EG7 Acting CEO (and Daybreak Games CEO) Ji Ham Presentation and Q&A

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fuelforfire, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I definitely dont think EQ is one of their upcoming BIG investments. But I am hoping they will give it some decent love and I am not ready to throw that hope onto the junk pile of gaming fails.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The funniest comment in the presentation is that EG7 has done a terrible job of communication. Sort of funny because Daybreak was far worse then EG7 in my opinion.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Companies has been dealing with transitions since the existence of companies.... But agreed some short term pain can be associated with such changes.
  4. kizant Augur

I don't know about people but I'm sure at least 2 million bots have played EQ.
    IblisTheMage, Stymie and Skuz like this.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, time to buy a clue ;)
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Ok, how much Krono for you to explain this clue? Businesses don’t want to dump more money into something for minimal gain. How is it going to make them a multiple of what the current revenue?

Unless, they’re spending money on getting EQ to be a mobile franchise then the growth isn’t there. All of their growth comes from versions released 20 years ago.

How does spending an extra $1mil on EQ1 get if $10 mil more in revenue?
    Stymie likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Holly
    Prathun
    Narlee
    Froo

I hadn't been including Holly in the 3 team members so that does make 4 personnel the team lost last year.
    Naylie is a returning dev / re-hire.
    Also Pip was taken on prior to the departures of last year and got his feet wet writing many/all of the quests in CoV.
    Not sure how many in Sancus's list are new hires since those 4 left, but all of them are warmly welcomed I am sure.

Overall while there are indeed still reasons to be pessimistic there also reasons to be optimistic.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sancus like this.
  8. Sancus Augur

Edit: Never mind, you're right. I had my years mixed up. Thought Froo was 2019.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You postulated they make 4:1 on money spent on EQ.

If that's minimal gain, then I salute your portfolio!

You also stated it's not worth it unless they can get to 8:1. Listen, if I can spend $100 to make $400, I'll do that all day long, never caring that I can't get to an 8:1 ratio.

Also, do some research on net and gross profit margins for companies in general. You may learn a few things.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Profits within Darkpaw Games, namely EverQuest's profits, has long been funneled to other projects.

Are we to assume, based on your expert research, that EG7 will suddenly re-direct these profits back into EverQuest?

If so, you're dreaming. Time to wake up! In all likelihood, any foregoing profits are now funneled into other EG7 projects to prop them up, which mitigates seeking additional financing for their implementation.

It really doesn't matter what arguments or point-counterpoint we make here - whatever plans EG7 has for EverQuest have long been set in motion. We're seeing some of the initial results of those plans now.

I know you all hate what I have to say. The reality is EG7 is NOT currently investing heavily in EverQuest. Set your expectations accordingly.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If they spend enough resources on EQ1 to make it look "current gen" enough in trailers, how many extra subs would they gain?

Versus how much would they need to spend to make a fresh mmo from scratch, to gain the same amount of new subs.

Wouldn't it be a safer bet to invest in an mmo that has kept going for 20 years, vs. an mmo no-one has heard about yet?
    A new mmo is risky, EQ1 has already proven to be a safe bet.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You whiffed on my post, pretty hard. Nothing you commented on was directly related to my argument.

I used the 4:1 that was from the post I replied to. You can see it in the quote.

My post isn't debating the merits of a 4:1 return on money, but rather the impact on increased spending versus EQ1's revenue. As I stated before EQ1's revenue has had growth due to re-releasing versions of the game from 20 years ago.

Let's say you double EQ1's budget, what's the guarantee that the revenue will double? They make a great return for little investment. There's no just no incentive to invest in game, outside of making necessary investments for longevity.

Again, please share with me what growth you think EQ1 can experience with focused investment?
  13. Stymie Pendragon

My understanding is that in order to retain a license, game companies have to release prior to the license expiring. I believe that's why the 02' Tony Hawk game was released on console in a nearly alpha state by Activision under the "use it or lose it" premise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3mwex2/activision_press_release_from_2002_states_that/
    Jumbur likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It all depends on what type of game it is, a licensing deal expiring for a single player game has a different impact then a licensing deal expiring for an online MMO.
    Stymie likes this.
  15. Nniki Augur

Pip actually got started just prior to the TBL expansion (came over from H1Z1). I believe he did some of the Esianti quests. He's been moving right in.
    Skuz and Elyssanda like this.
  16. Nniki Augur

I could be wrong, but I don't think they've done any official work in creating a 64-bit client in many years now. Might be thinking of their upgrades to 64-bit data types for some things, but those were a separate issue and already compatible with a 32-bit client. As I understand it, the most recent work was being done by Mitch Evans before he left (and afaik that work was being done in his free time). It'd be nice to get it over that hump though.

I think the team numbers have been trending positive lately, which is nice to see. It's a shame to have lost the ones we did, but that's reality. It's also unfortunate it takes so long for new members to become productive, which also takes time away from current team members. It can often take 6+ months for developers (in general, not necessarily EQ) to become fully productive, and with as much as there is to EQ, I could see it taking much longer here for someone totally unfamiliar with the game. Fortunately, some of the recent team members have come from QA or have a guide background, which I'm sure helps.

As far as code base quality, I'd agree they've done a lot of work fixing code issues and improving code stability (it might just not always be obvious to people when the most critical issue, server lag, remains); however, I do feel design issues grow faster than they are resolved.
    Riou, Sancus and IblisTheMage like this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You can blame Pip for the placement of the Stratos collections! :p
  18. Elyssanda Bardbrain

nono, that was all Absor, he bragged about it.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

20. Elyssanda Bardbrain