SK vs. Paladin Solo at 115

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Roguexx, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Roguexx Journeyman

Hey guys, I have seen the videos of the 115 raid geared SK soloing CoV group missions (Zlandi and Aary are what I saw). Are paladins able to solo content like that as well, or is that just an SK thing? I am trying to decide between an SK and a Paladin and like the idea of a paladin (I am fine with lower dps and like the prospect of group heals). However, the goal is to try to see what crazy stuff I can pull off solo ultimately. For that purpose, are SKs and Paladins equally capable if in the same top end raid gear (I raid)? ***this is not a troll*** I am genuinely curious as to the solo ability comparison between the two classes at the highest level of the game.

Thanks!
  2. Maedhros High King

Seems like a troll tbh. :p
    I haven't seen the videos. Are we talking actually solo the COV missions or using a merc?
    Somehow people have equated using a merc as still soloing when it is anything but.

The sad reality is that a SK can be nearly immortal with epic click and mortal coil, whereas a paladin does not have those tools.
    A SK has a short window while those effects are up that if they can do enough dps quickly enough they can survive in content that they probably could not otherwise.

I don't think a paladin could consistently solo the missions.
    You'd have to get a Blessing of the faithful proc off a trash mob to even have a sniff at it.
    Probably still not enough DPS to avoid being overrun by the drakes on Crusaders.
    You'd have to be creative with using a fire charge to maybe do it on Aaryonar if you didnt run out of mana before you get Aary to 60%.
    Might be able to hang on and do it on Vulak, but ffs that would take a LONG time.
    The only one that I can really see being possible is Zlandicar, but it would require using a Glyph and thats pretty lame. Would still be a lot of luck involved both with slay undead and with the amount of dmg Zlandi can put out per round.

If your goal is to solo content that other classes can't for the weird flex, go SK.
    PCSS likes this.
  3. Roguexx Journeyman

Yeah, I am not attempting to troll at all. I just saw him solo Aary and Zlandicar (no merc) so I was wondering if the other knight class can do similar. Paladin seems very appealing but I shart a brick when I saw that video of the Sk so now it has me second guessing.
  4. Riou EQResource

He was trying to solo the other 2 missions, as well, but hasn't gotten around to it yet I think
  5. Roguexx Journeyman

So in your opinions, the top paladins can't solo the 2 missions he did? Dang, I was kind of hoping the answer would be yes haha (breaking my paladin dreams here!)
  6. Maedhros High King

If we are talking about Terces, he is a special player.
    Don't think for a minute that any old person can buy a SK off player auctions and zone in to a mission and have the same results. The things he can solo that other people can't are sometimes the product of a LOT of practice and timing. He's always asking me what I think I can solo and its just not a very big part of the paladin class tool kit right now.
    I remember he solo'd the Talendor mission in ROS while current and that his timing of discs and abilities was a big part of it.
    Most recent missions will reset if a mob is idle for too long so I wonder if hes going to be able to pull those off.

I said I think that Aary and Zlandi are possible, but there would need to be a lot of tricks pulled that I think go against the spirit of saying "I can solo that".
    If I have to get a special killing spree proc and use Glyph of the Dragon scales then while that wouldn't be cheating, it would feel like cheating to me.

Final thought, most of the game is meant to be played in a group.
    Not many classes excel at soloing and even the ones that can solo somewhat efficiently can add even more in a group setting. Getting to flex on the fact that you can solo a mission like Zlandicar that takes a group 30 seconds to kill is just not something that interests me.
    PCSS likes this.
  7. Roguexx Journeyman

The toon's name is Zurril in the Youtube video. Thanks tons for the feedback Maedhros and the rest of you guys =)
  8. Chaosflux Augur

Doable if you have enough practice and skill. But the chances of you as an individual putting the time into a character to get the gear and skill to do it is pretty low.

I say that because doing solo feats like that takes alot of time, and most people don't invest that kind of time in the game anymore, but no Paladins aren't equally as capable as SKs in today's game of doing that.

Hell there's plenty of SKs that can't solo those missions either because they have not put the time in to learn how.
  9. Kenre Journeyman

Pally on Zland? Easy enough since the dragon is undead.
    Pally on Aary would be very tough.
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Maedhros High King

I assure you, pally on Zland is not "easy enough". Zlandi has the highest damage output of any of the dragons in these missions. While yes, I can do big time dps against him if I have a healer and can use my 2hander, trying to solo him becomes trying desperately to stay alive while hoping that my slays with my 1hander are enough to kill him.
    Laronk, PCSS and Stephen51 like this.
  11. Chaosflux Augur

Yeh its by no means "easy" it is however with enough practice and some luck firmly in possible territory. Now the amount of attempts where you don't win till you get past the learning curve is where most people go yeh no I am not messing with this anymore.

It's like any of the really cool solo feats done by solo artists in this game, most players aren't going to mess with it because it's a massive time sink, especially in the modern game where most of the players that have the gear to do it, play rather casually.
  12. josh Augur

Frankly I just think paladins are better at remembering the first rule of OP club. Don't talk about OP club, especially not on the forums.

But, at the moment, glyph exists and the fire proc can be obtained in the mission. I know he did it before the fire proc was added, but right now, it's not that hard.
    Wayylon, Auspice, PCSS and 2 others like this.
  13. Ozon Augur

These you tube videos are going to be the death of the game I swear. Not every SK can do that, even fully raid geared with nugget gear, max aa, etc etc. No not everyone can do that. Please stop.
    Wayylon, Shindius and Ezbro like this.
  14. Randomized Augur

Scientist have discovered hundreds of elements over the years, everyone is capable of doing the same things right!?
  15. Qimble Augur

With dragon glyph you should be able to keep yourself alive while using offensive discs + armor and a 2 hander. I have not attempted to solo any of the other CoV missions, they aren't undead so they are not worth my time. ToV solo'ing all of them isn't trivial but it's very doable, if I can't get any other experienced people to help me running a newbie through I will usually just solo and TA them, that way I can get them almost all of the achieves on a single run.
    yepmetoo likes this.
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Dragon glyph. Zland group mission is soloable by a paladin.

SKs have been soloing it since like week 1 =P

Now, aary, soloing that is impressive. The healing necessary as you go through the event makes me wonder how he did it...course, I'm too lazy to go watch it =P
  17. Maedhros High King

One of the points I was trying to make is that if you have to use Dragon Glyph to solo something, even though its not cheating, it feels like cheating.
  18. Elemental Augur

You want a video of my paladin soloing Zlandi?
  19. Repthor Augur

yes Elemental we do nice high resolution and also provide popcorn
  20. Achillez Elder

I took a look at the Zlandicar solo video and found it was from February and the SK said he was in full ToV raid gear + CoV raid 2h. Not to say it is not possible now, but I am pretty sure Zlandicar in the group mission for a period of time was ridiculously weak, and got a big bump in it's difficulty (specifically in his damage output). I don't recall Aaryonar changes but could have been similar.

Anything not undead for a paladin is going to be extremely slow, boring and painful. While they have tried to add damage boosts like crushes, they are next to negligible in the long run. While I can tear through undead, soloing any CoV or even ToV live mob takes a long time, I think it is close to a 20 minute fight to kill Ol' Finney.