IS THIS EVEN LEGAL??

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Iamkarma, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Iamkarma New Member

Is this name even legal?
    Aaabaarter?

Can someone explain please.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hmm Well, IMG could refer to many things. Perhaps if you were more specific.

P.S. When I posted this I only saw IMG.
  3. Flatchy Court Jester

Does not matter soon as you make that i will make Aaaabaarter!
    Shanarias and Stymie like this.
  4. Elyssanda Bardbrain

back before you could get things parcelled to you, getting things from the bazaar or selling in /barter was kinda like using old phone books, first alphabetically would show first. so lots of companies used to do something AAAutoRepair, etc.. since they changed how the /bazaar and /barter functions with the limits of one line item per item name rather than one person flooding the market with 1 line per item, lots of different sellers come up now so we can see best prices easier.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Who cares?

I use the search function for anything I want to look up in the /baz. The parameters might be, collectable or 1hand or price limits, familiars, prize etc.

But at no time do I look for who is first alphabetically. At times I will look up a specific trader but only because they have had good prices in the past.

So unless he has something I am looking for then I would never see him.
    code-zero and Smokezz like this.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Is the person in the game right now? If so.... you just might have your answer.
    Stymie likes this.
  7. Duder Augur

Why wouldn't it be? The book was closed on this case before you even thought to make a post. I'm mind boggled as to why you think it's illegal/against the rules to begin with, or why you care.
    Ozon likes this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Oh, I get it now. If you say the name right is sounds like your from Boston or New Jersey in the US - its an accent. Where they say Caaaar for car. So the name is really just "Abarter" but because of the accent they spelled it that way.

disclaimer: this is a joke
    Dilquan and Stymie like this.
  9. niente Developer

There used to be a bug where you could have 3 consecutive letters in a name if the first letter was capitalized (A != a). This name shouldn't work any more, but anyone with the name already gets to keep it.
    Vumad, Dilquan, Svann2 and 3 others like this.
  10. Stymie Pendragon

I still don't get it, but as someone originally from SE Maine, I like CatPaws explanation the best! Bahhh Habahh, yeah, that sounds about right:)

Edit: That's Bar Harbor for those that don't speak New England.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you are filtering by seller name you're doing the Bazaar thing wrong anyway imho.
    disclose, code-zero and Flatchy like this.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

I had to change my name when I server transferred my original toon years ago.
    My perfectly valid name shared a name with a fairly famous mob. I wish I could get that name back under the get to keep it rule.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  13. Visitor Augur

Tried to make a toon recently with 3 letter in a row - was disallowed, for the 3 letters.
  14. Randomized Augur

It’s not so much you looking for him, it’s the fact that assuming multiple people have the same item you’re looking, at the same price, his name will be at the top of the list thanks to alphabetical order.

So in a sellers/buyers market, assuming all prices equal, he will always be at the top of the list, and it’s just humor nature to pick the first option (again assuming all things equal).
    Elyssanda likes this.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Valid point. If the Baz search worked correctly. It doesn't. The baz item listing is seriously flawed so you really have to know how to jury rig the different searches it to see the correct results, regardless of who is listing it.

But being the cantankerous player I am, I usually choose the person in the middle just cause I know the person who created a name like that did it just to be first.

Just like I never choose the seller who is 1 plat under the other selling prices. Or the sellers who price stuff 1234 or 567 etc or 1111 or 555. They have their superstitions, I have mine.

We all play our own way.
    Shanarias and Elyssanda like this.
  16. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

17. Randomized Augur

In what way may I ask? I guess I've never had an issue. It shows all items (up to the limit) with everything that's got what you're searching for in the name.

Then you can sort it from lowest to highest price (or vice versa), alphabetical order (item or buyer), and then you've got the search options to narrow it down even more.

I guess we could use /barter as an example too. Like if you wanted to sell Spider Silk, since it's part of the name, you'll also see a lot of Velium Spider Silk for sale since Spider Silk is part of the name.

But that one, you can also sort from highest price to lowest, and again, assuming all prices are equal, it'll put the buyers in alphabetical order again (so this is where the "aaa" is going to come out on top)
  18. Iamkarma New Member

I love all your comments. I should have been more clear. I tried to create a very cool name that had three of the same letter back to back to back then some other letters but DB kept telling me that I can't use three of same letters in a row. So I assume that this name Aaabaarter should be changed becuase it has Aaa (three in a row (back to back to back).of the same letter. And yes my name I wanted was clean and not taken (well because it can't have three of the same letter in a row). I am just curious.

Now someone asked if the character was in the game now. He is on all the time.
  19. Crystilla Augur

Just in case you didn't see, Niente answered your question above.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  20. Leigo You come here often?

I do hope that's not a player name there.. since that would violate the forum rules :/