Anti Summoning Augments and/or AA's

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

Are there any augments that reduce the chance to summoned? Also, am I just off the rails to think that an anti-summoning AA would be a good idea?
    Joules_Bianchi, Duder, Raslk and 3 others like this.
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

Nope, I agree with you whole-heartedly.
    Coagagin, Duder and Raslk like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

There isn't really a chance to be summoned, you can't resist it and the mob doesn't roll dice to determine if it summons im a given tick.

What i really want is an aug or AA that increases the min range of summoning so the mob two feet from me doesn't start a ping pong chain while tanking.

I'd also take an aug that increased the summon cooldown too.
    Duder likes this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just get rid of it.

Not a raid mob? Not a named? Then don't summon.
  5. Allworth Elder

I agree!

The ability for NPCs to summon should only be granted to deities, uber bosses, and other special cases. Instead far too many generic mobs have this ability. This ability has long been a crutch for developers who are too busy to invent interesting abilities that would challenge players. No other MMORPG in history has ever given NPCs this ability.

Summoning discourages many zones and parts of zones from being enjoyed by soloers and small groups. Players naturally avoid zones where mobs are over-powered and instead gravitate where mobs are not over-powered.

I understand that the ability to summon was probably added into EQ to prevent raids from kiting boss mobs which would trivialize the encounter. But it's used far, far, too often.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Summoning was added to the majority of trash during/after VoA to stop kiting. :rolleyes: Up until then it was only on bosses and the occasional trash mob type.
  7. Randomized Augur

Let’s just get rid of mobs attacking us altogether! They should just stand there and hand us our loot as we run past them! RAWR! ;)
  8. Angahran Augur

At least remove the ability of grey con mobs to summon!

Also, if a mob has any type of 'knock back' ability then DO NOT also give it summon! Ping Pong is not fun!
  9. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

/disagree... as a tank it's always helpful to have a mob that flings you immediately summon you right back to your rightful spot kicking its butt.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It's all fun and games until the summon positions you with your back facing the mob and it instantaneously backstabs you (this does happen).
    Angahran likes this.
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Summoning as a tank is annoying, because even if you're in melee range of the target, it will still summon you and force you to back up a step so you can see and melee it again. It's not hard to adjust to, it's just tedious.
    Laurana and Skuz like this.
  12. Angahran Augur

Or those annoying mobs that summon you INSIDE them, forcing you to run around like an idiot to reposition yourself.

Almost as dumb as "You cannot see your target" when fighting a DRAGON the size of a house because one toenail is behind a tiny rock.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Mob summoning is there for three reasons. One is to prevent kiting. As a druid who used to kite or root-rot, it can be annoying. However, it is reasonable on some mobs, I guess. I'm not sure why but Darkpaw feels we shouldn't be able to do that on many mobs.

The second reason is to prevent exploiting. It is possible to position yourself so you can hit mobs but they cannot hit you. To prevent this, the mob will summon you.

The third reason is in special circumstances the mob will summon for special reasons or flavor, "You will face me, coward!". Generally rare types or for named, quest, or raid mobs.

There may be some room to improve the summoning to prevent being summoned behind or inside mobs and other issues.

Summoning is not going away. What would be nice would be removing the bad parts.
    Stymie, Yinla and Skuz like this.
  14. Randomized Augur

Where are these mobs you speak of!? lol last I checked, mobs have like 2x the hit box that player characters do. It's always annoying seeing that you're getting wailed on by multiple mobs and seeing the text "your target is too far away, get closer!"

The heck they are! They're hitting me just fine and they have little baby T-rex arms! I've got a Mace that's twice my wood elf's height! lol
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

There are ways but we are not permitted to discuss how to exploit on these forums. I never use them, by the way. My account is too important to me to ever risk being banned.
    Wyre Wintermute, Skuz and Randomized like this.
  16. Tucoh Augur

Fanra is right about it being anti exploit measure but i feel like in 2021 it's a bit outdated. If a necro wants to camp out on a cliff and DoT a bunch of confused trash mobs to death, who cares. As long as named mobs summon it's not a huge difference.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

Just watch your agro.
  18. Randomized Augur

I guess i've done this in the past before, but I was under the impression it was more based towards melee
  19. Allworth Elder

In Old Sebilis, both the Sebilite Guardian (level 53 rare creature) and the Necrosis Scarab (level 53 rare creature) have the summon ability. Either they summoned from the beginning with the release of Ruins of Kunark in 2000 or summoning was added to them as a result of all named mobs getting the ability.

Does anyone know the timeline for when summoning was introduced into EQ?
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Very early on. I believe all mobs over 50 could summon, at least by the time Velious came out.

At some point after that, they decided to not have ALL post-50 mobs summon.