two boxing on retro raids I confess I've missed tells directed to my bard (main) for hours while primarily focused on healing. Now consider some six box with specifically stated to be allowed software that lets them send key presses to different game instances.

I think I've heard seeing melee classes move in unison to adjust position while attacking mobs is a good red flag someone is breaking the rules since allowed software can't do that?

I'm pretty sure being a good puller isn't evidence of cheating. Be aware some of us can do that, especially if the placeholder is vulnerable to a bunch of abilities. I used to regularly split the Qvic M'Shas for example.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I've pulled mobs across a zone. Not often but there were times when it was useful.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  20. Duder Augur

So pulling mobs is bad? There are tools that certain classes have to help deliver a mob anywhere they'd like to bring it. As well classes with track to alert them when monsters have spawned. I think you must have meant something else but the way you worded it sounds like you don't like people who pull.
    Zunnoab likes this.